Oil pump repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liuhisn

Hello all! I have a question that I hope has an easy answer. I have a 1995 Dolphin RV with a f-53 super duty engine. The question is, how easy is it to change the oil pump? Does the engine have to be lifted ? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I guess the easiest way to answer you is to say crawl under and look. If you can remove the oil pan easily you can change the pump

No mater how high you lift the engine, the cross member is in the way of removing the oil pan.
You will need to slide the cross member forward, which involves removing some bolts and stuff ahead of the cross member. The cross member will not come out from between the frame rails.
I built a wooden stand to support the engine via the harmonic balancer.
Please DON'T install a high volume or high pressure oil pump. A Mellins standard pump is all you need.
The roll pin that holds the distributor gear on the distributor shaft will sheer with the HV or HP pumps.
If you don't believe me, go ask the roll pin question on this Ford forum.
Been there, done that.

Richard

Changing a oil pump is not an easy task. If the oil pump failed, there is likely other damage to the engine that will create difficulties later on. If you're wanting to replace the pump due to low oil pressure, that may not really be the problem.
At best, you must lift the engine high enough to remove the oil Pan just to get to the oil pump.
Understanding why the oil pump should be replaced is really important. They generally only fail because of other problems with the engine.

Hello all! I have a question that I hope has an easy answer. I have a 1995 Dolphin RV with a f-53 super duty engine. The question is, how easy is it to change the oil pump? Does the engine have to be lifted ? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

No mater how high you lift the engine, the cross member is in the way of removing the oil pan.
You will need to slide the cross member forward, which involves removing some bolts and stuff ahead of the cross member. The cross member will not come out from between the frame rails.
I built a wooden stand to support the engine via the harmonic balancer.
Please DON'T install a high volume or high pressure oil pump. A Mellins standard pump is all you need.
The roll pin that holds the distributor gear on the distributor shaft will sheer with the HV or HP pumps.
If you don't believe me, go ask the roll pin question on this Ford forum.
Been there, done that.

Richard
Hello and Thankyou for responding. I was thinking that the oil pump is not the problem. My thoughts are the oil pressure sending unit or a faulty relay. The oil pump diagnosis came from a friend of the family who looked into the RV not starting and came back with that after it was running. I was not present. The RV is a ‘95 Dolphin with a F-53 super duty engine with 37k miles on it. To soon for an oil pump to go out. Any thoughts?

I guess the easiest way to answer you is to say crawl under and look. If you can remove the oil pan easily you can change the pump
Hello and Thankyou for responding. I was thinking that the oil pump is not the problem. My thoughts are the oil pressure sending unit or a faulty relay. The oil pump diagnosis came from a friend of the family who looked into the RV not starting and came back with that after it was running. I was not present. The RV is a ‘95 Dolphin with a F-53 super duty engine with 37k miles on it. To soon for an oil pump to go out. Any thoughts?

Why would you want to replace the pump? If oil pressure is low there could be more serious issues.

Very rare for a Ford oil pump to fail with that few miles. The sending unit is at the very back of the engine, top, center. One wire. If you ground that wire the oil pressure gauge should go to about center.
You don't really have a oil gauge as such. The gauge goes to the same spot all the time when the sending unit clicks on. Some of us call it a idiot gauge. You may want to purchase a mechanical pressure gauge and the necessary plumbing to install it. Then you will know for sure if you have oil pressure.

Richard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom