No power from Onan 5500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbie1

Hi everyone. I'm new to this and hoping someone can point me in right direction. I bought a 2000 Fleetwood bounder shore power works great onan 5500 runs great but get no power from it. Had rv tech come look at it he said power at junction box but no power coming through to converter running gen,reverse grounding error but no error on shore power. Suggested to install 30 amp plug in gen box and just plug shore power cord into it when power needed so question I have is do I just tie into the wires at junction box? Off 1 breaker or both? Etc etc. Not very knowledgeable about this stuff but want to learn

Not very knowledgeable about this stuff but want to learn
The Onan generator is supplying 120V power because the way that they are designed, as soon as you lift your finger from the start switch the engine will die if there is no 120V output.
Had rv tech come look at it he said power at junction box but no power coming through to converter running gen,reverse grounding error but no error on shore power.
As a career electrical service technician, I have no idea what he meant by "reverse grounding" and if that is an accurate description of his diagnosis, he doesn't either. That said, it does sound like he suspected that your power transfer device isn't working and I would tend to agree, assuming that your RV has one. It used to be very common for RVs to have a power outlet supplied by the generator and located in the area where the power cord is stored and you just plug the cord into it when not on shore power and thus connect it to the generator. The first thing you need to do is to look carefully in the cord storage area to see if there is such an outlet, and if there is, turn off shore power, plug your cord into it and then start the generator again to see if it works.
images

Suggested to install 30 amp plug in gen box and just plug shore power cord into it when power needed so question I have is do I just tie into the wires at junction box?
You need to get help from someone who understands electrical wiring to do this safely and properly.

The Onan generator is supplying 120V power because the way that they are designed, as soon as you lift your finger from the start switch the engine will die if there is no 120V output.

As a career electrical service technician, I have no idea what he meant by "reverse grounding" and if that is an accurate description of his diagnosis, he doesn't either. That said, it does sound like he suspected that your power transfer device isn't working and I would tend to agree, assuming that your RV has one. It used to be very common for RVs to have a power outlet supplied by the generator and located in the area where the power cord is stored and you just plug the cord into it when not on shore power and thus connect it to the generator. The first thing you need to do is to look carefully in the cord storage area to see if there is such an outlet, and if there is, turn off shore power, plug your cord into it and then start the generator again to see if it works.
images

You need to get help from someone who understands electrical wiring to do this safely and properly.
Only outlet is where shore power cord attaches

Attachments

• 16853936296548997111012583988905.jpg
    16853936296548997111012583988905.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 9
Only outlet is where shore power cord attaches
Does your RV have an automatic transfer switch (ATS) as that is quite likely where the problem is. They do fail and after 20+ years of use that would not be surprising. If you are not familiar with RV 120V electric principles and use of a volt/ohm meter, you probably need to get help from someone who is.

Sounds to me that the tech is telling you to bypass the transfer switch. He saw power from the gen at the junction box feeding the transfer switch. He said to hook up a plug there. Seems clear enough to me. Take a 30A plug and connect the wires right at the junction box. This will get you going pretty cheaply instead of replacing the transfer switch on a 23 year old RV.

Once the plug is installed, it becomes your shore power #2.

Does your RV have an automatic transfer switch (ATS) as that is quite likely where the problem is. They do fail and after 20+ years of use that would not be surprising. If you are not familiar with RV 120V electric principles and use of a volt/ohm meter, you probably need to get help from someone who is.
I'm not sure anymore lol ive checked everywhere that they say they usually are and can't find one anywhere

Sounds to me that the tech is telling you to bypass the transfer switch. He saw power from the gen at the junction box feeding the transfer switch. He said to hook up a plug there. Seems clear enough to me. Take a 30A plug and connect the wires right at the junction box. This will get you going pretty cheaply instead of replacing the transfer switch on a 23 year old RV.

Once the plug is installed, it becomes your shore power #2.
Ok ,so in the junction box which is right in beside the gen do I just tie in with the existing connections to coach wiring or do I disconnect the wiring that goes into the coach and just take the power and neg straight from gen to plug? I'm assuming that shore power and gen power are both wired separately to the transfer switch and it goes to breaker and fuse box, then from there to all outlets etc.

The tech probably suggested to tie in and leave the wiring in place. If there is room for an additional wire(s) then that helps to hold it in place and safe from touching other wires.

I have a '00 model Bounder 36S. My transfer switch is behind the electrical panel that's in the cabinet above the fridge. Kind of a PITA. I think I'd have to remove the electrical panel to get to it.

I have a '00 model Bounder 36S. My transfer switch is behind the electrical panel that's in the cabinet above the fridge. Kind of a PITA. I think I'd have to remove the electrical panel to get to it.
Hi , not sure what you mean pita but I did pull the panel with breakers and fuses out and all wires coming in just go directly to breakers and grounds

I'm not sure anymore lol ive checked everywhere that they say they usually are and can't find one anywhere
Follow the shore cord wires to see where they go. Or the generator wires. The two should meet at the ATS, if you have one. If not, the shore cord wires go directly to the load center main breaker and the generator wires go to a female outlet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom