Off Road Diesel????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceinFL

Hi All,
Can someone help? A few weeks ago I heard something on the news while in the truck about the Feds authorizing use of off road diesel for on road vehicles in states affected by the hurricanes: FL, AL, MS, LA, etc. for a certain period of time.  I have been searching for something in writing to take to the service station (they never heard of it) but so far haven't had any success. Has anyone heard or seen anything about this?

Thanks,

Hi All,
I found this statement on the GOP national committee website but haven't found the specifics yet:

The Treasury Department Has Waived Regulatory Rules For Dyed Diesel Fuel.  The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced that it would allow use of "dyed diesel fuel" for on-road use without a tax penalty, increasing diesel supplies.  Dyed diesel fuel ordinarily is not subject to Federal excise taxes because it is intended for off-road use in farm equipment or in certain government vehicles such as school buses.  The IRS announced that it would not penalize those who used dyed diesel fuel for on-road use, and this waiver has been extended following Hurricane Rita. 

Maybe I'll find something on the Treasury/IRS website.

Ooops, looks like it's too late. Found this:

Treasury Department The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced that "dyed diesel fuel" is now permitted for road use. Dyed diesel fuel ordinarily is not subject to federal excise taxes because it is intended for off-road use in farm equipment or in certain government vehicles such as school buses. The fuel is dyed to distinguish it from diesel fuel intended for road use. The relief will remain in effect through September 15, 2005.

If you had used it, NEVER EVER let a station attendant in MT fill your tank.? IF they notice the residue red color they have to report it and you could lose your vehicle.? I don't know if there is any relief here but for those traveling through, beware.

James Godward said:
If you had used it, NEVER EVER let a station attendant in MT fill your tank.? IF they notice the residue red color they have to report it and you could lose your vehicle.? I don't know if there is any relief here but for those traveling through, beware.

Jim,
Can't they tell when you pay for the fuel after self fueling which pump it came from, or don't they care? In FL, the off-road comes from a separate pump and you can't pay via credit card at that pump.

Bill,

>>The dye lasts that long?  Does it stain the fill tube or something?<<

I'm told that it will be in the fuel system literally forever.  As I understand it, it was designed that way.  I'll see if I can find out more details on Saturday when all the hams are here.  Several are farmers so I should get good information. 

I live in mortal fear of screwing up and getting the wrong pump someday.  There are safeguards but if there is a way ...  VBG

Thanks Jim.  I knew something had a dye in it, but no idea what or repercussions.  I guess home heating must have this as well. 

Something to cinsider when buying a used diesel truck, heck if the guy before used it, you could be at risk.  But, how would you know? 

Back
Top Bottom