No single axle semi tractor. Now looking at a 1 ton Ram. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kam582

I've owned a few pickups over the years but never a diesel. I've dropped the semi idea and am now looking at a 1 ton Ram with a Cummins 6.7 turbo, with about 180,000 miles. I've read that at 200,000 miles you can start to have problems. Turbo problems, emission control problems, all very expensive problems. I've always thought diesel engines would run for a million miles, but now I'm wondering. Am I wrong to be cautious of a 200,000 mile truck?

The motor itself is a stoit 500,000 mile motor. There is however a lot that can effect that. Turbos, transmissions, EGR systems, etx,etc,etc. Im assuming your looking for a 10,000 dollar truck? A couple years ago I sold a really nice, 36,000 mile Dodge Cummins dually for less than 25K. This was a loaded 4x2 truck, thus the low price even though it was a loaded Laramie. Have you searched places like Ebay motors yet? To get a good deal you might have to travel a bit.

Donn is correct the motor will last 500k easy but its a Ram front end needs ball joints, tie rods, trans will need work, transfer case will need an overhaul and wiring will start to clitch. But thats about it. There is a reason Rams are cheap on the used market. They just need work

The 500k or million-mile proverb refers to an internal engine rebuild, i.e. replacing crankshaft, pistons, & rods. And only on an engine that has received good maintenance all its life. It does not refer at all to injectors, injection pumps, turbo, water pump & cooling system, starter, alternator, drive pulleys & belts, etc. Some of that stuff wears out about the same as it does on a gas engine, while others tend to make it to around 200k.

Try Autotrader. I found mine that way. The truck in my signature just got new ball joints and rear breaks. $1600. It is at 100,000 miles. I change the oil per schedule as well as fuel filters. Not much else since I bought it a 60k miles.

The block will be OK, everything else hanging on it will be questionable.
Have you looked at Enterprise Car Sales? 1 year old in majority of cases. They warranty, prices seem in line with market, or even a hair less.
Correct about RAM and suspension, trans, and body. The Cummins is the only decent thing.
What are you towing that you considered a semi tow vehicle?

The block will be OK, everything else hanging on it will be questionable.
Have you looked at Enterprise Car Sales? 1 year old in majority of cases. They warranty, prices seem in line with market, or even a hair less.
Correct about RAM and suspension, trans, and body. The Cummins is the only decent thing.
What are you towing that you considered a semi tow vehicle?
This from a non Ram owner. Yes Dodge 4x4s had some issues with easily worn out from suspension parts. That were largely fixed by around 2012 or 13. The 68RFE automatic found behing most Cummins motors is every bit as strong as the all mighty Allison in GM products. As for the rest? Depends on how its taken care of. In 10 years, albeit low miles my Dodge was a great truck. But then again I dont live in the rust belt. If I was in the market for a truck today as much as I hate the trend today with all the ugly chrome and all new trucks looking alike I would place my order for a new Ram dually in a heart beat

Back
Top Bottom