Oh The JIngle Jangle Of Wind Chimes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had a knick-knack shelf around 3 sides of our living room. Lynn used to hang completed chimes on the edge of the shelf until she got enough to start packaging them for the shows. Having all these around the coach reminds me of those times.
They'e a PITA when moving time comes, but while I'm parked for a period of time, I'll drag them out and hang them up.

My DW hung several wind chimes of various sizes in the backyard. One by one they tied themselves in some really complex knots.

Doors closing hours on end is my pet peeve.

Shutting vehicle/camper doors seems like an odd thing to do repeatedly for an extended period of time, really?

Get all the crap out of your vehicle, and shut the door. No need to get one spoon out at a time over an hour or better, every couple hours! hahahhaah
This happened to me last fall at the Sunbelt AgExpo in Moultrie GA. The campground is rows of power poles every other parking space with 30 or 50 amp receptacles and water hydrants at each pole. Its all grass and quite flat. (Its an old Air Force Base and was closed and given to the city in the early 60's, most of the buildings were demolished and this level grass area is where there were buildings) The guy led me in a golf cart from check in to a space and next to me (on my door side) was a 28 or 30 ft older Class C with their door facing mine. On the other side of his pole was a buddy apparently, their door faced the pole between them. All of the cooking, partying, etc was taking place on the other side of this Class C and in the evening, about every 5 minutes someone would come around and go inside and slam the door, and then come out and slam the door again, run around the nose of the camper to the other side. I was close to suggesting that I would help them with turning the MH around the other direction, it would not have taken over 5 minutes or so to do it as the lanes were wide and open. There were two adults and two kids, they all apparently were raised in a barn. I tried to sit out in the evening and just enjoy the fresh air, but quickly grew tired of the wham bam and finally went on a long walk thru the campground to get away from it.

Charles

leave the wind chime inside the rv as an earthquake indicator.
Yup, they work good for that, although in the RV, even a strong gust of wind outside will give some movement.
I've actually experienced 3 earthquakes in my RV. Two of them in Bishop, CA in 2019(quake centered in Ridgecrest, I believe), and one just the other day(quake in Anza Borrego state park).

Glad to.
View attachment 151330View attachment 151331View attachment 151332

The big one with the multi-colored glass is a piece of Ponderosa pine that I picked up at our campground near the Grand Canyon, the smaller wood one with the agate slices is a root that came out of a bank on our property in Arkansas. The plates were sourced at various flea markets for under $5 apiece.
Those are gorgeous. There is no way my wife would ever put those outside. We have two hanging in our sunporch that were made by a good friend.

I have to say that there is a definite difference in the quality (and/or annoyance) of the sounds from a cheap, lightweight wind chime versus a heavy, good quality, well tuned one.

The cheapies can have some awful tones that don't harmonize well, and start going crazy with the slightest breeze. Good ones, however, can sound lovely and calming, and have enough mass to remain subtle in all but the strongest wind. There is a BIG range of quality.

We have a set in our S&B backyard that I acquired from an artisan chime maker in Arkansas almost 30 years ago. Heavy pipes, solid "clacker" on a rigid wire suspension, perfectly tuned to a very pleasant and relaxing "Oriental Pentatonic" scale. Unless the wind was just howling, I'm doubtful many would find them annoying. Heck, even then they still sound darned good.

That said, if a neighbor had a dozen dollar store ones in a windy spot, I can see them becoming grating.

I have to say that there is a definite difference in the quality (and/or annoyance) of the sounds from a cheap, lightweight wind chime versus a heavy, good quality, well tuned one.

The cheapies can have some awful tones that don't harmonize well, and start going crazy with the slightest breeze. Good ones, however, can sound lovely and calming, and have enough mass to remain subtle in all but the strongest wind. There is a BIG range of quality.

We have a set in our S&B backyard that I acquired from an artisan chime maker in Arkansas almost 30 years ago. Heavy pipes, solid "clacker" on a rigid wire suspension, perfectly tuned to a very pleasant and relaxing "Oriental Pentatonic" scale. Unless the wind was just howling, I'm doubtful many would find them annoying. Heck, even then they still sound darned good.

That said, if a neighbor had a dozen dollar store ones in a windy spot, I can see them becoming grating.

Did you get that wind chime anywhere near Eureka Springs? Here, perhaps? Looks like he finally closed it down, but it was definitly cool when it was open. One of my wife's chimes used to hang in the store(not for sale).

leave the wind chime inside the rv as an earthquake indicator.
Funny, I've been in an earthquake in the 5th wheel. I was taking a nap and I thought some clown was pushing on the kingpin to wake me up. When I got up to go yell at him I looked outside and saw the rabbit ears (CB antennas on my Freightliner) were wagging back and forth. That's when the lightbulb went off that it was the earth that was shaking not the rig.

Did you get that wind chime anywhere near Eureka Springs? Here, perhaps? Looks like he finally closed it down, but it was definitly cool when it was open. One of my wife's chimes used to hang in the store(not for sale).
Well I'll be! Yes, got it IN Eureka Springs, at that shop, circa 1990. What a great little place. Those chimes still hang in our backyard - I think this is the fifth home I've had them on, and they still sound amazing.

Thanks for reminding me what it was called. :)

Well I'll be! Yes, got it IN Eureka Springs, at that shop, circa 1990. What a great little place. Those chimes still hang in our backyard - I think this is the fifth home I've had them on, and they still sound amazing.

Thanks for reminding me what it was called. :)
Our craft fair of choice was War Eagle. Takes place spring and fall not too far from the wind chime place at War Eagle Mill. We sold there for probably 6 or 7 years. Lots of work, but a fun time.

Back
Top Bottom