Oil pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liuhisn

Here is an update on the oil pump issue with the RV. Yesterday, I had another mechanic come with me to the rv to give me his diagnosis. He primed the oil pump and turned it with his drill, charged the battery and realigned distributer cap and the RV started right up! The oil pressure gauge was pegged passed the L. So at this point, it could be the pump, oil pressure sensor or a faulty gauge. we replaced thee sensor with a brand new one and still got no oil pressure reading on the gauge. Oil was poured into the engine through the valve cover opening and we waited for a few minutes. The engine was started and an inspection camera was into the engine through the hose coming out of the valve cover and we both saw oil flowing. the question now is Is the oil pressure gauge faulty or the pump? I am going to replace the gauge first. It was not moving at all. Any advice would be appreciated,thanks!

I guess you are referring to your thread in the Motorhomes section:

No need for double posting.

You could get a mechanical gauge in place of the sensor. I f their is any drought about oil pressure i always check with a mechanical gauge.

Follow LML's advice and use a mechanical gauge at the sensor port to confirm oil pressure. Sounds like you have oil pressure but be sure before you go further. Since oil was being pumped through to the heads I would bet you have pressure. The problem could be the gauge or it could be wiring related. Check the wiring first. Also, it's possible to get a bad sending unit. Back probe the wiring at the sending unit to see if it's producing voltage. Good luck.

Follow LML's advice and use a mechanical gauge at the sensor port to confirm oil pressure. Sounds like you have oil pressure but be sure before you go further. Since oil was being pumped through to the heads I would bet you have pressure. The problem could be the gauge or it could be wiring related. Check the wiring first. Also, it's possible to get a bad sending unit. Back probe the wiring at the sending unit to see if it's producing voltage. Good luck.
Thanks! Will do.

You really need to consolidate all your posts into one thread via contacting a moderator/administrator.
I had to hunt for your original thread. By then I forgot what you said in this thread.

You could get a mechanical gauge in place of the sensor. I f their is any drought about oil pressure i always check with a mechanical gauge.
Hello Here is an update for the oil pump issue. I replaced the oil pressure gauge with a mechanical gauge and still did not get any pressure! I did notice a more pronounced rhythmic ticking sound coming from the engine. I immediately shut the engine off and thought about the situation. I realized that the last time I was there, the mechanic poured some oil into the valve cover through the pvc opening and had turned the oil pump drive shaft with an electric drill. This time I was by myself and did not do this. The clicking sound may be a stuck lifter. In theory, some SeaFoam in the crankcase and then turning the oil pump drive shaft with a drill help loosen any gunk buildup? Any thoughts?

Do you know which direction you need to turn the pump? Basic question but necessary to get any oil pressure. When the pump starts pumping, it will be extremely difficult to turn. I assume the oil level is up to full? If full, the pump will be immersed in the oil and not really need priming. One thing to help prime the pump is to remove the oil filter and take a oil squirt can of clean oil and pump it into the passage that is OFF CENTER, this is the oil coming from the pump. This will put oil on the output side of the pump and may help prime it.

You really need to get on a Ford 460/7.5L forum and start asking questions.

Distributor turns COUNTER-CLOCKWISE (ie. LH) You will not be able to turn a pump making pressure with a battery drill. https://www.460ford.com/threads/oil-pump-priming.143355/

Charles

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom