Oil Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigmau

I did my own oil change on my Triton V10. Used Mobil 1 Extended Synthetic (15,000 miles) and a Fram PH2 filter. The whole thing shouldn't have taken no more than 30 minutes if it wasn't for the filter that wouldn't come lose. I put so much effort on it that I was crushing the filter. At one point I was going to just leave the old filter in place, then I sprayed some WD40 at the top and after much more fighting it came loose. Now this is the second oil change. The first one done at a Camping World in Arizona at 2800 miles. I now have 7800 miles so basically 5000 miles. What concerned me most is that the old oil was practically black and somehow a little thick. It got me to worry if CW did actually change the oil the first time. There are so much bad reviews about them. Anyway, is it normal for the oil to be that dirty after 5000 miles? I will be checking the oil often and change between 5 and 10 miles.

If those 5000 miles were all in the dusty southwest, the dirt contamination from the dusty conditions could be the source of the dark and "thick" oil.  Usually at 5000 miles I would expect to still be able to see through the oil on the dipstick, but it would appear to be opaque in the drain pan.  At least that has been my experience with Mobile One Extended. The brand of oil can also affect the appearance.  Some oils start darker than others.  I would bet Camping World changed the oil and it was their tech that over tightened or didn't lube the seal on the oil filter. 

I don?t think the oil should be black but definitely dark brown. I believe if you can change it yourself you can keep better track of what?s happening. (Save $$ too)

My total cost on this was less than $35.00 compare to $143.00 I paid CW the last time. Well worth it.

I would not be overly concerned about black oil.  What does the manual call for? synthetic? and what intervals.  Oil is cheap and a main cause of catastrophic failure if not changed as required.  Personally, I am not a fan of Fram filters.  Unless they have changed recently, they do not filter as well as say a 'Wix' filter, and they had a reputation of falling apart.  The great part, You Did It :) :) :).  Next time the filter should come off much easier.

When I worked in a garage Fram filters were good.  That was over 50 years ago.  They are no longer good.  Where other brands use metal parts Fram uses plastic and cardboard.  Their bypass valves are sub standard and their amount of filter media is inadequate.  Not a Fram fan either!

If you google ?oil filter comparisons? you?ll find hundreds of links and I?m willing to bet Fram comes out near the bottom of the list on every one.

I buy genuine Ford filters on Amazon.  I only use OEM filters on every thing I own that has a filter.  I usually buy several at a time.  They mostly cost less than the Fram.

The color of oil has nothing to do with age or mileage.  Most oil will darken with heat and use depending on the oil, and is a poor indicator of "time to change".>>>Dan

If you do not change your own oil, you have no idea what is in there.  Even my Ford dealer totally screwed up my first free oil change.  Search for testing of oil filters and you will see that Fram is junk.

Thanks for letting me know about Fram filter not being one of the best. I guess next oil change I'll stick with Motorcraft. I will probably do the next change in 5000 miles.

Bigmau said:
Thanks for letting me know about Fram filter not being one of the best. I guess next oil change I'll stick with Motorcraft. I will probably do the next change in 5000 miles.

If you decide to get rid of the fram filter you can change just the filter - if you want. You will only lose about a quart of oil.

I will do that before starting my next trip. RV in storage and don't allow any kind of work while there..

Utclmjmpr said:
The color of oil has nothing to do with age or mileage.  Most oil will darken with heat and use depending on the oil, and is a poor indicator of "time to change".>>>Dan

Exactly!

It's been a long time ago but I recall buying some expensive oil and I was surprised to see it was already black coming out of the can.  I only used it that one time because I couldn't get over that that it was black already.

Lowell said:
It's been a long time ago but I recall buying some expensive oil and I was surprised to see it was already black coming out of the can.  I only used it that one time because I couldn't get over that that it was black already.

Not too long ago A friend bought a 5qt jug of oil to find out someone used the oil and somehow put their old oil back in it without breaking the seal. When he returned it the store mgr went with him and they found 2 more like it on the shelf.

Can anyone tell me what people think about Valvoline oil. I received a Valvoline coupon over the weekend but am wondering if I should use it? Because I don't know if their oil is good or not. Everyone help me

Can anyone tell me what people think about Valvoline oil. I received a Valvoline coupon over the weekend but am wondering if I should use it? Because I don't know if their oil is good or not.

I am just a 91 y/o DIYer who has always changed his own oil. Valvoline products are excellent IMHO. A lot of "real" mechanics prefer it.....but of course there are many good brands. I use it in all my equip except my motor home. Reason? Because both the previous owners used Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filters. [A lot of seasoned "wrenchers" suggest not changing oil brands..........coupon or not :^) and I value their opinion.]

Just my $.02 of course.

I received a Valvoline coupon over the weekend but am wondering if I should use it? Because I don't know if their oil is good or not. Everyone help me
Look at the letter after the "S". The higher letters are better. Different brands mean nothing, IMO. Use whatever looks like a better deal for the type of oil recommended for your vehicle. Forget about what brand it is.

-Don- Reno, NV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom