Okay You Electric Car Guys...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Without discussing politics, I may not be around in 2050 but we are already seeing the effects. A change to total electric is good but only if done in a realistic way and as technology allows. Not good when thrown against the wall to see if it sticks. The facts are the Keystone pipeline was shut down and drilling on federal lands and the gulf were shut down in the same executive order. Now that the price of gas has skyrocketed 80 million acres of the Gulf of Mexico went up for lease to oil and gas drilling companies. It may not be for the good of the country but maybe people who use heating oil won't freeze this winter. Europe is in a pickle because they don't have fossil resources like the US and Canada.

Even if that was more factually correct, like if it had actually affected fuel prices, isn't that one of the greatest arguments for getting people further and further away from "big oil"?

I'm really tired of fossil fuel prices going up every time a politician sneezes.

Even if that was more factually correct, like if it had actually affected fuel prices, isn't that one of the greatest arguments for getting people further and further away from "big oil"?

I'm really tired of fossil fuel prices going up every time a politician sneezes.
Definitely more stable “fueling electric. 6 years ago it was roughly 8 bucks to “fill” an EV like ours. It still is.

Slight correction:

By 2040 all "light-duty cars and trucks" will be electric or hydrogen.

The definition of Light Duty is a vehicle with a GVWR of under 8500 pounds.

This will not include delivery trucks, transport trucks, tractors, farm equipment, construction equipment, motorcycles, buses, or anything RV.

The idea that in ten or twenty years we'll be off fossil fuel is laughable, mankind is far too greedy and self centered to give up wealth and quality of life to protect the earth or the next generation.

I had this discussion with a friend that is very pro environment and he told me that if we get all the passenger cars off gas that'll be enough to make a big difference and there may not be any willpower on the part of the politicians to go after the trucking/transport industry. That industry is highly organized, with money and an ability to lobby so it's a very tough target compared to the unorganized mass of commuters and passenger car drivers.

Slight correction:

The definition of Light Duty is a vehicle with a GVWR of under 8500 pounds.

This will not include delivery trucks, transport trucks, tractors, farm equipment, construction equipment, motorcycles, buses, or anything RV.

The idea that in ten or twenty years we'll be off fossil fuel is laughable, mankind is far too greedy and self centered to give up wealth and quality of life to protect the earth or the next generation.

I had this discussion with a friend that is very pro environment and he told me that if we get all the passenger cars off gas that'll be enough to make a big difference and there may not be any willpower on the part of the politicians to go after the trucking/transport industry. That industry is highly organized, with money and an ability to lobby so it's a very tough target compared to the unorganized mass of commuters and passenger car drivers.
I haven’t seen the wording for our provincial law but somebody mentioned it is similar to that. Light vehicles etc. I don’t think they’ll be looking at things like one tons or dually diesels first awhile yet. Diesels 1 tons do some things pretty good. I don’t think anyone even has something like them on the drawing board yet. Dodge doesn’t even have an electric prototype half ton yet although I saw a blurb about a concept 1/2 ton from them a couple months ago.

There will still be companies making gassers. Toyota is firmly against electrification and is forming a coalition with Mazda to extend internal combustion engine life. They won’t be legal for sale in much of the first world but they’ll find a market.

What will the fossil fuel industry look like with millions fewer vehicles to supply? There's more to it than converting crude oil to gasoline. Not that it won't adapt to continue supplying fuel oil, diesel, jet A, natural gas in required proportions but some of the economy of scale will be reduced with the shift in production. So while the net use of gasoline is reduced the cost of everything else will necessarily go up, so there's no magic bullet there.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Well after seeking out a new truck and giving the hybrid Powerboost Ford truck a look for a while and after watching a lot of videos and reviews, a lot of mixed ones too with some really negative reviews, I was able to test drive one today, a reported right out of the plant a few weeks ago and ended up buying it. Of course I had been driving a hybrid sedan with simular features.

So I knew a lot of what to expect when driving a hybrid mainly in the eco mode. But with the hp of the eco boost engine mixed with the electric motor, the stop and start is a bit harder but not something that was a game changer for buying.

I certainly don't have to seek out a plug in for making it to my next town when traveling across the country. After driving it 176 miles, my fuel average in town was around 25 and on the highway we got 26 to 27 mpg at speeds between 55 to 65 mph. The epa rating shows 24. This is money in the bank for me by half more than my older one. In town it surely will surpass my last one.

The truck has a rating of more than I would ever consider towing. I have always thought that Ford has always overrated their 1/2 trucks by real life experiences anyway. So if this truck does everything that my last one does when towing my next camper, I will use it more than my sedan. Its easier to get into than the lower sedan.

