Norcold class action?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rene, $916 spread over four years...$228 per check for my current Norcold.  Only @$10 for the one I no longer own.

gclement said:
Rene, $916 spread over four years...$228 per check for my current Norcold.  Only @$10 for the one I no longer own.

That's about the amount that I received today. Four installments totaling $927.75. Todays check was for $228.90. I never expected that amount; figured that I "might" receive a check for $20-$25. NICE!

R

I also received a check for $228.90; to be the first of 4 annual payments.
Seems that they are banking on the fact that some of us will be dead by then.

Maybe just using the principal to earn some interest and thus make more money available. $36M could earn a tidy sum in 3 additional years.  However, it seems more likely that Norcold spreading out the payments to reduce the impact on their annual financial report.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Maybe just using the principal to earn some interest and thus make more money available. $36M could earn a tidy sum in 3 additional years.  However, it seems more likely that Norcold spreading out the payments to reduce the impact on their annual financial report.

Gary,

Do you think that Norcold has insurance that covered the suit? If the payouts are coming out of Norcold's corporate funds, you are probably right that they want to spread it out; especially true with todays low interest rates--they might not earn much on the money they postpone paying out.

R

WOW!  Some of you guys are livin right.  I got my first of 4 checks and mine was $45.  Wonder why the big difference.

The question of the day is what have they done to prevent this from happening on current product? Did they not refuse to make any changes as they essentually admits guilt to the lawsuit?

Norcold 12xx series fridges have had a built-in high-temp shutoff since around 2010, but it only shuts down at extreme temperatures, literally just below the level where the boiler would explode. Norcold won't say, but an independent test suggest the high-limit switch trips somewhere around an astounding 800 degrees F. (the normal operating temperature at the boiler is about 350 f.).  Fridge without the built-in high limit sensor have received (via a factory recall) a free auxiliary high-limit sensor that does the same thing.  The ARP aftermarket boiler manager does a much better job of managing the boiler to safe temperature range, but Norcold refuses to adopt it or even admit to its use. last I heard, they were still claiming an ARP violated their warranty and warn RV techs against installing it, or working on fridge that have it. head firmly in sand!

The high-limit sensor may prevent explosions, but it doesn't stop fires. They result from leaking hydrogen & ammonia, which can sometimes ignite if it reaches an extreme hot surface or open flame. Hydrogen, of course, is extremely flammable. Ammonia less so except at high vapor pressures. Leaks are going to happen eventually, but even moderate boiler overheating contributes to internal corrosion that leads to early failures. Norcold steadfastly ignores that except to say the RV needs to be level within their specs.

Use of helium instead of hydrogen with the ammonia helps reduce the fire risk, by helium doesn't enhance the cooling as well as hydrogen does, and too many people already complain of inadequate cooling in RV fridges.  The so-called Amish cooling unit replacement for Norcold 12xx fridges has a model that uses helium instead of hydrogen. Atwood also sells a helium/ammonia RV fridge, but it never caught on.

I received my first $91.56 check Wednesday, with three more checks promised in ensuing years.  My amount is less because my claim was filed after I had already replaced the Norcold, so no "future" component in the complicated award formula. Still way more than I ever expected to see!

My Helium and the one I helped install on a friends 1200 gets colder, and faster than either of these units ever did. I can make and HOLD 32 degrees in the fridge, and zero in the freezer. This in 106 temps for three days on setting 5..

Back to the original question.. what has NORCOLD done to prevent this issue on current models? That failsafe box is a bandaid only, and the ARP is aftermarket, not OEM

Can you provide the details of what may constitute a claim?
I see this is your first post. Let me welcome you to the Forum. Also, instead of posting a question in a very old thread, it is usually better to start a new thread with a question. Again, so glad you joined us.

As Gary said, that claim was decided, distributed to those in the class-action, and closed. So, as they say.. you’re out of luck. I personally helped replace a cooling unit of a friend several years ago when this suit was active, and he screwed around until sir was closed and lost out when 3 of us were receiving distribution. Sorry..☹️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom