Nova Scotia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StockHR

My wife and I have decided to visit Nova Scotia this spring. Is April/May too early weather wise to make the trip. I would like to visit there in April and we would travel through Prince Edward Island. Also any campground recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks as always. Mike

Mike, April  and even well into May can be cold, damp, and snowy in the Maritimes, that is why we try to stay south until late May or early June.  Many campgrounds don't open until mid May, our season seems to be set to open on our May 24th week end, a week before your Memorial Day, so that likely will be a problem for you.
    New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI all have great tourist departments with websites.  There is a lot to see and do, but a month or more later would be better.

Ed

How are you making out looking at the Tourist Bureay websites.  Do you have any questions?

Ed

We were on the road for 100 days, Alabama to NB, PI, NS, & NF and back to Al., six years ago.  We loved the trip.  Don't just drive through NB.  We took HWY 9 from Bangor, Me and entered Canada at Calais, NB.  and came back into the US at Houlton on I 95. We loved St. John, NB.  Be sure to visit the Reversing Falls. We did not make any camping plans and did not have a problem with getting a place to camp.  Plan on spending time in northern NS.  Cape Breton Highlands are beautiful and are a must. We spent a day at Louisbourg and really enjoyed the experience.  See the play "Ann of Green Gables" and ride the tour bus while in Charlottetown, PI and visit the Green Gables farm.

We got booklets on all the provinces from tourist departments and spent a lot of time planing our routes. We took the short ferry route to Newfoundland, spent 2 weeks in NF, and then took the short ferry route back. We did not take our MH to Labrador, instead ,we took the day ferry to Lab and rented a car for the day. Glad that we did that, but I would not do it again. We should have spent that day doing something in NF.  St Johns, NF is the most Eastern point in North America. Very interesting but expect rain. If you go to NF be sure to visit the St Anthony area and spend time in the wilderness areas in southeastern Newfoundland.

Next to Alaska this has been our best trip.

Frank

Several of us have been to Nova Scotia and PEI.  If you do a search by the using the "Search" button on the tool bar above, you will find lots of threads on the "Maritimes".  You can also go to TRIPS, REPORTS, JOURNAL AND LOGS section of the forum and read other peoples trips.  There will be recommendations and ideas on what to do for your journey.  Be sure and go back to prior years. 

We were there in 2009 and had a wonderful trip.  We've been on several trips since then, so my memory is a bit rusty, but I recall that we stayed at "Peggy's Cove" near Halifax.  Halifax is a fun city, Luxenburg? (spelling) is also a neat place to visit.  On PEI, we stayed a great place along the river; but for the life of me I can't remember the name.  Ed (Hfx Cdn) camped there with us and lives in the Halifax area, so maybe he'll jump in with the campground name.  It's in the back of a motel.

As Ed mentioned before I would not travel that area until June or better yet July.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
As Ed mentioned before I would not travel that area until June or better yet July.

Marsha~

We were there July 4, 2011, it was bitter cold, rainy, and damp.  Be prepared for that!

Greg H. said:
We were there July 4, 2011, it was bitter cold, rainy, and damp.  Be prepared for that!

actually ALL of 2011 was that way :(
It really never warmed up around here last year. This year was nice.
I am in NB and even though the gov'ment fixed the highway and twined it and made it so you can drive thru without having to stop at those pesky tourist places, NB is NOT just a highway to Nova Scotia.
You really could spend some time here and check things out. (but we don't open until the end of may :) )

Thanks to all who responded to our question. Not a big fan of cold and damp weather so we will delay heading North until late June. Really looking forward to the trip and we have received a lot of tourist information already. Thanks again, Mike and Pam.

As you sift through all the information, and read the trip reports from previous visits, ask any questions that come to mind.  There is a lot to see and do in all 3 Maritime Provinces, and if you add Newfoundland it would be another month to do it properly. 

ed

Back
Top Bottom