old backup camera system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhoog

My coach has the old original backup camera and monitor that don't even work, (they don't provide picture anymore).  Was looking to replace it with something a little more modern.  what have you all done to upgrade the old black and white?  Assuming since all the cabling is there I just need to find something I can just plug and play with what is there for wiring?

I can't remember the brand of backup camera that I now have upgraded to but it is a wired single camera system. I had the same thought about using the existing wiring but the connections were different and I chose to just rewire. It wasn't hard just time consuming running the wire, I chose to go under the rig to the back camera location. I had to make some cuts to the existing mounting area in my rig to get the screen in the same place as the old TV monitor, it sticks out a bit further then the old rececessed monitor but the new monitors are usually thin flat screens.

I installed a new system on our old 98 31 footer. The seller said a wireless system might be fuzzy on that long of vehicle. So, I went wired and it had a beautiful picture. Here is one on Amazon, you can go budget friendly or high dollar.

https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Waterproof-Monitor-Trailer-Campers/dp/B072M58X9N/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1532371372&sr=1-7&keywords=rv+backup+camera+system

99dart said:
I installed a new system on our old 98 31 footer. The seller said a wireless system might be fuzzy on that long of vehicle. So, I went wired and it had a beautiful picture. Here is one on Amazon, you can go budget friendly or high dollar.

https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Waterproof-Monitor-Trailer-Campers/dp/B072M58X9N/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1532371372&sr=1-7&keywords=rv+backup+camera+system

Perfect.  Budget friendly is all I need. Just something I can see back there.  Be nice to see my trailer and behind me again when driving down the highway.

One thing to keep in mind about backup cameras is the quality of the image and the displays keep getting better every year, so the picture you get from a new low end system is likely to be better than it was from a top of the line system just 5 years ago.

Isaac-1 said:
One thing to keep in mind about backup cameras is the quality of the image and the displays keep getting better every year, so the picture you get from a new low end system is likely to be better than it was from a top of the line system just 5 years ago.

That is what imagine as well. Considering my existing one is original from 1995 I am sure a low budget one from 2018 will be a pretty substantial upgrade.

One thing to be warned about on some of the newer systems, particularly the very lower end, or those that came out a few years ago is image lag.  Being digital there are lots of things to delay the signal, a quarter to half second signal delay can be a big deal while backing into a space.  This is one place where analog was better, though the newer digital systems with faster processing tend to reduce this issue considerably.

jhoog said:
Perfect.  Budget friendly is all I need. Just something I can see back there.  Be nice to see my trailer and behind me again when driving down the highway.

I don't know anything about your physical condition, but installation was fairly easy. My old wiring ran outside the coach until entering the cab. I just followed the path that the old cable ran. I was able to "inch worm"/slide along under the coach routing & zip-tying the new cable as I removed the old cable. It then entered our class C through the dog house and under the dash. I was amazed at the picture compared to our old black-n-white.

We had an aftermarket radio in ours, so I swapped it out with a used in dash TV with a defective cd player for $22 on ebay and picked up a cheap camera and a 50 foot RCA cable on amazon for another $20. I use the heck out of the AUX connection on the radio since CDs are nearly obsolete and radio reception is terrible.

I have since realized how difficult it is to back a trailer in a MH, so I will be adding a 2nd camera on top, pointing down, so I can see when I get too sharp with the trailer.

Back
Top Bottom