Not a good time to go to Death Valley (8-6-22)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ever see a large flash flood? It can even dislodge boulders and carve out huge chunks of land. I've seen the aftermath in a couple of places in Colorado, including the Big Thompson Canyon between Estes Park and Loveland. Over thousands+ of years that can carve out a LOT.
Yup, been there, never read about the effects before. Lived in LV for 4 years and did some exploring of the desert areas and dry washes - a few weren't too dry after a quick monsoon rain. Definitely some danger there.
Mother Nature is an awesome power - able to "undo" whatever man has been able to accomplish.

Ever see a large flash flood? It can even dislodge boulders and carve out huge chunks of land. I've seen the aftermath in a couple of places in Colorado, including the Big Thompson Canyon between Estes Park and Loveland. Over thousands+ of years that can carve out a LOT.
Take the rafting trip through Glenwood Canyon, some day. You can almost see the process in action.

Did you not read my explanation in post #34? If so then what did I miss?
I did. I think that you may have oversimplified it a bit, but other than that, you're spot on.
The river can be as wide as the floor of the canyon when there is plenty of silt and rubble at the bottom and then it etches new channels all the time, until something happens to change the channel paths.
There are many places along the Colorado where you can see the process in action. I have been driving along the Colorado for over 40 years, and have had the opportunity to watch it.

Hopefully DV is open in October when we are meeting friends. Thanks for the updates. I'll need to keep an eye on the park website!

Then you're saying the GC was formed and also was not formed by the Colorado River. I cannot make a lot of sense out of two statements that are oxymoronic. Some clarification is needed.

-Don- Reno, NV
The Colorado River was formed by snow melt from the Rockies flowing to the Pacific Ocean. It was just a normal river. Monsoon rains in the summer and fall caused the sides of the river to collapse and form the Grand Canyon. Simply put the Colorado River started the job and the monsoons finished the job. I have never said that the GC was formed by the Colorado. Every time I said the Colorado started the job.

My take, from what I have read, so far -- The river formed, carrying sand, soil, stones which carved the river bed, deeper as time went by. The monsoons eroded and washed the soil, stone, etc. from the surrounding area(s) to the river which carried it away while erroding the river bed even more. LOTs of time involved and maybe even more than rain worked into the equation. Definitely a marvel of nature! As are all the national parks, and more. We never get tired of touring and viewing the western US.

And they're not working on the roads still closed in the park until the temperature cools down.

We drove thru Death Valley on the 26th & 28th of August. All paved roads were great. There was no access towards Scotties Castle (still closed) or either rd to Beatty, NV.
George

We are due to camp there with friends in October but not sure if the campgrounds will be opened. Our friends think they will as apparently floods have caused issues before buy I'm not convinced.

We are due to camp there with friends in October but not sure if the campgrounds will be opened. Our friends think they will as apparently floods have caused issues before buy I'm not convinced.
Remnants of Hurricane Kay off of Los Angeles caused more damage and flooding in Death Valley on Saturday. More rain is predicted through Wednesday. Right now the only access is from the east via CA 190 from Death Valley Junction to Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells.

Remnants of Hurricane Kay cause road closures - Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

All roads and visitor facilities in the Mojave National Preserve continue to be closed.

Alerts & Conditions - Mojave National Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)

The NPS site had fantastic photos of full waterfalls down the hills. It was a LOT of rain. Poor park hasn’t yet recovered from the Scotty’s castle flood, and this is the third one this year.

Remnants of Hurricane Kay off of Los Angeles caused more damage and flooding in Death Valley on Saturday. More rain is predicted through Wednesday. Right now the only access is from the east via CA 190 from Death Valley Junction to Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells.

Remnants of Hurricane Kay cause road closures - Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

All roads and visitor facilities in the Mojave National Preserve continue to be closed.

Alerts & Conditions - Mojave National Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)
Cheers Lou!

Back
Top Bottom