Odor removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azbeachboy

My wife left a whole chicken in the freezer for two weeks while the trailer was in storage. We're tried bleach,soap and activated charcoal. We removed the back plate and cleaned up there also. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the odor?
Thanks
Chuck

The recommended cleaner for most refrigeration gear is not bleach nor charcoal but BAKING SODA,  Instructions are often on the box

I have used baking soda.. I've also used steam but never in an RV unit  I find water at 220 degrees is a very powerful cleaner

(Yes, I know it boils at 212 that's why I said STEAM)  It is amazing what it can do

Amen to the baking soda.  Sometimes vinegar works too. I've also seen a mixture of vinegar and baking soda recommended - mix it to a paste and use it as a cleanser or spread it on a plate and let it absobr odors for a couple days (replacing as needed if it crusts over or dres out).

Chuck,

Turn a fox loose in the henhouse ;D
Seriously, you might try spraying Febreeze (sp?) inside, especially around the covered freezing coils, and let it sit for a day or two, then use another hand-held sprayer with water or a mild vinegar solution to wash it down. Might work.

RV Roamer said:
Amen to the baking soda.  Sometimes vinegar works too. I've also seen a mixture of vinegar and baking soda recommended - mix it to a paste and use it as a cleanser or spread it on a plate and let it absobr odors for a couple days (replacing as needed if it crusts over or dres out).

I have heard of a vinegar baking soda mix before but kind of wonder how you mix acids and bases without things happening?

Though from what I've heard, it can be done... Just seems strange to me

John,

Here's the reaction formula: CH3COOH  +  NaHCO3  --->  CH3COONa  +  H2CO3. The H2CO3 is carbonic acid, which quickly decomposes into CO2 and H2O. You'd get about the same result by shaking up a bottle of carbonated water and spraying it around.

All you chemistry-savvy guys are making my head buzz  :(

Hope all this is beig done outside in the Sunlight.  that's supposed to make everything better,  hope so that's one reason I'm in AZ  PS  don';t think its working to well.

Back
Top Bottom