Novice questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ROVER

Hello All:

We have completed two weekend outings, staying within an hour of home each time, just to get used to using the systems properly. Rover ('89 Ford Econoline E350 with an American coach) performed admirably.  We had two wonderful weekends and can't wait to go again.
    My questions relate to the coach systems as follows...

1. What happens if the gray or black water holding tanks get overfull?
2. The first trip, when we visited the dump station on our way out of the park, I took off the dump pipe cap to hook up the hose and it was completely dry. The second trip, when I did so, I got a gush of wastewater! Thank goodness for the rinse hose at the station. Both of the holding tank valves were securely closed. Is this a result of the tanks being too full?
3. Regarding the hot water heater-if one is hooked up to "city" water, does this water flow into the hot water heater, or is the HW heater fed only by the fresh water holding tank via the pump?
4. Am I correct in believing that the only way to access the fresh water from the holding tank is to run the pump?

Thanks Much for any advice-

Chas

Chas,

1. If the gray water tank fills, it will back up into the lowest drain, probably the shower.  If the black tank fills, it will back up into the toilet.

2. It sounds like one of the valves wasn't completely closed.  I hope it was the gray water :)

3. Yes, the city water will supply the entire RV water system.

4. Yes, the pump is connected to the outlet of the fresh water tank.

Hi Chas,

Welcome to the forum. I see Ned has answered your questions. As far as liquid in the dump pipe, it has happened a couple of times to me. Not sure why as I make sure the valves are closed. It could be a small particle was caught in the seal and leaked a little. Then the liquid might wash it out so the seal closes. Knowing how the seals works tells me this is almost impossible but I have no other explanation. :)

Your hot water heater will fill automatically from either the tank with pump or city water. The only way to drain it is from outside. You should do that once a year or so just to remove any deposits that might be accumulating.

Hello Ned and Jim:

Thank You for responding to my queries.  Apparently it was the black water that leaked into Rover's drain pipe. The valve was closed securely, but perhaps leakage occurred due to particulate matter trapped in the valve.

In the future I will thoroughly flush both the gray and black water tanks with fresh water from a bucket before closing the valves. Hopefully this will prevent the reoccurence of a surprise gush of water when I uncork the drain pipe.

Chas

Jim Dick said:
Hi Chas,

Welcome to the forum. I see Ned has answered your questions. As far as liquid in the dump pipe, it has happened a couple of times to me. Not sure why as I make sure the valves are closed. It could be a small particle was caught in the seal and leaked a little. Then the liquid might wash it out so the seal closes. Knowing how the seals works tells me this is almost impossible but I have no other explanation. :)

Your hot water heater will fill automatically from either the tank with pump or city water. The only way to drain it is from outside. You should do that once a year or so just to remove any deposits that might be accumulating.

I hope I don't get in trouble for asking...this is off tpoic, but all the questions seem to have been answered.

How do these valves work exactly?? They are called "knife valves" right? Either way, how does one go about lubricating them so they are easier to open? On my familes' TT, the gray water valves has always been stiff, and it makes closing it hard to do. However it does not leak once closed. Are the seals, connecting rod "lubeable"?? If so, what would I use to lubricate them.

And if off topic posts are frowned upon here, please tell me because I don't want to make anyone mad

Thanks!

Jeff

You won't make anyone mad with off-topic questions. If we think a message is way off topic, one of the staff will move it. In this case, your question was a naturall follow-on to the discussion.

Jeff,

They are knife valves. There's a rubber gasket on either side of the blade that seals the pipe. To lube that you would have to remove the valve. Might as well put on a new one. :)

One question you asked I have not seen fully answered.  Accessing the fresh water in the fresh water tank

In addition to the pump there will be a drain either a valve, or a plug or in my case one of each, you can open/remove to drain the tank.

It would be possible to, for example, fill a bucket from the drain on most of them if you needed to do that.

However normally this valve/plug is only used when emptying the tank for winter or long-term storage

Jeff,

Like Jim mentioned it is probably better to just chage the valve if it gets too sticky.  There are better valves available now that have less tendancy to become sticky that are a direct replacement.

Back
Top Bottom