No Power to Convection Microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rclark

Hello all, I need help again!!  ???

In my Pace Arrow the convection microwave had been working, we returned home from the game 3 weeks ago and I turned the switches off to disconnect all batteries.  Well today I started getting ready for the trip this weekend and the lights i.e. clock on the microwave doesn't even come on!  :mad: I did some reading here and went and checked the breakers and fuses below the frig and also pushed the resets on all default outlets, there are 3!! Does anyone know where to possibly look for the malfunction???

Thanks Randy

Randy,

Do you know if the outlet that services the microwave is live?  Have you plugged in a test light or appliance to prove it has electricity?

If it has, then the problem is in the microwave.

If the outlet is dead, unscrew the outlet to determine if the wires are live, and if the outlet is defective.  If there is no current, then check to see if there are any other outlets that are dead.  Sometimes there may be another outlet with a ground fault detector that has opened the circuit.

The last step is in the breaker box, as it's unlikely there are fuses in that line, though you may want to check with Fleetwood.

If the breaker box wires are all tight and the breaker is OK, then you would look at the transfer switch that transfers power from shore power to generator to inverter. Sometimes a relay has remained stuck...or there may be a malfunction in the transfer switch.  For specific details you would want to contact Fleetwood tech support.

Remember to turn off power when accessing the breaker box, and to exercise extreme caution when checking 110 VAC outlets, wires and circuits.  If you do not feel comfortable with 110 VAC circuits, get an electrician familiar with RV circuitry.

Please keep us posted on what you find, as this is an interesting problem.

Steve, thanks for the reply!!  I went to try some things and I hadn't had it plugged into shore power since this happened and so I did that and you got it, it came on!!! So then unhooked shore power and tried with generator again and it worked that way also!!!!!!!!! 

So do you think that a relay was stuck or something??

I've only had it plugged into shore power three times since buying it in Oct. and today as soon as I plugged it in I heard an immediate humming, is that normal?? I don't recall hearing it before!!

Thanks Randy

Gary you responded to my other thread about the inverter, do you think that my batteries are weak even though the check at the test console says they are full??

Randy

So do you think that a relay was stuck or something??

Depends on the type of power transfer sysytem in in your coach. Fleetwood uses a variety of systems, some are combination solid state and relays.  If there are relays in your system, and you suspect a sticking relay, you need a burnishing tool, an abrasive tool made for the purpose of removing carbon from relay contacts.  Another option is to buy and carry a spare relay in your parts box.  I have done both and carry a  spare relay, having had a stuck relay mess up a trip this past summer.

Steve, thanks for the tips!

Where would this relay be located??

My problem is that I haven't owned this MH but couple of months, it's my first one and I don't know where to even start looking for these things that can and will go wrong! I was able to get zero manuals with it when I bought it. I have gotten a few from Ford and Fleetwood but they're just basically operators manuals, don't really show anything!! I did buy a rv repair manual by Bob Livingston!! You can't believe how much this forum has helped me already!!!

Thanks Randy

Just a thought  Does this unit have a Washer/Dryer ?  If so  the switch by the Dryer could be flipped to Dryer instead of Mircowave.

RClark,

I might be missing something in your message, but when you turned the microwave on after using the battery disconnect, were you trying to make the microwave work while not being plugged in to shore power?  Are you thinking that the microwave will work off of your batteries?  If so they will not.  You need to be either plugged in to shore power or running the generator for the microwave to work.

Just a thought.

Marsha~

Not if you have a Washer/dryer  and the switch is on for the dryer.  Duh  it happened before and will again.

Thanks for the input!!

Shayne, the unit doesn't have a washer and dryer!!

Marsha, I understand what your  saying, and realize that it will only operate w/ generator or shore power!!

I'm not experienced with these things but the stuck relay sounds like the most logical answer..

Randy

Gary you responded to my other thread about the inverter, do you think that my batteries are weak even though the check at the test console says they are full??

I wouldn't necessarily say "weak", but the converter/charger will hum a bit when it first comes on because the batteries almost always need a bit of charge. It's common for them to take a fairly high number of amps for a few minutes before tapering off. And remember that the converter is also supplying whatever 12v demand you have when on shore power or generator, so it can & will hum while doing that as well. There are a lot of things that use at least a little 12v power at all times, e.g. fridge & water heater circuit boards, LP and CO detectors, plus of course whatever  lighting is on.

You will generally find the transfer switch at the inner end of the shore power cord. Typically the shore power cord and the generator output cord come together at the transfer switch - cause that's what the transfer switch does [switch power between genset and shore power].

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom