Oil pressure gauge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I suspect that these two events are coincidental, but ....

When I checked the oil level on the coach en route to Moab, the dipstick said it was 2 quarts below full. I added oil and, after allowing all the oil to drain to the pan, I confirmed that it registered just at the 'full' mark on the dipstick. Shortly afterwards, I happened to be driving and noticed the analog oil pressure gauge pegged hard over. My first reaction was to check the oil pressure in VMSpc and it was reading in a normal range.

In the old days one could tap a misbehaving gauge and it would read normally. If not, a 2x4 could be used for increased accuracy. I haven't been inclined to take the dash apart and risk pulling off a wire or two from another gauge or switch. Is there something different about these gauges that says I should buy a new gauge instead of trying to apply forceful creative calibration?

Chances are the ECM is reading the pressure and then telling the "gauge" what to display. In other words, the thingie on the dash is just a display and not  gauge at all.  Often they aren't continuous reading either, but instead a step function, with the ECM controlling the step levels.  Tapping it won't do much of anything unless the needle is physically stuck (doubtful). I doubt if its the gauge, but it might be a wire or connection. Assuming the step levels are analog, e.g. multiple voltage levels, a short or high resistance would change the reading.

Sounds like I have to remove it anyway. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom