North Rim Grand Canyon Rv Parks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghostman

Looking to see if there are any RV parks around North Rim for  41' Motor home. Wanting to stop while coming from Kanab To Monument Valley. Searches have Not gave me many options. We do need Electricity at least. Thanks for any recommendations.

Thanks for the Info. That is actually not to bad. I was thinking of just driving from Kanab and leave the Motorhome there instead of moving it. When we went to South rim a few years ago it was over an hour drive from Williams KOA.

SeilerBird said:
I have never been to the north rim but I have driven past that campground and it is in a beautiful location but very far from the rim.

We drove by last time we was out also. Figured i would stop this time.

Ghostman said:
We drove by last time we was out also. Figured i would stop this time.
I kept planning to go there but something always came up. Usually I was so excited about getting to Zion I didn't want to stop. I have a favorite video of a hike to Angel's Landing that I love to watch at least once a month. This hike is in second place on my all time hiking trail list. Absolutely incredible views.

https://youtu.be/igI1OFitYFk

Once you do the north rim, you won't go back to the south. The ntnl park campground there doesn't have hookups, at least not last time we were there. It's a good ride from Kanab to the park so stay closer if you can.

BruceinFL said:
Once you do the north rim, you won't go back to the south. The ntnl park campground there doesn't have hookups, at least not last time we were there. It's a good ride from Kanab to the park so stay closer if you can.
People kept telling me that however the Condors were hanging around the south rim and very few were at the north rim, so I always went south. But the Condors no longer hang out on the south rim since they patched the water leak. Now they hang out at Zion and Mojave Bridge.

SeilerBird said:
I kept planning to go there but something always came up. Usually I was so excited about getting to Zion I didn't want to stop. I have a favorite video of a hike to Angel's Landing that I love to watch at least once a month. This hike is in second place on my all time hiking trail list. Absolutely incredible views.

Thanks for the link -
Now that's a hike!  Not for me at 69 though.

We stayed in a little RV Park in Fredonia, the Wheel Inn. Doesn't look much but was safe and we had full hook ups. We were exploring Grand staircase as well as canyon so central for us. Would work if you were stuck.

SeilerBird said:

Angel's landing is one great hike.  The last 1/2 mile and 500' elevation climb to the actual landing is really awesome, but not for anyone with even the remotest reluctance to be near 1000' drop offs. 
I did this hike in early February 2018 at age 73. 

The video in the link above does not exaggerate the experience and drop offs.  However going slow and careful the hike/climb is not dangerous IMO.

BTW the absolute best time to go to Zion is in Jan & Feb.  No crowds, no shuttle required or available.  The weather is usually good.  There can be occasional 2-5 days of cold nasty weather and possibility of snow, but that is the exception, not the rule. 

Unlike the video, going early in the morning (started the trail at 7am), I only saw about 5 hikers in the last 1/2 mile to the landing and about a total of 10-12 on the way back. 

AStravelers said:
BTW the absolute best time to go to Zion is in Jan & Feb.  No crowds, no shuttle required or available.  The weather is usually good. 
I have to respectably disagree.  Angel's Landing is my second favorite hike in the world. My most favorite is the Narrows at Zion. It is not open then, only in the summer. I always hiked Angel's Landing very early in the morning. I like to get done with the hike you 11 am before it gets hot and crowded. 

Do you absolutely have to have electric?  I would strongly recommend the national park campground at the North Rim because of its location.  It is so close to everything and being so close to the canyon at all hours of the day is wonderful.  Even if you spend only a couple of nights there, it is a terrific experience. 

JudyJB said:
Do you absolutely have to have electric?  I would strongly recommend the national park campground at the North Rim because of its location.  It is so close to everything and being so close to the canyon at all hours of the day is wonderful.  Even if you spend only a couple of nights there, it is a terrific experience.

Yup. We were there the last week of the season last October in our 31' Sunstar. One thing to note: 2 hours of generator in the morning (7-9) and 2 in the evening (6-8). Even with a broken furnace and temps in the 30s, we had a grand time. Hey, we're CAMPIN'!

And, a shout-out to Del at the gift shop. While we were there, DW bought a pair of copper feather earrings, which became her faves. A few weeks ago, on the day we buried my mother's ashes, she lost one. After not finding it, I called the gift shop and worked with Del (even sending a picture) to buy 2 more pairs, which they shipped UPS. Now she has spares. :)

Attachments

• 190709northrim.jpg
    190709northrim.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 9
Demotte campground is a FS campground about 5 miles from the park entrance at the North Rim.  There are several reservable pull-through sites that will take a 41'er, and probably 4 or 5 first come first serve sites that are big enough.  Also, there's the whole North Kaibab plateau that you can disperse camp in for free. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom