Norcold 862 refrigerator stopped cooling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicademas

Hello again,

I have been using my refrigerator on 120volts, or shore power, now for quite a while with no issues until a few days ago. Ive done all I can to try and figure out what is wrong with it but now I need some input.

I am getting power to the fridge. There is no ammonia leak. I made sure the coils are getting airflow (funny because I found a piece of mail stuck in-between them from the previous owner). The "chimney"? is warm where the 120 heater wires gos in as well as the lower pipe. And I can hear it gurgling, like its working or trying to work.
I turned the thermostat from 2 (where it was working fine before) to 5 (max) and left it alone overnight. The inside of the frezzer and fridge were still not cold.

So im at a loss of what to do now. I even tapped on the pipes to "loosen things up". Is it a goner? Any idea would help.

Hahhaa I found the issue. This fuse was buried way under the fridge where I could bearly reach it. Looks like the original fuse.

20210226_131013.jpg

That fuse was hit with a pretty good shot of electricity. How that fuse blew should be something that you keep in mind. Did the fuse fix the problem?

No because there is a recall on this fridge for a propane issue and the last time I tried using it on LP it blew a fireball into my trailer.
I don't find any information on a recall for a Norcold 862, propane or otherwise. I checked both Norcold site and NHTSA. Do you have more info on it? I ask, because a propane only recall for any 800-series Norcold has never come up here before and others may need warning about it.

I don't find any information on a recall for a Norcold 862, propane or otherwise. I checked both Norcold site and NHTSA. Do you have more info on it? I ask, because a propane only recall for any 800-series Norcold has never come up here before and others may need warning about it.

The "flammable gas" in that notice is the ammonia in the cooling unit, not the LP gas used by the burner. A crack in the cooling unit will release "flammable gas" whether in AC or LP mode..

I didn't think the model 862 fridge was part of that particular recall (and its not listed on the Norcold site as being among the recalls), but I've been wrong before...

Back
Top Bottom