Off grid washing machine usage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nobleweiss2

Hi! Question about running a front load washer using a generator and a water pump hooked up to water haul tank. How do I do it? Do I keep the pump running the whole time? How does it work? I got the machine for free and figured I'd try to use it.

You could run a 12 volt RV water pump which has a built in pressure/on/off switch.  When the washer valve called for water the RV pump would kick on, when washer valve shut RV pump would turn off.

Or run a hose into your RV and tap in a faucet since washing machine has garden hose fittings

Is your RV piped/prepped for a washer? If it is, why not use the on board water pump and use the water from your fresh water tank. Then just refill it when it gets low.
If the water haul tank is higher than the gravity fill port, you can just let it gravity feed the water into your fresh water tank in the RV. No need for a 2nd pump. 

However, the second pump could be nice to have. Whether you pump directly from your auxiliary tank for your washing, or use the pump to refill the RV fresh tank.....the second pump (RV type)will be beneficial. Plus, you now have a backup pump, in the event your RV pump fails. We use our “2nd pump” quite often to refill our RV fresh tank!
    My personal recommendation is, assuming the RV is plumbed for a washing machine... use from the RV fresh tank, which will give you both hot and cold water for the wash. Then, use your “2nd” RV type pump to refill the RV fresh tank from your auxiliary fresh tank as needed!

It would be good to know where you plan to use this combo unit.  If inside the RV your gray tank will fill fairly quickly.  If elsewhere (such as outside on a patio) is there a place for the gray hose to drain?  Not many places allow dumping of gray water onto the ground.

ArdraF

Just to add to what darsben said.  We're in a park right now with no sewer connections, just water and electric.  Not realizing we didn't have sewer, my wife filled a stone empty 50 gal gray tank by doing just 3 loads of wash.  I did get a Navy shower in between a couple of the loads.
Those things use a lot of water.  If we boondock for any length of time, we just hit the laundromat in town.

The dumping of ?grey water? varies from state to state and even regions within states. A study of legalities for the particular area is recommended!

maddog348 said:
Even when done "Legally" it can lead to very messy campsite. And it does Smell.

JM2?  ~~  YMMV

That’s where those very long sewer hoses (discussed on another forum), can be very beneficial!  ;)  Draining it “downwind”, is also helpful! 

Memtb said:
  That?s where those very long sewer hoses (discussed on another forum), can be very beneficial!  ;)  Draining it ?downwind?, is also helpful!

I've been in several parks that let you dump your gray water.  Not one of them will let you do it with the 3" hose, you have to get the adapter and use a garden hose. 

My off grid washing machine usually accompanies me on every trip.. !

fortunately for me she does not read these posts else i would qualify
for some kind of posthumous award !! ;D ;D

solarman said:
My off grid washing machine usually accompanies me on every trip.. !

fortunately for me she does not read these posts else i would qualify
for some kind of posthumous award !! ;D ;D

It was nice knowing you solarman... :'( :'( .....  ;D ;D

We'll set the award on the dash of your RV....Somehow I have a feeling if your wife finds that comment....We will never find your body ;D ;D

Thank you for all the ideas! We just bought some land, 160 acres in ne az. So it is private property. No gopher holes here but lots of rat holes to dump in lol. I will eventually start reusing the grey water for the garden. No, our 28' TT isn't plumbed for washing.

Oh no, you are going to destroy the environment by dumping grey water ;-)

You know what i use my grey water for?  I use it to pressure wash my ATVs and my tow vehicle when I'm dry camping.  It is a great stealth way to dump our gray water without attracting too much attention and water is sudsy because my pressure washer has a soap dispenser (but is actually empty or filled with a little bleach to disinfect the water).

I also use my grey to flush my toilets.  Saves a bit on fresh water usage.

Back
Top Bottom