Well after seeking out a new truck and giving the hybrid Powerboost Ford truck a look for a while and after watching a lot of videos and reviews, a lot of mixed ones too with some really negative reviews, I was able to test drive one today, a reported right out of the plant a few weeks ago and ended up buying it. Of course I had been driving a hybrid sedan with simular features.

So I knew a lot of what to expect when driving a hybrid mainly in the eco mode. But with the hp of the eco boost engine mixed with the electric motor, the stop and start is a bit harder but not something that was a game changer for buying.

I certainly don't have to seek out a plug in for making it to my next town when traveling across the country. After driving it 176 miles, my fuel average in town was around 25 and on the highway we got 26 to 27 mpg at speeds between 55 to 65 mph. The epa rating shows 24. This is money in the bank for me by half more than my older one. In town it surely will surpass my last one.

The truck has a rating of more than I would ever consider towing. I have always thought that Ford has always overrated their 1/2 trucks by real life experiences anyway. So if this truck does everything that my last one does when towing my next camper, I will use it more than my sedan. Its easier to get into than the lower sedan.
Congrats. Quite literally my favourite production truck on the market. Did you get the built in 7.2 kw inverter thingy?

We did not get the high end trim truck, which most come with the 7.2. But we got the 2.4kw, which is fine for what we normally do. The truck is as close to an autonomous driving vehicle that I want to own. The next step for the higher end is the Blue Cruise. But I have read that there are some hickups with the updates, which are slow coming from Ford.

We did not get the high end trim truck, which most come with the 7.2. But we got the 2.4kw, which is fine for what we normally do. The truck is as close to an autonomous driving vehicle that I want to own. The next step for the higher end is the Blue Cruise. But I have read that there are some hickups with the updates, which are slow coming from Ford.
2.4 kw is more than adequate for most camping. Dry camping becomes a lot easier. Run down the battery on the trailer and just hook up to the truck. An hour or two charge probably wouldn’t kick on the eco boost engine. And even if it does, an idling eco boost is quieter than my propane 2KW genny.

Would be interested in your observations as far as the camping aspect goes.

These are the sources of greenhouse gases.

Since the entire transport sector accounts for 21% of total emissions, and road transport accounts for three-quarters of transport emissions, road transport accounts for 15% of total CO2 emissions (minus planes and ships). So while EV cars and light and heavy trucks will help if charged by solar or wind in the overall scheme they are only 15% of the problem. Even cows pollute the air.

IEA-Transport-to-2070-800x505.png

The question I have that cannot be answered is.... where is all this electricity going to come from? Heck California can't even supply reliable electricity to its existing households without brown outs. Most electricity is produced by coal and natural gas. Shut that off and there will be more outages for longer periods of time. So, again where is this "power" going to come from?

Fairy Dust and Unicorn Feces! memtb

Heck California can't even supply reliable electricity to its existing households without brown outs.
How much use is at midnight, perhaps when most start their EV charge once a week or so to go their 30 miles per day average?

It's a myth that we need more than we already have for a country full of EVs.

See here and here.

-Don- Ocala North RV Resort, FL

I have a typical commute. I charge at 2 AM. Usually done by 3 AM. Lots of surplus power after 11 AM You can see the charger come on at 2 AM

Attachments

• 7CEEBD9F-1A6D-4221-98B2-EBF48E8481C4.jpeg
    7CEEBD9F-1A6D-4221-98B2-EBF48E8481C4.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
I have a typical commute on days I work. Timer set for two AM. Usually fine by three. Lots of surplus power after about 11 PM.
I think the overload myth is the most common EV myth I hear, and there sure are a lot of such EV myths.

I have my Tesla set to charge at 0045 hrs when I do have it plugged in. It's plugged in now so it will charge as needed while I am away, but only at that time.

The Bolt doesn't seem to have any drain at all when not plugged in, unlike Tesla. So my Chevy Bolt is not plugged in at all.

I think the overload myth is the most common EV myth I hear, and there sure are a lot of such EV myths.

I have my Tesla set to charge at 0045 hrs when I do have it plugged in. It's plugged in now so it will charge as needed while I am away, but only at that time.

The Bolt doesn't seem to have any drain at all when not plugged in, unlike Tesla. So my Chevy Bolt is not plugged in at all.

Our leaf was like that as well. It could be off for weeks with no vampire drain.

Teslas just have so much going on, security, ventilation, stirring the coolant etc. One way to kill the vampire drain is to go into the menu and hit power down. Pretty much no drain then. Or so I’m told. I have had it off overnight just for giggles. Not sure what Tesla thinks of that.

That connector that is under the passenger seat-- are you familiar with that? I think it is even more so of a power down.

Kind of. It’s what they use to power down for maintenance etc. Never had cause to use it.

If you turn off environmental and sentry mode the vampire drain drops to about 1 percent every couple days. But like you, if we go away, we just leave it plugged in. Easy peasy.

Back
Top Bottom