Northern Calif trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve & Leslie's Patriot

We would like to plan a trip from L.A. up to northern Calif to redwood area, stop for some fishing a couple of days, maybe as far as Klamath, Or.? Any suggestions as far as best roads (101, the 5), campgrounds, scenic drives?? Is there a good trip planner site - KOA, Good Sam or?? Or do we wing it?? ?
Dave

Hi Dave,

We took the 101 north of San Francisco a couple of years ago. We really enjoyed the trip. I'd certainly take that over I-5! Can't speak for the 101 south of San Fran.

If I were making that trip and had 3-4 weeks, I'd go over to the coast at Morro Bay and then up Rt 1 to San Fancisco. Cross the Golden Gate and take 101 to Cloverdale, Hwy 128 and then go up 128 to the coast. Stay on Rt 1 to Leggett, then north on 101 to the Redwoods.

A word of caution about this route. It's got a few narrow roads and there's a lot of curves, but the drive and scenery make it worth while. We have a 40' Marquis and did this route north forrm San Francisco last year with no trouble. I happen to enjoy this kind of drive, so the roads didn't bother me, however, some folks who have done the section north from Ft Bragg say "Never again, we must have been crazy to try it." I used to live in Half Moon Bay and have driven the coast Rt 1 to Morrow Bay many times and always enjoy it.

Chet18013

Thanks for the ideas.? We are thinking of Leggett as a destination to stop for fishing, so maybe the 101 after San Francisco although hwy 1 before that is really nice.? Planning seems to be part of the fun, gets us through the work weeks.

Back
Top Bottom