Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & Labrador

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi Guys

We are now in Bass Harbor, Maine - the scenery from Niagara Falls to here has been fantastic (and the weather too).

Our plan is to visit Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador over the next month or so.

Ive attached a couple of maps of the route.

Can anyone make any suggestions on places to visit and/or places we've missed.

Thanks
Paul

PS We are planning to get the 13hr ferry from Argentia (map ref 13) to St Johns, although it doesnt show on the maps.

Attachments

• map01.jpg
    map01.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 71
  • map02.jpg
    map02.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 47
Have no suggestions, never been to that area, but I'm keeping your maps for a future trip up there.

Hi Paul, good to hear from you.

Jerry and Ardra Fitzgerald were recently in Newfoundland and hopefully they'll see your post and make some suggestions. When we visited the maritimes, we hadn't planned on that leg of the trip and, as a result, had to miss Newfoundland completely. We also spent only a day on Prince Edward Island and could easily have spent a week or two there.

Haven't read too many reports or seen any photos from you lately. Hope you'll have time to change that going forward.

Was up that way 3 years ago. So not sure suggestions from us would be to good... I will just tell you that it is a great trip.. You should go to PEI and take the Confederation Bridge. We had our 30 foot Windsport and it was spectacular..  We talked to a guy in Saint Johns, NB. He was tiring to sell us his camp ground...  ;D If we could have...heheheheh  Eastern Canada is a great place to travel....

Hi Paul and Ann Marie,

We've really really missed hearing from you.  I hope you give reports of your present travels as it helps so much for those of us on  our way someday.(by the way,  I reviewed your posts on Places we,ve been in Alaska and you guys really hit good weather.  Glad you are back on line.  Any posts you get on Nova Scotia, Newfoundland will help in our 08 travels.

Betty and Terry
in Valdez
Bear watching

Paul:

From Bass Harbor the lobster pound over in Southwest Harbor is close! :'(

On down the coast is Camden, Boothbay Harbor, Freeport (LL Bean),  the Portland waterfront and Market, Portland Head Lighthouse in South Portland, and the summer theaters in the Kenebunkport area.

Out west of you is the Moosehead Lake region that is beautiful.

Thanks Guys

We are booked on a 7hr fishing trip (www.masakoqueen.com) from Southwest Harbor on Saturday - cost $49 each.

They have 100 or so lobster pots down and randomly allocate each passenger one when they lift it - if there is anything in it, its yours for free !!

We're at Bass Harbor (NOT BAR Harbor) Campground which is on the quieter side of the island - and the wifi is one of the best we've had during our travels.

We could easily spend a week or two here (but dont have the time) - especially as there is a FREE bus service operating 7 routes which cover the island - provided by LL Bean funding (you can even watch the exact sat-nav tracked location of the buses online at www.exploreacadia.com).

As the bus stop is at the entrance to the CG, you can watch the internet to see when to go and wait for the bus - even better if its raining.

Betty - we're still reading your log - keep up the good work.

We've done a rough estimate of our weather and think that since Feb 1st, we've had a total of 3 days heavy rain and about 7 days of light rain during our 6+ months, with only a week or two of "cloudy days" - the huge majority have been very sunny and very warm.

I really wish you had got better weather during your trip - like Ned says, Valdez looks wonderful in the sunshine.

BTW, if you are still there, you may like to book 1 night in Eagles Nest (or is it Rest) as they let you wash your rig at your site for no extra charge - we are finding that it is very difficult to find anywhere who lets you wash the RV - if they do, they charge $1 for 3 minutes........when we washed at Valdez it took me over 3hrs.....so that would be over $60 !!

Ned - remember the stain on the carpet? Fleetwood did agree to change it under warranty.

Tom - we couldn't decide if spending the money on the ferry (http://www.marine-atlantic.ca) would be worth it to go to Newfoundland. But, we felt that as we were here we would make the time and found the ferry wasn't that expensive.

North Sydney NS to Port aux Basques NL which takes around 7hrs = 38' RV $164....Car $77....Us $54......Total approx $300cdn

Argentia NL to North Sydney NS which takes around 13hrs = 38' RV $335....Car $157....Us $76......Total approx $570cdn

As the drive back from Argentia to Port aux Basques is around 500 miles, it would have cost us roughly $300 in fuel and taken an extra 3 days, so the longer ferry crossing is actually cheaper than the 7hr one.

Paul

Paul,

Using the search function of the Forum, search for the term "Maritimes".  There are a number of posts including a log by the Lynches on their trip in the Maritme Provinces as well as several posts I have made with suggestions based on my travels there.

After looking at these, let me know by reply to this thread what additional info you might like.  The only area I have not had first hand experience travelling is Newfoundland, but if you have a question, let me know and I think I can get an answer for you.

In Nova Scotia:  Cabot Trail, Halifax, Peggy's Cove {even though it's touristy and contrived, it should be visited} and mostly Lunenburgh.

In New Brunswick:  Frederickton and mostly St. Andrews by the Sea.

In Prince Edward Island:  Everywhere!

If you can mmanage it in your trip visit the Provinve of Quebec and from the Maritimes see the Gaspe peninsula, the south shore of the St. Lawrence visiting the 300 year old towns and Quebec City.  Montreal is just another big city but Ottawa our Country's Capital should be seen.

Steve/Paul,

Most/all the trip reports are in the library - click the Library button above and select Trip reports.

UK-RV said:
We've done a rough estimate of our weather and think that since Feb 1st, we've had a total of 3 days heavy rain and about 7 days of light rain during our 6+ months, with only a week or two of "cloudy days" - the huge majority have been very sunny and very warm.

Paul,
Rub it in will  you?  :) Indeed we can plan all sorts of things, but we cannot plan the weather.  While our trip has had clouds and rain it has not deterred any of the fun.  Our photos may not be as bright as we would have liked but the memories we have will be forever. It is fun to share with those who have come before and will come afterward.  Keep up your posts of travels as I so enjoy your narration. Thanks for your  kind words on our log.  Each night when I compose, I feel the readers are with me.
Betty

On the big bay S of Halifax: King Neptune CG on a quaint little fishing inlet with lobster pound next door. 2-3 miles west of Peggy's cove (super quaint photogenic village).

S of there, is Lunenberg with city CG on ridge in center of town with views of fore and back bays. Great fisheries museum.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies - I did search the forum, but only typed Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & Labrador - I didn't even think to type Maritimes? ::) ::)

Any further info would be great too.

Just to give a bit of info on Bass Harbour area.....

We made use of the FREE 1hr bus (leaves hourly from Bass Harbor CG) to Bar Harbor on Friday - they have a great saying "if you dont like the service, we'll give you double your money back"? ;D

Bar Harbor was great - if you like touristy gift shops etc. There is a newspaper produced which has the menus for most of the restaurants in that area - great for planning a meal out without having to visit each place first.

There was a cruise ship in port that day - the Maasdam.

Now, we've been on a few cruises and we know the average age (these days) to be 40, but everyone we saw from this ship was somewhat older (around 100 years older).

It was only tonight when Ann-Marie read one of her puzzle magazines from the UK, which refers to the ship as a NUDIST SHIP that we got all sorts of nightmarish thoughts in our head? ;D ;D - I think it was the bit about "cruisers bobbing about in the water" that may have us double-checking our Transatlantic cruise home next April.

Masako Queen was the longest coldest 7hrs we've ever spent in our lives. The deep sea fishing trip left South Harbor at 9am. By 10am we were in heavy seas and a lot of the 30 or so onboard were fealing the effects.

The captain decided to pull lobster pots first - remember every passenger gets a random pot and keeps legal catches. Roughly 50% got a lobster (some got 3).

Ann-Marie got 6 small crab claws - they just rip the main 2 off each crab and throw the majority back in. My soft side comes out here and I have to disagree with this practice - if your gonna eat most of the thing then great, but to kill it for 2 tiny claws is just not on (in my book).

Then, in my pot I got the ugliest fish you could ever hope to see. It was around 6 inches long and 4 inches wide, with lots of spikes up its back. We got a pic but it will be a while before its developed (my digital has broke again, so using 35mm).

When we reached our main fishing spot it was blowing a gale and freezing cold (but still no rain? ;D).

We dropped our lines but every 5 minutes were told to reel in as we needed to move away from lobster pots - we seemed to do this for ages and quickly lost interest in the fishing.

I caught a small Pollock - and Ann-Marie caught a DUCK !! (yes, you heard it correct, a DUCK).

As she was lowering her line with 2 fish heads for bait, a duck got to it before it went under and caught the barb in its beak - so she had to "land" the duck for it to be removed. (and I had the orange sauce ready too).

After around 2hrs we (and a lot of others) were feeling pretty ill and just sat there trying not to throw-up.

The boat returned to the Harbor after nearly 8hrs and we couldn't wait to get off.

Would we recommend this tour - No.

Not due to the weather, but the boat was just tatty and provided little escape from the elements. And Im not even gonna tell you about the toilet.

Seafood Ketch Restaurant - we had planned to go to this place after our fishing trip, but didnt think we could stomach the smell of fish after out boat tour.

However, we decided to go - it's a 20 minute walk from the CG.

The setting was very pleasant on the harbor side and there is a good choice on the menu (including non-seafood). There is a great wine list as very reasonable prices.

