Norcold Refrigerator Works with A/C not with Gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrnXnham

I have a Norcold N621 Fridge in our 2007 trailer. Last Year it started fine. This year it starts fine with A/C. When I try switch to running on propane it shows the "F" symbol after only about 8 seconds. I assume "F" symbol is for failure.

I think I remember a ticking sound last year as it was trying to ignite and it tried for longer than 8 seconds. This year I hear nothing. I just get the "F" symbol. I don't hear any sounds coming from the fridge at all.

The propane is on and full. I started the heater and hot water heater no problem.

Sorry I am a novice at this. Any ideas appreciated.

The gas igniter is a probe that sparks to the gas jet to ignite the flame.  If you're not hearing the clicking of the spark, the most cause is a piece of debris or a spider web that has bridged this gap or is partially blocking the burner.  Insects are attracted to propane's odor, so it's not unusual to find a nest if the burner hasn't been used for a while.

Open the outside cover behind the refrigerator and you'll see the burner enclosure and it's little access door.  The burner isn't much bigger than an oven pilot flame, it doesn't take much heat to boil the refrigerant and make the cooling happen.  Use some compressed air, or just blow into the hole, to dislodge any debris.

The "F" code means the gas burner failed to ignite. One common reason for that is that the burner did indeed light but the sensor failed to detect a flame and send the ok signal back to the controller board. Corrosion on the wire is the usual cause, but it could also be a failed igniter/sensor module. Try to observe what happens from the outside, with the outer access door removed. Often you can see/hear whether the burner lights and then goes out, or if it fails to light altogether.

You can download a service manual for the Norcold N-series fridges here:
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf

I just had the same problem trying to get my fridge to run on propane. I've had the tank shut off for over a month and it would not lite the fridge. You would hear my ingnitor clicking 7 or 8 times and then it would stop. I had to reset the fridge 6 times before it purged all the air out of the lines and lit.

Sense you are not hearing any " Ticking", I am wondering if 12vdc is passing back through from thermo fuse. See if there is a updated round silver temp switch on burner flu? An easy way to find out is to take a 18awg wire trimmed at both ends and touch both spade connectors together, you are essentially by passing that safety fuse. If it works, there is your problem, however you can not, and should not leave it wired that way. Also beyond the fuse, red wire flowing from it, will be a black covered, and bent wire, puts you in the mind of a fusible link, it could be bad there as well, you can by pass it also to pin point the issue., Before I did that however, I would unplug igniter line from transformer/ igniter board. Turn on refer, if it clicks/ticks, igniter board fine. With igniter wire pulled from igniter transformer, it will click much faster usually, that is fine, but it is a part of the puzzle you need to know. Also, make sure to be clear if transformer/igniter board while performing this test. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom