Nomadland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldgator73

Watching Nomadland. It’s a movie about a woman that takes off in a converted van after the gypsum mine she worked at in Empire, NV closed. the movie features Quartzite, Wall Drug among other places. There are real people she meets along the way fulltiming in their vans and RV’s. It’s on Hulu.

Last edited:
It's streaming today (Friday) on Hulu. I originally heard the free streaming is only for one day but that may have changed.

Quartzsite's Desert Messenger newspaper has a behind the scenes story about filming Nomadland and it's vanlife stars, available as a free eflip version here:

Desert Messenger - February 17, 2021

I read the book and I've been looking forward to the movie. We don't have Hulu and don't go theaters. I'll check out Lou's link. Thanks for sharing.

We watched the other night streamed on Hulu with a 30 day free trial. We found it interesting, but no surprises. I believe the woman depicted in the movie represents a fairly small percentage of full time RVers. It was nice to see the footage of Donnie performing at the Yacht Club, and clips of Bob Wells and other youtube nomads.

We just watched Nomad Land as well today, prompted us to enroll on HuLu. We were glad to see it.

We watched the other night streamed on Hulu with a 30 day free trial. We found it interesting, but no surprises. I believe the woman depicted in the movie represents a fairly small percentage of full time RVers. It was nice to see the footage of Donnie performing at the Yacht Club, and clips of Bob Wells and other youtube nomads.
Good to know that I can watch it on Hulu. Is it safe to say that we can cancel Hulu after we see the movie?

Cancelling depends on whether you like the rest of the content.

I have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime - Netflix was my "go-to" until late last year. I am finding Hulu #1 followed by Amazon and then NF.

I think Nomadland was a good piece of work artistically and the underlying story of loss was meaningful while depicting a slice of the liveaboard spectrum. I personally found it depressing as heck. I almost quit on it about 2/3 through. Not bad just not my kind of movie.

OTOH I thought, "Three Billboards outside Ebing" with McDormand was really worth a watch and I enjoyed it.

It was depressing on one level. But on the other level it' was also about the lasting friendships and easy camaraderie formed on the road. My best buddy, Groovin'Grandpa, walked up to me at an RV park because we had the exact same Montana as they did. That was a bunch of years ago. I forget how we watched the movie but we both enjoyed it.

I read the book and thought it was excellent. It made me aware of the struggles and challenges that some van dwellers and very low income RVers are faced with. I just saw the movie on Hulu. Although the movie received many awards, I think the book was more in-depth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom