Off to a rocky start!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrystalRose

My husband and I are new RV owners. We're traveling from CA to FL with our 3 cats. On day 2 we lost one of our cats and our air conditioning at the same time. We tore the RV apart looking for her. We finally found her at the end of the day. She had wedged herself into a drawer that had come off the rails, wouldn't lock, and that we couldnt see without the slide open; itmust have open and shut during transit. We were so relieved to see her alive and well when we opened that drawer! As for the air, we found one person to help us with a partial fix, as he was booked up for the next month and a half and couldnt do a full repair. And our steps stopped working; we have to climb out the drivers side door whenever we exit. We have a Class A 2022 Georgie Boy Landau which we were recently given by my father in law. We put a tremendous amount of money into repairs and upgrades just prior to our trip, including the air and the steps! Unfortunately, these problems didnt occur until after we left CA. I am going to ask them for a refund although I have my doubts that they will comply. I didnt see a forum for Class A owners so I thought I would start here. Thank you for hearing me out, and safe travels all!

Thank you for your quick replies NY_Dutch! As far as the step is concerned...it extends okay, but when it retracts, my husband has to push it in and it makes a series of 3 or 4 really loud grinding noises. We spent apx. 600.00 having the motor changed b4 we left CA. As my husband was driving in a narrow windy stretch with a concrete barrier to the right, we heard a bang. The step had partially extended and it he pranged it against the concrete. Now, we keep it duct taped up and only use the driver door. As far as the air in the chassis is concerned...it stopped blowing cold air, so we are forced to keep the generator running all the time to get air in the cab, which helps, but not a lot. The repair to the air in CA was also apx 600.00. One of the important lessons learned from this experience...don't make major repairs and then leave the state right away!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the steps are going to need replacing if the pieces are bent and damaged. No amount of hammering and prying will ever get it to the point where it will work reliably. First RV I had was a motorhome that was missing the awning and had brand new steps. The shop at the dealer told me they had been destroyed by the owner attempting to drive off with them out.........

Charles

We travel with 4 cats, soon to be 5. Get them chipped, collar them with a tracking device(we use apple air tags), count them before bringing in slides, reward them when they are where you want them. Let them out in a catio or some other creative outdoor structure. Cats are great travel companions if you consider their routine - and they each have one!!!

As for the annoying fixes, consider DIY. Many people here will help. Youtube is a great resource. When you have to rely on someone else for RV repairs, you’re going to be disappointed. Take matters into your own hands. The repair is much more gratifying.

We have a Class A 2002 Georgie Boy Landau which we were recently given by my father in law.
Georgie Boy built a good RV for the prices. They were taken over by Coachman Ind. in 2000 but when Thor bought out Coachman RV in 2009, Georgie Boy as a separate line of RV went out of existence. I had a 1999 Cruise Master by GB that we lived in fulltime for 12 years and owned for 14 years.
As far as the step is concerned...it extends okay, but when it retracts, my husband has to push it in and it makes a series of 3 or 4 really loud grinding noises.
The grinding probably meant that the hinge points needed to be cleaned of dirt & grit and lubricated with a good, dry lubricant. If it is badly bent you probably will need to replace it. They can be purchased from Amazon, or you might be able to use one of this type of portable step. They cost less than $50. 1718648883049.png

As far as the air in the chassis is concerned...it stopped blowing cold air, so we are forced to keep the generator running all the time to get air in the cab, which helps, but not a lot.
It is quite normal with any class A to need the generator and roof air conditioner to stay comfortable when traveling in hot weather. Even a perfectly working chassis air conditioner will not keep the inside comfortable alone if the weather is hot. If your chassis a/c isn't cooling it my just need to be recharged but since the RV is 22 years old it could easily be that you need a new compressor.

The step had partially extended and it he pranged it against the concrete.
Last year I hit a sizeable road alligator in a construction zone, no avoiding it. Turned my steps into modern art. I got them to where they were half extended using a 2x4 as a pry bar and that's how they stayed for the rest of the trip. This past winter I removed them and a couple saturdays of percussive persuasion, a pry bar, hydraulic jack, touch up welding and a paint job they were restored to service. But that's only because I have the tools to do that. I could've bought new steps for a grand, maybe found some at an RV salvage yard for half that, so based on your repair figure you might be money and effort ahead to replace vs repair.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Something that has worked out in our travels is to carry a "stair step exercise" step.

1718651327723.png

Not that it will ever get used for it's original purpose but it's a great "third step" when leveling or terrain makes that last step to the ground a bit of a reach. It's as wide as the steps are and is very stable, better than a rickety little foldable step.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
afshan
Back
Top Bottom