Norcold works on AC not on Propane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonovich

Hi all, I have a confusing issue. My fridge works on AC power but not on propane. I can hear the gas heating and see the flame but it does not cool the fridge. At first I thought it might be a leak in my ammonia canister but since it cools on AC a leak does not seem the problem. Any suggestions is much appriciated!

8Muddypaws

It takes many hours for any cooling to become apparent.

Open the inspection port and check the flame. Your manual will have a picture of a healthy flame. (Or an online manual)If it looks weak there may be some debris on the burner. Compressed air can usually dislodge it.

Gas valve problems will also make the flame weak. As will gas regulator problems. How are your other gas appliances working?

Kirk

The only difference between operating the RV refrigerator on propane versus 120V is the heat source for the boiler/refrigerant. Propane does tend to be more sensitive to restrictions in the flue but not a great deal. A loss of refrigerant will prevent any cooling if it is very bad but it is possible that the slightly lower heat of the electric element might make it last just a bit longer... It would help us to know what the brand and model of the refrigerator you have is so that we can look at the service manual for it.

Has your refrigerator worked on both modes in the past? Or did you only recently buy it?

Ray-IN

When was the last time you removed and cleaned the burner port? Also, the burner chimney must be cleaned too, that usually requires removing the fridge enough to access the top of the chimney.
The the steel spiral is removed for cleaning it and the walls of the chimney.
You may download the service manual for your RV refrigerator from Service Manuals - My RV Works

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flkeyseyes
Top Bottom