Obtaining DEF in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Telemark46

In June, we will be travelling from CA (the US one) to Alaska and back with a diesel truck and travel trailer. I know fuel will be more expensive in Canada based on higher taxes. I wonder if the same is true for DEF? Also, I wonder how common it is to find pumps with DEF at truck stops. My guess is that I will be better to fill the DEF tank before I head north and perhaps top up in Alaska, but any advice will be welcome.

As Gary says DEF is readily available at Canadian Tire and many other auto supply stores. Also available at most gas stations that sell diesel (in a 2 gal jug). I have seen a few truck stops with bulk DEF dispensers too.

If you are going via BC you will pay more for fuel but not likely more than you are currently used to in CA (especially with the exchange rate). If you travel through AB you will find fuel significantly cheaper then in BC. Currently ~$1.80/L for diesel in Calgary, and over $2.00 in most of BC.

Just been in to Walmart in Penticton, they sell DEF, just as they do in the US.

We don't all live in log cabins up here. LOL

Just to add to the above posts, "Canadian Tire" is a large hardware/houseware/automotive store chain. There are about 500 of them across the country and just about any reasonable sized community will have at least one. They are far more ubiquitos than Walmart or Costco.

The issue I hear about Canadian and Alaskan DEF is that it isn’t found at the pumps due to the cold temps. You just buy the jugs at fuel stations or big box stores. I don’t like the jugs because of the amount of plastic waste associated with them, but I will just have to make due for our trip this summer. We will go into Canada with a full DEF tank and 3 jugs of DEF (7 gallon tank). When we need to use one, we will buy another. Still provides safety in case of a local shortage in a small town, but I hope to get by with not much more than that.

I'll assume you're taking the Alaskan highway... you'll be fine all the way to Dawson Creek. There's a Wallmart and a Canadian Tire there. There is also a Wallmart and Canadian Tire in Fort St John. Fill up and buy your spares. There's not much from there to Whitehorse.

Thanks for all the answers. I'll start out full, carry some extras (prob. cheaper in the US) and know I can find it if I need it. I now know I won't likely find it at the pumps. After having our trip cancelled for the last two years by COVID restrictions, we're hoping nothing gets in the way this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom