NY and Vermont Fall Trip Report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CeeBeeEll

We just returned from our long awaited 10 day trip from NC to NY and VT. We had a lot of fun, saw a lot of new scenery, and hit the fall foliage colors in NY and VT perfectly. Here are a few notes that may help someone else in their trip planning. I will do a more thorough job on our travel blog at  www.lomaxonline.com as time permits.

I-77 from NC to WV was pretty easy in spite of the rain. First night was a few hours rest in Princeton WV Wal-Mart parking lot. Highway US 19 in WV was a pretty slow climb in places for our gas Bounder. After getting back on I-79 it was smooth sailing again. Gas in VA is the cheapest.. WV and PA next. Fuel up before getting to NY.

Lake Erie State Park was a nice place on the shore of Lake Erie. Beware that there are no water or sewer hookups, only electric. If 20 amp suites you, there are spots along the lake front. The 50amp services boxes are back from the lake a bit. Low bridge alert! - Lake Erie State Park is near Brockton NY, with the road to the park having a low clearance bridge - 11 Feet. You'll have to go up the road a few miles to Dunkirk then back to the park to bypass that bridge unless you are under 11 feet.

North of Buffalo is the Niagara Falls North KOA, a rather small and tight cg, but all in all a nice little place with free WiFi. We had a pull through that was pretty easy to get into and out of. It is located just off the Moses Parkway and is about a 15 minute drive down to the Rainbow Bridge providing quick (non-commercial only) access to Canada. This made for a very quick border crossing both ways and a afternoon at the Canadian side of the falls. Awesome!

The drive along the south shore of Lake Ontario to Oswego is beautiful but slow. We really enjoyed that leg of the trip so I was glad we didn't have to hurry.

After heading north on I-81 we took NY Route 12 and then NY 37 along the river. The Massena Wal-Mart was a nice late night stop before going on to VT.

Stowe VT and the Gold Brook Campground was our base for the next 4 days. This is a nice little campground and is the perfect place to stay as a base camp for the Stowe area. The place is an old farm with the camping area in a large meadow. The place was well kept and open. The sites have back to back utilities; one pull in next to one back in. That actually provided us with a more private site than normal because there was a large open space with a tree or two between us and our curb-side neighbor.

All the tourist stuff to be done in VT was done: Ben and Jerrys, Granite Quarry, Cabot Cheese, and the Cold Hollow Cider Mill, plus lots and lots of miles on the toad looking at the montains and fall colors.

Back through NY, Lake George was at its fall color peak as was most of the route through NY down to Binghampton, and through PA to Hershey.

We thought Hershey would be a good mid point stop, but with some very large antique show going on at Hershey World, we couldn't get near the place. Later that afternoon found us at Harrisonburg VA at the KOA just off of I-81. This was a beautiful find in the mountains, just don't get discouraged navigating the small, winding paved road that spans the 3.5 miles between it and I-81... you'll eventually get there. This was a very nice little mountain hideaway that is very well maintained. There is a playground for the kids, hiking trails, and lots of trees.

Another special little find there was a restaurant called the Blue Stone Inn, located about 2 miles on the other side of I-81 from the KOA. The place has been there since the 1920s and is truly one of a kind, with some of the best steak and seafood we had on our entire trip.

Well, those are the highlights...hope it helps someone else. As I said before, I'll try to write more on our blog. In the mean time, you can check our our pictures of the trip by visiting our blog and clicking the picture link on the favorite links menu on the left side of the page.

Thanks for reading, and drive safely!

Sounds like you had a great trip... We have stayed at the KOA by Niagara Falls .. Nice place.. We did the US side.. We couldn't cross over due to one of our kids...  You hit the colors at the right time.. Glad you had a safe trip...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom