Noise cover for doghouse on class a.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
T

tck

Some time back I thought one of the magazines had an article or section on installing a specific material for noise abatement under the doghouse cover.  Does anyone have any info on this subject or any ideas.
Thanks
TCK

OEMs use a foam that has an aluminum skin on the underside (engine side). I'm scratching my head over where I've seen this stuff.

I added the foil-skinned foam insulation to a previous motorhome that had both a noice and a heat problem from the doghouse.  I believ Igot the material at a local home store, maybe Home Depot.  It was actually a silver mylar skin that reflects heat over something that resembled bubble wrap (large air cells) for insulation and I simply glued it in with contact cement.  It helped quite a bit.  I think there is something similar used for air conditioning ducts, only it is foil over fibergalss insulation.

West Marine has a good selection of material for that purpose. It's used for insulating engine compartments. They have a web site with a lot of info. http://www.westmarine.com/

Clay,

I've never seen that stuff at our local WMP stores, but that might be because different WMP stores stock slightly different things, depending on their local market. I tried searching and browsing their web site, but couldn't come up with that material. Do you have a link to the specific page or specific product?

TIA.

Tom,

The following link shows one material they have. It's not fireproof but is good up to 225'F.
The store near Boston used to have a couple of others, haven't been there in a while and don't know if they still do.

HERE

A brief discription:
"This flexible composite combines the sound-absorbing properties of open-cell polyurethane foam and the noise barrier capabilities of high-density PVC vinyl sheeting. The 3/32" flexible vinyl sheet is fused between two layers of foam?an exterior (?decoupler?) layer and an interior (?absorber?) layer. The exterior layer is then covered with a thin film (2.5 mil) of mylar, reinforced with elastomer-coated fiberglass, for surface heat protection and enhanced sound absorption. 
The overall effect is a dramatic noise reduction when compared with single-layer foam barriers
Material is fire-retardant (not fireproof) up to 225?F
Available in two overall thicknesses
Decoupler thickness is 1/4"
Absorber thickness is 1/4" on the 1/2" kit, 3/4" on the 1" kit
Peel and stick backing for easy installation
When using overhead, nail hangers should be used "

Clay

Thanks Clay. Don't know why I couldn't find the right page. That looks similar to the stuff I have on the underside of the decks in the engine room of the boat. That would certainly work for the underside of a doghouse.

Tom said:
Thanks Clay. Don't know why I couldn't find the right page. That looks similar to the stuff I have on the underside of the decks in the engine room of the boat. That would certainly work for the underside of a doghouse.

Tom,

You couldn't find it because it was pretty darned hard to locate. None of catagories that seemed to fit  showed it.
I knew it should be there - unless it had been discontinued - because I got a snail mail  sales brochure sometime back and it was featured, so I perservered.

Clay

That's an issue I've had with their web site for some time Clay - tough to find what I need.

Thanks for the help guys.  I will check both West Marine and the local Lowes/Home Depot.
TCK

Back
Top Bottom