Nogales, MX for prescription eyeglasses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debra17

For the last 3 years I have gone to Los Algodones, MX for dental care and last year for prescription glasses. When I was in Yuma area in January, I went for dental but my eyeglasses were fine at the time, so didn't replace those. Now about a week ago I am having trouble with near vision. I am very nearsighted and have progressive lenses. The worst part is, I cannot read the exposure data, etc. when looking into my camera viewfinder which is very problematic as I do a lot of photography.

I am now in the Tucson area and was considering going to Nogales, MX. In doing some initial research online, it doesn't seem as "user friendly" as Los Algodones. For one thing, the offices seem to be a greater distance away, so walking may not be feasible. I wouldn't want to drive over - are taxis or some form of public transportation readily available once across the border into MX?

Has anyone been to Nogales for medical/dental/eyeglasses, or just for general tourism? I would like to hear your experience and recommendations.

Thanks,
Debra

For the last 3 years I have gone to Los Algodones, MX for dental care and last year for prescription glasses. When I was in Yuma area in January, I went for dental but my eyeglasses were fine at the time, so didn't replace those. Now about a week ago I am having trouble with near vision. I am very nearsighted and have progressive lenses. The worst part is, I cannot read the exposure data, etc. when looking into my camera viewfinder which is very problematic as I do a lot of photography.

I am now in the Tucson area and was considering going to Nogales, MX. In doing some initial research online, it doesn't seem as "user friendly" as Los Algodones. For one thing, the offices seem to be a greater distance away, so walking may not be feasible. I wouldn't want to drive over - are taxis or some form of public transportation readily available once across the border into MX?

Has anyone been to Nogales for medical/dental/eyeglasses, or just for general tourism? I would like to hear your experience and recommendations.

Thanks,
Debra
Someone who has purchased numerous pairs of eyeglasses, meds and had dental cleaning in Los Algadones. My wife has also bought eyeglasses there and had more extensive dental work.

We went to Nogales one time (I think for meds). Definitely not as convenient or friendly as Los Algodones. We used a guide at the border to take us to a couple of pharmacies, but it was a long walk.

Less than a block from the entry point you'll start seeing dentists, opticians, and drug stores. I would absolutely not get dental work done there. If I lived in Yuma I might go there for glasses.

I get my glasses from Costco. They cost more but I only have to drive about 3 miles.

I had a tooth pulled at Los Algadones last year and have never had a more comfortable time in a dental chair.. no pain during or after the procedure.. Who would have thunk??.>>>Dan

Debra, you got me thinking I will have to pick up a new pair of sunglasses next time I am in the Yuma area. Sorry, I haven’t visited either place though.

I've gotten dental services the last two winters in Los Algodones and would have this winter as well had we gone to AZ.
Last winter I thought I'd get glasses there as well. I checked with several businesses and the prices weren't enough better than I get at home. I'm a critical user and it's not uncommon for it to take two tries for them to get my progressives right. I didn't want to deal with this possibility in Mexico.

Never been to Nogales.

I believe I have found a solution to this problem, although I’m somewhat sheepish about revealing it. 😀

Sometime during the night I suddenly remembered that my camera has a diopter adjustment for the electronic view finder. This morning I adjusted it and now I can see perfectly through the EVF! I was out today with the camera and it worked fine. So now for the time being I will keep the glasses that I have as they work well for everything thing else.

Thanks for all the replies, I had about decided against Nogales. But now no need.
Debra

I almost suggested that but then I see to myself "Nah! I'm sure he knows that". What did Felix Unger say about the work assume?

I wear bifocals and I find it a PITA to flip my glasses up every time I use the viewfinder. So I went to a mirrorless camera with no viewfinder. Guess what? It's a PITA in bright sunlight. Can't win all the races can ya'?

Guess what? It's a PITA in bright sunlight.

And for me, holding a camera out away from my body is awkward and less stable than pressing the viewfinder (electronic or not) against my eye with hands and arms positioned to brace it the way I did in film cameras for years, whether SLR, rangefinder or whatever. And, of course, it also eliminates the ambient light problem for framing the picture.

The above is true for me whether it's video cameras or still, though there are occasions when a screen to look at when wanting (or needing) an odd angle for the shot needs the camera away from my head. And, as Debra found, most (non-snapshot) cameras with viewfinders have some form of focus adjustment for the viewfinder.

I do a lot of bird photography. I have a mirrorless camera and a long telephoto lens. I tried using the screen a few times but found it difficult to follow the subject, plus the problem of sunlight. And the combo is fairly heavy. So holding it against my eye also helps me to steady the camera as Larry N mentioned.

My personal opinion about going into Mexico after talking to some people that live in the Tucson area is, best not to be over in Mexico as you are taking your life into your own hands. Proceed at your own risk.

Back
Top Bottom