Our food was OK for the very reasonable prices - although a baked potato cut into quarters and fried doesn't equal the menu description of steak fries in my book.

When we ordered a couple of desserts, we really didnt want to see the waitress in the kitchen licking the cake slice clean either !!

Well, that's it for our TOO short stay in this area, as we move on tomorrow.

Paul

UK-RV said:
...I did search the forum....

As I said Paul, you need to look in our library - click the Library button above and select Trip reports.

Paul,

The only other place you'd expect trip reorts to be is on the Trip reports, journals and logs message board.

There may have been some reports in our old forum venue that didn't make it here to our current venue. Let me know specifically what you're looking for and I'll search my archives to see if there's something I missed during the move.

Paul,

We just did a month in Newfoundland and Labrador so here are some tips.  Re the ferry, it's less costly and MUCH more comfortable to take the short ferry from North Sidnay to Port aux Basques, drive to St. John's and retrace your trip between St John's and Deer Lake on your way to Saint Anthony.  Then when you return to Port aux Basque take a short 2-day trip to Labrador.  At St. Barbe the city has a secured area to park your MH so you only take your tow car to Labrador and spend 1 night in the Northern Lights Motel. 

Diesel and gasoline is US$4.00 to US$4.25 per US gallon.  The short ferry (N. Sydney/Port aux Basques) is only 6 hours while the long ferry N. Sydney to Argentia (50 miles from St John's) is 14 hours.  You CANNOT sleep on or even go to your MH during the ferry ride.  If you have a dog the ferry has FREE kennels.  To calculate your costs compare the ferry cost for the short ferry with the long ferry (include a stateroom for the long ferry C$135.00).  Then compare the cost difference between the two ferries with the fuel costs for the return mileage one way that you drive from St John's back to Deer Lake. 

For us it was US$150 less costly plus, even more importantly, on the drive between Deer Lake and St John's you can stop at a couple of different places as you drive one direction and different places as you return in the other direction. 

Must sees are the entire St John's area (we stayed at the Pippy RV Park for 5 nights) , Gander, Bonavista peninsula, Rocky Harbour (Gros Morne park), Labrador (Red Bay), and St. Anthony (L'anse Meadows).  Rocky Harbour RV park has fast and free WiFi.  Our only disappointment was that there are NO iceburgs this year.

JerryF

Hi Jerry and Ardra

If you want to see icebergs you have to come to Alaska and take the 2 for 1 boat trip out of Valdez to the Columbia Glacier and you will see hundreds of them. :D  In fact, there are so many that you can only go within eight miles of the glacier :(

UK-RV said:
Masako Queen was the longest coldest 7hrs we've ever spent in our lives. The deep sea fishing trip left South Harbor at 9am. By 10am we were in heavy seas and a lot of the 30 or so onboard were fealing the effects.
When we reached our main fishing spot it was blowing a gale and freezing cold (but still no rain? ;D).

We dropped our lines but every 5 minutes were told to reel in as we needed to move away from lobster pots - we seemed to do this for ages and quickly lost interest in the fishing.After around 2hrs we (and a lot of others) were feeling pretty ill and just sat there trying not to throw-up.

Paul,

Terry says your description sounds pretty typical of any fishing charter. Most of the boats do look pretty ratty.? Now you know why I don't go out on fishing charters! He says your price was unbelievably inexpensive! What a memory you will have of this adventure.
Betty

Lorna,

When we took that very same trip in 1998 we took the LAST tour of the day and it really paid off.  First the Captian threaded the boat right up to the face of the glacier.  It took an hour.  Then, second, as we worked our way out of the icefield of small glaciers he told us that he just talked to a shrimp boat Captian and he was catching wonderfully big shrimp. 

The shrimp boat was about 3-4 miles out in the ocean and if we wanted to get back to the dock a couple of hours late we could go out to the shrimp boat.  Everyone agreed and we did.  Out Captain collected the money and when we got to the Shrimp boat they tossed a line between the two boats and we passed the money over and the the shrimp boat passed many one pound bags of "already peeled" shrimp.  Our Captian then told us to get a big pot of water boiling, throw the shrimp in, and when they float remove them...they are cooked within 2 minutes or less.  This was the best shrimp Ardra and I ever had.  Everybody tipped the Captian very well!

JerryF

You might try the Cat Ferry from Bar Harbor to Nova Scotia.? Could save you a couple hundred miles of driving that you'll see on the way back anyway.

The fisheries museum in Lunenburg is great as is the maritime museum in Halifax.? The cemetery graves of the Titanic victims were a moving sight in Halifax.?

The Lobster Supper at St. Anne's Church was a highlight for us in PEI...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom