Okay You Electric Car Guys...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love it. Especially the whitewall tires.
I've been an old truck/Jeep guy since I got out of the AF in '75. I've had more old trucks than Don has motorcycles. I always stayed out of the electric vehicle discussions because they just didn't interest me.
I actually just saw this truck on an episode of Bitchin' Rides and it interested me enough to look it up. If I still had my own hot rod shop, I'd be looking into this. GM even has a "crate" electric power plant now that is designed to replace the ever-present SBC/T400 combo you see in 75% of the old trucks.

The question I have that cannot be answered is.... where is all this electricity going to come from? Heck California can't even supply reliable electricity to its existing households without brown outs. Most electricity is produced by coal and natural gas. Shut that off and there will be more outages for longer periods of time. So, again where is this "power" going to come from?

Last edited by a moderator:
The question I have that cannot be answered is.... where is all this electricity going to come from? Heck California can't even supply reliable electricity to its existing households without brown outs. Most electricity is produced by coal and natural gas. Shut that off and there will be more outages for longer periods of time. So, again where is this "power" going to come from?
Why do you care? The power will come from the sun. So again, the power will come from the sun, the source of all power.

You are wasting your time typing such logic. You will not get a direct answer. You cannot question or rehab IPhoneholics and EVholics . I normally get posts removed here in the past when addressing the collective groups of group think when questioning and providing the numerous downsides that exists traveling the U.S. and Canada outside of the packed filing cabinet cities.

There are some pluses but the two countries have a diverse terrain when traveling in particular that restricts recharges with targeted population areas that possibly benefits from EVs as long as you have big pocket books too for the initial purchase. You will get the usual double team of insults in a bit.

I’d like to see the finished project. But kinda cool.

Projects like this are why it’s getting next to impossible to find batteries from wrecked Teslas on EBay. There is a whole new generation of gear heads coming out of the woodwork. :).

I don’t live where you live so don’t know, but is somebody shutting off natural gas?

I don’t live where you live so don’t know, but is somebody shutting off natural gas?
So, EV owners feel like they are saving the world even if their car is being charged by burning fossil fuels.

So, EV owners feel like they are saving the world even if their car is being charged by burning fossil fuels.
No idea. I don’t know any EV drivers who feel like they are saving the world. :). Might be a local thing.

I don’t know much about it but I have read that natural gas is a pretty good way to produce power. I know I have read about coal plants being converted to natural gas plants. Must be something to it. Really no idea.

We owned a hybrid at one time. Great little car. We may purchase a Tesla or similar in the near future. Our current vehicle is a 2015 Nissan Quest with over 100,000 miles. It’s pretty beat up but still runs good. We don’t have a “save the world” attitude. We just think these vehicles are the future. Donn, TheBar and Jayflight, your opinion when it comes to EV’s mean nothing to me. i don’t offer opinions on what it’s like to own a MH because I have never owned one. I defer to the EV owners for personal experiences whether they are good or bad. As for where the power for the charging systems will come from, I don’t know. But somebody will come up with a plan. Once we stop letting billionaires and large companies get away with not paying taxes that money can go towards infrastructure. As I said before, cut the military budget in half. That’s a start.

I'll bet nuclear comes back in a big way in less than 50 years.

Or possibly something we haven't even really thought of yet. In the 60's, did you ever think you'd hold a device in your hand that had more computing power than NASA's most technologically advanced spacecraft?

Again, the fact that the grid needs improvement now isn't a reason EV's shouldn't be the future.

I'll bet nuclear comes back in a big way in less than 50 years.

Or possibly something we haven't even really thought of yet. In the 60's, did you ever think you'd hold a device in your hand that had more computing power than NASA's most technologically advanced spacecraft?

Again, the fact that the grid needs improvement now isn't a reason EV's shouldn't be the future.
And different areas will have different solutions. There are some pretty big hydro projects coming on line in Canada in the next decade. As well , in our area home solar is getting pretty common. It’s a multi point solution.

Natural gas has a role to play as does wind and solar.

So does more efficient technology. Better lighting, more efficient heating. We just replaced our natural gas furnace with a super high efficiency unit. Bills are at least 25 percent cheaper than last year. The appliances needed upgrading as well. Our average daily power consumption has dropped to 17 kWh including charging the car. Probably 5 kw lower than 6 years ago. July and August are more with air conditioning which is still our biggest power draw. The house total in summer is closer 30 kWh per day in summer.

No idea. I don’t know any EV drivers who feel like they are saving the world. :). Might be a local thing.

I don’t know much about it but I have read that natural gas is a pretty good way to produce power. I know I have read about coal plants being converted to natural gas plants. Must be something to it. Really no idea.
And natural gas comes from where and is transported how? The very same place that any and all fossil fuels comes from and transported to their distribution points for the consumer.

And it means nothing to just about everyone.
I am so tramatized. :cry:

Jayflight, Old_Crow is not speculating, he has traveled to the future and seen Utopia.
Yeah, and I should have been able to see what would happen to this thread.
I'm not taking sides, I just saw a cool old truck that someone dragged into the 21st century and it appealed to me in a way that factory new EV's do not(they're the same as all the new cars...they all look alike to me).
When I saw Dave Kindig get in this ratty looking old truck with 400 hp and over 800 ft/lb of torque and horse it around the autocross course with manual truck steering and manual drum brakes, I started getting homesick for my old shop truck. Every time he got to a straight part of the course, he'd tap the trottle and break the back tires loose.

And natural gas comes from where and is transported how? The very same place that any and all fossil fuels comes from and transported to their distribution points for the consumer.

I am so tramatized. :cry:
Natural gas comes from Alberta, produced by the petrochemical industry, and arrives at my house via a pipeline. Works well. Not sure what you are asking.

That is a good question. however that is part of the current adminstration "Build Back Better" plan, improvements to the power grid... WILL it be enough? Very good question.
I suspect back up generators are going to be very hard to buy in CA just now as the Governor has signed into law a NO MORE Internal Combustion Generators law (to be sold after a specified date) So the citizens will be climbing over each other to get back up power in place before the ban.

But that ...... Is a guess.... Even if I am ultimately FROM California (Ok so that was a LOOOOOONG time ago but hey That's where I was born).

Just FYI- food for thought...

Back
Top Bottom