Observant dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roy M

Doesn't involve the rv but still funny. Millie the Shih-Tzu cross quickly learned to intently watch me as I sit down to eat my toast, I break a piece off and toss it to her. She picked it up and as usual headed to the bedroom, she won't let me watch her as she eats. I accidently broke a second piece so tossed it behind her, it landed behind the water dish. She stopped, dropped the first one and returned to investigate but didn't see anything so headed to the bedroom. She again stopped, thought about it, came back for a further search and found it. Gobbled it down then carried on with the first one. She doesn't miss anything!

Not surprising.  Our two Golden's have figured out every successive way we have used to say 'walk'.  I.e 'go out', stroll, that thing, w-a-l-k, making walking finger motions.

Same deal with any kind of food.

Dogs spend their every waking moment (about 4 hours a day) watching and analyzing their humans.  Unless there is a squirrel in sight! 

Whenever I needed  to go to Lowe?s or Home Depot, it got to the point that I had to spell it out so he wouldn?t know I was going. Now that doesn?t work. I?m going to have to revert to sign language.

When our gang of kids (all eight ) were young and we had Pepper, she would allow and welcome any strange other children to join the group, but if a strange adult came any where near them she would start growling until we told her they were OK

Jack L

8Muddypaws said:
Not surprising.  Our two Golden's have figured out every successive way we have used to say 'walk'.  I.e 'go out', stroll, that thing, w-a-l-k, making walking finger motions.

Same deal with any kind of food.

Dogs spend their every waking moment (about 4 hours a day) watching and analyzing their humans.  Unless there is a squirrel in sight!

I couldn't agree more.

My dog gave up on the squirrels that live in our back yard. She finally realized there is absolutely no chance of catching them and I told her no.

I probably saved every one of those squirrels out of our pool by hand as babies. They're actually really cute. It's weird, they walk right up to me which is unnatural. I've never fed them; they just seem to know I won't hurt them.

One night, one of them came down our chimney and decided to hang out with me. I opened the door and he/she/it just went outside.

I had an Old English Sheepdog named Teiler (Teiler Seiler was his registered name) and if he saw a cat in the back yard he would rush and chase it out of the yard. One day I let him out of the back door and he spotted a cat and gave it a chase. The cat ran to the corner of the yard, turned around and face Teiler instead of running up the wall and out of the yard. T stopped a few feet from the cat and just stared at it. He had never caught a cat and had no idea what to do next. He gave up and returned to me, and the cat hopped the fence and never came back.

Attachments

• Tom 1985-05.jpg
    Tom 1985-05.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 31
;D I remember my parents collie doing that, he was so humiliated he slunk under the porch and wouldn't come to me. He knew I was laughing at him.

Tom55555 said:
I couldn't agree more.

My dog gave up on the squirrels that live in our back yard. She finally realized there is absolutely no chance of catching them and I told her no.

I probably saved every one of those squirrels out of our pool by hand as babies. They're actually really cute. It's weird, they walk right up to me which is unnatural. I've never fed them; they just seem to know I won't hurt them.

One night, one of them came down our chimney and decided to hang out with me. I opened the door and he/she/it just went outside.

I was sitting in my easy chair reading one afternoon several years ago and our older Golden came strolling in with half a very fresh squirrel in her mouth.  It was the back half.  Never found the head.  I assumed she ate it.

Our younger one is obsessed with them now.  She'll never catch one.  Or will she?

One day I watch the neighbor lady talking to cat knowing that cat couldn't understand.  I thought that was the funniest thing so went inside and told my dog and we both laughed.

Seon said:
One day I watch the neighbor lady talking to cat knowing that cat couldn't understand.  I thought that was the funniest thing so went inside and told my dog and we both laughed.
The cat understood. It just didn't care.

Dogs spend their every waking moment (about 4 hours a day) watching and analyzing their humans.

So true!  My sister lived in a five-level house and when we all visited their dog knew exactly where every one of us was.  He would lie on the middle level where he could see up to the bedrooms on the upper two levels, into the kitchen, dining room and living rooms on his level, and down to the family room and garage entry hallway.  If the basement door opened he was down there in a flash.  We used to get a kick out of watching him watching us.  He was one smart dog.  And aren't they all?!?

When I was about four we lived in Nashville TN.  Daddy was stationed at Camp Campbell (now Fort) KY which was about 130 miles away.  They had a beautiful Irish Setter on the base that was getting old so they decided to retire the Sergeant (yes, he wore his stripes on his hide).  They thought we would be a good family so Daddy brought him home.  One day he was in the house when someone knocked at the door.  When Mother opened the door that dog slipped by her and was gone!  In a couple of days he was back at Camp Campbell.  Daddy brought him home again and darned if the dog didn't get loose again and find his way back to his real home.  He obviously was not a family dog!  But we all were amazed that he had such an unerring sense of direction that he was able to find his way back home.  And, yes, he stayed at Camp Campbell for the rest of his life.  After all, that's where all his friends and family were!

ArdraF

I read somewhere that dogs develop a vocabulary, can be around 300 words. Our Cairn Terrier is very, very smart and knows many names and words. You can talk to him and he listens intently, cocking his head when he hears things he knows. Some words cause him to light up, like "walk". Or "Pizza" ...that is a very special thing for him. If we haven't eaten by about 6pm, he assumes maybe a pizza is coming and will intently listen for approaching cars or footsteps, and if we get up off the couch or something too quickly, he thinks we're going to answer the door to retrieve the pizza. it's hard to back him down when we're cooking at home and get a late start to dinner. He hates "car rides" and will hide when that is said. But if you mention "house car", he gets excited because he knows we're going camping in the RV.

Skookum said:
I read somewhere that dogs develop a vocabulary, can be around 300 words. Our Cairn Terrier is very, very smart and knows many names and words. You can talk to him and he listens intently, cocking his head when he hears things he knows. Some words cause him to light up, like "walk". Or "Pizza" ...that is a very special thing for him. If we haven't eaten by about 6pm, he assumes maybe a pizza is coming and will intently listen for approaching cars or footsteps, and if we get up off the couch or something too quickly, he thinks we're going to answer the door to retrieve the pizza. it's hard to back him down when we're cooking at home and get a late start to dinner. He hates "car rides" and will hide when that is said. But if you mention "house car", he gets excited because he knows we're going camping in the RV.

My dog talks via ears, eyes, body position, moaning and dancing around. I think she thinks she's human. LOL

Mine has all of yours beat. He can tell time. Every day at 3:30 give or take 5 minutes he starts bugging the wife. He wants to eat.

Not unusual; our pair of papillions, especially the younger one, alert at 1:00 pm without exception knowing that it is time for me to fix a Stinger and slice of cheddar (I always cut them small pieces of cheese) they expect to stand on hind legs to get their pieces. Immediately after they close in on Tara to get doggie treats.
Then they demand a walk!

Ernie

It may be that they are watching tv because I always have CNBC on during the week. They sometimes are off as much as 10 to 15 minutes on we's and holidays.

I read of an experiment, where the researcher went into a room with three bucket. He would turn them upside done, and place a treat under one of them. Someone would let a dog into the room, and the researcher would point to the bucket with the treat. Without hesitation, the dog would go straight to the right bucket and retrieve the treat.

Interestingly, neither tame wolves nor chimps were sufficiently attuned to man's ge4stures, to be able to duplicate that.

Joel

My dog is a sleeper. He slept through someone stealing our toad in a campground, and the other night he slept through a bear destroying our sewer hose as he passed though the campground.

Back
Top Bottom