old or too old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fpaplnj

Does anyone own a Winnebago ERA 70 A prior to 2020? If so, what can you tell me about those units' reliability, technology and the Chassie that may compare to the 2020 units and up.

I'm curious about the title - are you asking if a pre-2020 is too old?. The thought wouldn't even occur to me until is was at least 10 years old, and even then I'd be more concerned with condition than age. Think of it as you would a house and focus on the condition and state of maintenance, not the year it was built. Sure, as it gets older you should probably pay more & more attention to the condition of appliances, belts & hoses, etc. but a 13 yo (2009) in decent condition is still a worthy RV if it meets your needs otherwise.

I'm curious about the title - are you asking if a pre-2020 is too old?. The thought wouldn't even occur to me until is was at least 10 years old, and even then I'd be more concerned with condition than age. Think of it as you would a house and focus on the condition and state of maintenance, not the year it was built. Sure, as it gets older you should probably pay more & more attention to the condition of appliances, belts & hoses, etc. but a 13 yo (2009) in decent condition is still a worthy RV if it meets your needs otherwise.
Again, thank you for response. I understand what you are saying. I really appreciate for your prompt response. I agree. I wanted to confirm my findings. I plan to have an RV inspection who is qualified to check the total unit that I am going to consider. I have been RVing for about 15 years, so I am familiar with the basics. The one thing I am learning about is solar power, and its capacity for use. I heading to Florida for the show, so I feel I should get a better understanding on these campervans.

Basically you are asking about the difference/reliability of a Mercedes (or Dodge or Freightliner) Sprinter NCV3 (2007-2018) vs a Mercedes or Freightliner Sprinter VS30 (2019 & up) because as far as the Winnebago end of it goes, well, its a Winnebago...... (and not saying that in a bad way either)

You might want to join or at least visit the Sprinter Forums to read up on the various models. I do know that engines and transmissions have/are changing with the Sprinter (3.0L V6 going away and being replaced by a 2.0L I4 that produces the same power supposedly), and that the collection of computers that have been used in previous models (Security, Engine, Transmission and a couple more) have all been combined together into one unit......... plus I seem to recall reading the radio was also included in the computer......... Too much stuff in one box.

Here is a pretty good article on the 2013 ERA. Apparently the ERA was introduced in 2009 and none were produced in 2011 and then production resumed in 2012. In any case, what you will see with new ones is the use of different systems such as the multiplex wiring (which I despise) which puts a digital buss running throughout the camper controlling the lights from a control panel, and the Truma Combi® Eco Plus heating system in place of a traditional furnace, Instant water heating, etc. It becomes a personal preference thing, I am not one to embrace change, unless it is good. Its a decision you have to make.

Charles

Last edited:
Basically you are asking about the difference/reliability of a Mercedes (or Dodge or Freightliner) Sprinter NCV3 (2007-2018) vs a Mercedes or Freightliner Sprinter VS30 (2019 & up) because as far as the Winnebago end of it goes, well, its a Winnebago...... (and not saying that in a bad way either)

You might want to join or at least visit the Sprinter Forums to read up on the various models. I do know that engines and transmissions have/are changing with the Sprinter (3.0L V6 going away and being replaced by a 2.0L I4 that produces the same power supposedly), and that the collection of computers that have been used in previous models (Security, Engine, Transmission and a couple more) have all been combined together into one unit......... plus I seem to recall reading the radio was also included in the computer......... Too much stuff in one box.

Here is a pretty good article on the 2013 ERA. Apparently the ERA was introduced in 2009 and none were produced in 2011 and then production resumed in 2012. In any case, what you will see with new ones is the use of different systems such as the multiplex wiring (which I despise) which puts a digital buss running throughout the camper controlling the lights from a control panel, and the Truma Combi® Eco Plus heating system in place of a traditional furnace, Instant water heating, etc. It becomes a personal preference thing, I am not one to embrace change, unless it is good. Its a decision you have to make.

Charles
Thank you, Charles you hit the nail on the head. Too much technology can be to many problems. What have you heard or experienced about multi plex wiring.
Sometimes if it is not broken why fix it. It seems to me that other manufactures are moving towards this multiplex wiring. I have read up on solar power as well, and I think I would like to equip my unit with some solar to sustain minor boondocking. I did not have good experience with my the on-demand water system. Regulating was a pain in the _ _ _ however. I did get some good feedback on solving that problem. It does not bother me if I have to monitor the systems myself. There is a difference between luxury and practicality. Still figuring out what are my needs and what are my wants are.

Buy something tolerable and go camping. Fretting over too much technology won't get you there. If it makes you nervous, find something on a Ford chassis. There are some good Class B models on the Ford Transit chassis, and they are gasoline so cheaper to operate.

Using a digital bus to control lighting is rather extreme if you ask me. You have to send power to the fixture anyhow, and now the fixture has to have a chip in it so it can receive the signal and switch on the light, its the typical engineers dream.

Every time I read about the instant water heaters in RV's, the vast majority of people that contribute to the thread have disparaging things to say. a few even having gone so far as to revert to a tank model. I had a friend who had a Winnebago trailer, first year WBO was in the trailer business. His trailer was the only model, the only color, they offered in 2015, and it had a instant water heater. They basically gave up on showers in it. He sold it and now has a regular tank type WH and a nice large shower. (and I am envious of anyone with large water and waste tanks!!!!!!)

I had a Winnebago View on a Dodge Sprinter chassis, the early T1N chassis with the 5 cylinder diesel. For the later models, it costs hundreds to make new keys (or spare keys) but this one used a regular key with a chip embedded in it (and not related to the door unlock fob). I found I could buy a new China made blank key (no fob) with a chip embedded in the head of it on Ebay for $15, and darn near any locksmith has the equipment to clone the code(and cut it) and make a identical twin (electronically). I had a couple of locksmiths refuse, saying it would not copy, but I already knew from reading the Sprinter Forum that it would clone. I found a locksmith, he said "ten bucks and it aint my fault if it don't work". I carried the new key out and tried it, worked fine. I hid keys INSIDE the coach and for the outside found that a 1970's Benz key fit, just needed to be cut and have a little of the tip cut away (they locate on the shoulder). So I kept a brass key outside that would unlock the doors, but could not start it, and the good spares stored inside. You cannot do that starting with the 2007 chassis (mine was an '06 chassis).

For 2003-2006 Dodge Mercedes Sprinter Key Blank with T5 Transponder Chip Inside | eBay

A Sprinter is like an old British sports car, you gotta learn all the quirks and traits and do's and don'ts of them or you will not be successful. You need to learn the MB fluid and lubricants approval system (Bevo) and how to locate the specs and approved products that meet the spec. (in the Benz world, a product manufacturer cannot use the word "approved" in reference to MB spec numbers unless mother Benz had tested said product and added it to their list for that specification. or example, the spec for brake fluid for ANY MB car or truck is 331.0, and it is commonly referred to as DOT4+. NO ONE in the WORLD makes a MB approved spec 331.0 fluid, except mother Benz themselves. Most other fluids, there are numerous other manufacturers' approved fluids, you can use.

Mercedes-Benz Betriebsstoff-Vorschriften A Sprinter is in the Car category, not the Truck category (which is MB heavy trucks)

Don't get me wrong, I actually liked the motor home, but it just didn't work for me. If I were to trip over a 2007 523B, the bunk bed model, I'd have to think real hard about it, no slide, bunk beds across the very back wall, bath and kitchen forward. For me, the ideal model.

I HIGHLY suggest that if you are serious about a Sprinter of any sort, spend HOURS on the Sprinter forum learning the quirks of the version you are interested in.

Charles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom