NOT happy with Thetford service...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

I am not happy with Thetford service department.  They are really, well poopy

Have been trying to get a $5 service part for our Porta potty and although it is carried in the EU and Australia it is NOT carried in the US!

I was able to replace the toilet lipseal a few years back.  They do sell that part here.  Now the ventseal that is right next to the lipseal has also taken a set and is no longer sealing.  They both seal against the knife sliding blade and when one fails it is fair to assume that the other will also be failing in the near future.  Evidently Therford thinks they both can fail only in the EU and Australia.  See all attached photos and correspondence.

I have been trying to add o-rings behind the ventseal...a real @#$#@ job ....to effectively make it compress more but as yet have not been successful.  One problem is the parting line on the hole is very sharp plastic and is damaging the old seal more and more everytime I take it in and out.

Very poor customer support from Thetford.

On top of it all Joanne will not let me out of the basement unless my hands are scrubbed red and raw.

Any wise ideas in the RV world?? 

Attachments

• R 1 IMG_9948.JPG
    R 1 IMG_9948.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 55
  • R 2 IMG_9946.jpg
    R 2 IMG_9946.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 41
  • R 3 IMG_9949.jpg
    R 3 IMG_9949.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 39
  • R 4 MG_9950.jpg
    R 4 MG_9950.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 28
How quickly do you need it?  I could get it delivered to a friend in the UK and post out here?

Alternatively call Thetford and ask if there is an equivalent you can buy here.  I don't think their Customer Service rep is clued up!

Does this look the same?

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Cassette-Vent-Seal-Black/dp/B072HQMC3D/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535144796&sr=8-3&keywords=thetford+vent+seal

Ventseal to fit Thetford C2, C3 and C4 holding tank cassettes.

jackiemac said:
Does this look the same?

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Cassette-Vent-Seal-Black/dp/B072HQMC3D/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535144796&sr=8-3&keywords=thetford+vent+seal

Ventseal to fit Thetford C2, C3 and C4 holding tank cassettes.
Thanks for the replies.  No that is a different vent seal in the C2....C4.

Thanks for the offer to contact a friend.

I have ordered the part from Caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk  Some sites state up front where they will not ship to.  The others I had to go through the order process and when it got to check out it would show "EU, Ireland" or only take England addresses.  So it took a bit of searching to find the "Caravan Accessory Shop" that did ship to the US.  So the seal was about $5 plus $5 in shipping.  No idea when it will get here.  Their site indicates it may have been mailed out today.

darsben said:
Len and Jo

Now you know how to corner the market on an item.
One question did you buy the unit in the United States or Canada?

Our unit is a Sears Packa-Potti but it was made by Therford.  Purchased in Madison Hts, Michigan Sears store.,  It has performed well and I would guess that we have owned it for 18 years or more.  Have had to replace both the pump bellows and lip seal once.  Again though it is just a Therford design and parts.

12 days since I ordered the service part from England  and it came today.  Correct part :) and works fine.  Here are a few pics.  The last one shows the compression set in the old part that started causing it to leak.  I really though do not understand why Thetford considers it a service part in England but not the States.  Oh well.

Attachments

• IMG_9980.JPG
    IMG_9980.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9981.JPG
    IMG_9981.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9982.JPG
    IMG_9982.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_E9985.JPG
    IMG_E9985.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 14
Berkley MI.... I just drove from Davison to Burton to Waterford to Southfield and back to Burton where I'm sitting now...    I think I went through Berkley in there somewhere :)

It may be that they figure the IQ of folks in England is higher than the USA for some reason and thus do not trust US RVers (who's IQ is likely higher than the national average in case you want my opinion of those who RV) to do the job.

John From Detroit said:
Berkley MI.... I just drove from Davison to Burton to Waterford to Southfield and back to Burton where I'm sitting now...    I think I went through Berkley in there somewhere :)

It may be that they figure the IQ of folks in England is higher than the USA for some reason and thus do not trust US RVers (who's IQ is likely higher than the national average in case you want my opinion of those who RV) to do the job.

If you had honked we could of up a flare!!
We are heading up to Lakeport S.P. (just north of Port Huron) for a few days.  The WEATHER is breaking....at least for awhile.  Expect low 70's in the day time and his 50's at night.  ahhhhh.  I think the high temps comes back then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom