Noisy AC Solution. WackO Solution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

I know most everyone with an AC knows it is noisy, from window AC's in stick house to rthw roof airs on RV'.  2 of our coaches have been noisy, the Willie had basement air and while it was noisy, it was in the back and down low. 

I was told of this product from WackO which is supposed to quiet the roof air.  I looked at the install and it blocks the quick cool port, forcing all air out the the ducting, then moves the intake to the other side. 

Has anyone any firsthand experience with this product.  I am looking at a lot of AC use this winter in FL, and would like some quiet.  I have another idea to try as well, but this one seems an easier fix, comments?

Since we are not full time, just weekends and home "man cave", my A/C is not always on.  I use the quick cool vent and would not want to give it up.  My 2 cents.

Everyone here in the park who has there RV permanent on blocks have switched over to the split systems which are so quiet you can't even here them.
We have two systems the main one is ducted to all the rooms and is controlled by a wall thermostat. It is very noisy. - So noisy that you can't enjoy the television
The second one is a roof mount  in the bedroom with built in controls and is so noisy you can't hear yourself think.

One of these years we'll probably switch over to the split system, but I am paranoid to spend the bucks since one year after we bought our new trailer Hurricane Irma came through with her five foot surge of the Atlantic and totaled it, and I would worry about it happening again with this brand new trailer.

Jack L

I am glad yours is as quiets a church mouse, that is really quite helpful.

Jack, not sure what you mean by a split system. 

The quick cool is pretty nice, but it is loud.  Hoping someone with actual experience with this product will answer.

My brand-new Brisk II is noisy; the fan has two speeds, essentially medium and high, while the old Duo-Therm had three speeds. So it's not a surprise that it's noisier since it doesn't have a low speed. It does, however, cool tremendously better than the old unit in our 95+ everyday Florida temps and the sun shining on the rig. When the flap is closed on the dump all the air is forced out the ducts, no accessory covers needed.

Bill,
I installed the WackO product on both of my ACs.  My wife said the noise reduction was about 40 percent in her opinion.  Great product, albeit expensive.  Easy install and a great filter is included.  My ACs were duct only anyway.

SeilerBird said:
My a/c is as quiet as a church mouse. I can't ever tell when is running.

So says the guy who was asking for a pair of hearing aids a couple of weeks ago.  ;)

davismills said:
I installed the WackO product on both of my ACs.  My wife said the noise reduction was about 40 percent in her opinion.  Great product, albeit expensive.  Easy install and a great filter is included.  My ACs were duct only anyway.

Interesting, I'd never heard of this. I have one ducted with quick cool feature (which I never use) and a second non-ducted which I use only occasionally and is very loud. (Still don't understand why the second one isn't ducted, as the ducting for the rear AC runs full length with supply registers in the bath and bedroom ??? )

Would be great to drop 10db off the main but $200? Eh

The a/c noise in the coaches we have owned was always air rushing through the barely-adequate ducts. The unit itself wasn't a problem. Some coaches have decent ductwork that delivers air without a lot of noise - Newmar for one usually does a pretty good job.  The fundamental problem stems from the use of the 14x14 roof vent, which forces both air return and outflow into a small area, complicating the ducting.  The days when an a/c was a high end option are long gone, but the RV industry clings to the obsolete roof vent standard as if it were a Biblical commandment.

Dutch, yes that is the product,

Gary, our coach is a 99, from biblical times.

Davismills, thank you, this is actually the information that I was looking for.  Someone that bought installed and found a difference. 

We have great info on this forum, just have to weed through the chaff.

Back
Top Bottom