Norcold n611 ammonia leak.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dschnick

We bought our camper in 2017. That year our fridge developed a ammonia leak and the replaced it under warranty that year. We took out camper out last week for a week and lost all the ammonia out of this one. Now I have to replace this one. I was just curious is anyone has heard about some sort of issue with this model? This is our 4th camper and it is our first with a no old fridge all of our older ones were older campers and we never had any issues. The first 2 pics are the first one and the last pic is the one that just happened 5B7437DD-2C86-48D4-839D-656B6D3A35C6.png473B1A7E-DE6B-4615-AFFD-27074BB80078.pngEBA7AFB7-46DD-420F-98F8-B900CCCA213E.jpeg

I've owned two Norcold N611's and really liked them, never had a moments trouble out of them. A new fridge is expensive. The cooling unit can be replaced will probably be a better unit than the original.

Norcold 610/611 Gas/elect Cooling Unit (New) - JC Refrigeration

Fitting a new fridge will mean it doesn't fit and cabinet work needs to be done. If you are handy with tools, its not that hard to do.

Do not handle the yellow stuff with your bare hands, wear nitrile or latex gloves. That contains chromates that can absorb thru your skin.

Charles

this is the only recall I know of

My present RV has a N611 and has been good for almost 10 years of part-time use. Your pictures are excellent examples of refrigerant leaks and yours seems to be leaking in several different places.

I'm with Martian, at least to the extent I would want to be sure it's not something I'm doing wrong before I'd spring for a third unit. One failure can be attributed to most anything, 2 implies a defect either in the unit or the usage.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I haven't heard of anything about the N611 that suggests it is more vulnerable to cooling unit leaks than any other model or brand. Actual spillage of the liquid and its sodium-chromate (the yellow stuff) occurs when the coolant tubing is physically damaged, most always from corrosion caused by overheating. That could occur from operating off-level (most common) but could also be lack of adequate airflow behind the fridge. Usually the latter also means poor cooling perfromance as well.

Two suggestions depending on your camping/driving patterns
one Amish Built cooling unit.. I replaced my original Dometic with one of those and from what I could see it was a superior unit. and once we had it running I took my RV-Girl to dinner (Well She drove I bought) (She's a professional on-site RV repair person and since I was the last client of the day.. We are friends.. Distant friends nothing more. Nice dinner companion only cost me 2,100 dollars (plus the meal check) Ok there were two jobs and that was the "Payment" for the cooling unit and Down payment on the 2nd job. I think that ran 300 bucks more).
Now. if you always park with power and never drive more than six hours a day you can go Compressor Fridge (Residential)
Or you might also go "High Effiecency" RV-Compressor (Both Dometic and Norcold have made 'em ( What I call Danfoss class. Less than 50 watts running (3 - 4 amps on 12 volt) Those things are impressive.. I used a chest freezer of that class.. lasted about 16 years and it's replacement is -4 Degrees as I type.

I too suspect operation out of level as the cause. Out of level while moving is not a concern, but when not moving it quickly restricts refrigerant movement, which results in blockage.

Back
Top Bottom