Okay, I'll introduce myself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CurtRR

Introduce yourself?? Are you sure you want me to do that?

With a firm belief that no one on his deathbed ever said, ?I should have worked more,? The Redhead and I have decided to pull the plug and retire as soon as possible, selling the house and moving into an RV.?

There?s a story behind this.? Until June we had no thought of retiring to an RV.? But then we went to End of Trail, the World Championship of Cowboy Action Shooting, in its new location in northern New Mexico near Albuquerque.? To avoid a 20+ mile drive every morning from a hotel we rented a travel trailer from Crooks and Thieves, Inc., to be delivered to the RV park at EOT.? They sent The Trailer From Hell.? Anything that could go wrong did go wrong.? (That could either be a post or a comedy movie in itself.)? ?Despite that fact The Redhead loved it.? We discovered several full timers among our neighbors.? One couple had been living in a 35 ft. class A with no slide outs for 9 years.? Another had a large 5th wheel toy hauler, and another had a 40 ft. 4 slide diesel pusher with the toad and reloading shop in an enclosed trailer.? These people follow the Cowboy Action Shooting circuit, hence the need for the reloading shop.? The Redhead suggested we retire and do likewise.? (Let?s see, work 10 hours a day, 6 days a week until I drop dead or travel and play cowboys.? That?s a tough one.? Let me think that one over.)

The drive home was 16 hours, and for 16 hours we talked about it.? The Redhead made a good case for it, and both of us are certainly tired of our jobs.? I?m approaching what would normally be considered retirement age in a few years.? The Redhead, however, is far, far below retirement age.? That?s not stopping her, though.? So we?ve been shopping, first at 5th wheelers, looking at toy haulers because of the need for room for a reloading shop.? But they seemed shoddy until you got to the very expensive ones, and even the best of them still put us in a pickup truck and the cats, Cokes, and ladies room in the trailer much of the time.? The dog could ride in the truck, but it didn?t match the convenience of a class A.? We decided our friend with the 40 ft. 4 slide diesel pusher was right, and we would follow his lead.? Fortunately he has adopted us and acts as a mentor.

We don?t like the idea of having to pull a trailer instead of flat towing, but we haven?t figured a way to put a 6-8 ft. workbench with 2 loading machines on it anywhere else.? If my friend hadn?t made it work I wouldn?t think it would, having told all my life that you have to flat tow or else.? The only full timer without a reloading shop visits his daughter twice a year where his reloading shop is.? We have no such relatives.

So we?re doing the things you other full-timers have done, shopping for motor homes, selling things, studying (?The Complete Idiot?s Guide to RVing? is the latest volume in a long list), reading blogs and forums, making budgets, searching for medical care, etc., etc.

Well, at least half of the medical care should be taken care of.? I had avoided the VA medical system for years simply because I could.? But I had spent a significant portion of my life as a target (whatever time you spend getting shot at is significant).? When I talked to the service officer at the Military Order of the Purple Heart, he stated I should be able to get medical care as a class 3 (Purple Heart).? When he saw my DD214 he started filling out disability papers without my asking.? Again, I?d avoided that simply because I could.? But that moves me to Class 2.? (Trust me, you don?t want to be Class 1 in the VA System.? For that matter, you don?t want to be Class 2 or 3.? The initiation is a bear.)

So now it?s less critical things: what internet stuff?? Broadband card or satellite internet?? We?ll need fairly fast, daily internet service.? We?ll be retired, but not THAT retired.

We?re slowly finding answers (65 ft. total combined length is maximum in Texas, where the motor home will be licensed).? I know about Montana LLCs and South Dakota address, but I was born a Texan and don?t intend to change state of residency just to save a huge sales tax bill.? (But it?s tempting).? I've seen what Texas does to people who live in Texas but license vehicles in another state to avoid Texas sales tax.? It isn't pretty.? I keep telling myself a couple of years without the usurious property tax bills on our dream house will make up for it.

Anyway, I?ll be haunting this and other forums in my search for answers, inspiration, kindred spirits, and advice.? Apologies for the long, rambling post.

Welcome CurtRR to the best forum on the net ! Sounds like you have a plan in place, have you thought about a class A with a garage built in ? I know Newmar has a mid engine diesel toyhauler ! That way you can drag your "toad" 4 down, and still have the reloading shop on board the coach ?

Welcome to the RV Forum and thank for introducing yourself. Sounds like you didn't get the best rig from the rental company  for your first time. Hopefully things will be better in the future. Please join in on any of the ongoing diacussions, start new discussions, and ask any questions you have relation to RV/s.  Thanks for joining us.

I had avoided the VA medical system for years simply because I could.  But I had spent a significant portion of my life as a target (whatever time you spend getting shot at is significant).  When I talked to the service officer at the Military Order of the Purple Heart, he stated I should be able to get medical care as a class 3 (Purple Heart).  When he saw my DD214 he started filling out disability papers without my asking.  Again, I?d avoided that simply because I could.  But that moves me to Class 2.  (Trust me, you don?t want to be Class 1 in the VA System.  For that matter, you don?t want to be Class 2 or 3.  The initiation is a bear.)
Not to get off topic, but I haven't a clue why you're so down on the VA. Been there; done it; perfectly satisfied. Better than anything I could have expected from civie care. What's your gripe?

But that moves me to Class 2.  (Trust me, you don?t want to be Class 1 in the VA System.  For that matter, you don?t want to be Class 2 or 3.  The initiation is a bear.)
Huh? Haven't a clue what you're refering to... Read my comment above.

Kenneth said:
Welcome CurtRR to the best forum on the net ! Sounds like you have a plan in place, have you thought about a class A with a garage built in ? I know Newmar has a mid engine diesel toyhauler ! That way you can drag your "toad" 4 down, and still have the reloading shop on board the coach ?

Thanks for the suggestion.? We looked at the Newmar All-Star early on.? It is quite tempting, and we considered it in some detail.? However, due to the 10' 'Shop' in the back, what is left is a 30' coach.? It has no wardrobe, and putting in a washer/dryer takes up one shirt wardrobe.? Cowboy Action Shooters wear cowboy clothes and thus need a place for them, in my case at least a 3' wide wardrobe.? We'll be living in it full time, probably after my health goes to the point I can no longer shoot.? Then we'll be in a 30' 2 slide coach the size of a 40' coach.

We do like the All-Star, and it's still a possibility.

[quote author=Karl] Not to get off topic, but I haven't a clue why you're so down on the VA. Been there; done it; perfectly satisfied. Better than anything I could have expected from civie care. What's your gripe?
[/quote]

I'm not down on the VA, Karl.? I'm sorry it came off that way.? I avoided the VA system because I had good healthcare and I wanted to leave room for someone who didn't.? I just didn't want to cut in line in front of men who had no place else to go.? The same applies for applying for disability status.? Several friends on disability had been encouraging me to apply for several years, but as I'm ambulatory and have all appendages I never would have without the MOPH service officer's prompting.? But at this point the VA has apparently decided that anyone who was in extensive combat will suffer from PTSD to some extent.? (When I came home the term PTSD had not become public knowledge, and we were expected to forget about combat and move on.? Later the term PTSD was connected to the sort of "crazed Vietnam Vets" who appeared on 60 Minutes describing fictional atrocities.? Of course, all of the "crazed Vietnam Vets" who appeared on 60 Minutes turned out to be phonies, but the stigma remained, and a lot of combat vets went on with their lives and just didn't mention what was in the dreams waking them up to their families.? After all, everyone has nightmares.)?

Additionally the ear traumas of a lot of gunfire and explosions catch up, and I've had tinnitus for some time and some loss of hearing.? One eardrum had been ruptured when a tank fired next to me.? Tinnitus counts apparently.? I'm also getting symptoms that, unknown to me, they attribute to exposure to Agent Orange.? Since they also occur? naturally, I never attributed them to Agent Orange.?

Experiences with older groups of veterans, especially the POWs of the Japanese has shown that a lot of men can come home, go to work for 40 years, and then their traumatic experiences catch up with them when they retire, and they suffer from PTSD.? I suppose I should be spreading word about this to other combat vets who don't know.? I've already convinced 2 veteran friends to apply, both with extensive combat histories.? There are men receiving disability from PTSD who never served in combat, so I no longer feel guilty about applying.

Referring to class 1, 2, and 3, Class 1 is former POWs.? Class 2 is people with Service Connected Disabilities, and Class 3 is Purple Heart recipients.? I believe my comments about the initiation make sense if you know that.? This wasn't a gripe about the VA system, but a fairly accurate comment about what it takes to get to join one of those clubs.? I should have explained what the classes were.

We can return to the original topic now.? :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom