Older Fleetwoods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shayne said:
  Think I'm wrong?  Go to a test sometime and check it out.  Been there  done that.  It's happened for years.  It's writer version and he can set it any way he desires. 

Shayne,

No, I know you're right! :)

Ron said:
IMHO I do not believe the information provided can be considered as good guidelines.  From what I understand the RV Consumers Group does not do any real tests or even on site inspection of any of the coaches they evaluate.  How can a valid evaluation be made without testing and inspection.  Sorry I am not impressed with the RV Consumer Group information.  This is just my opinion an others may have different views.
I appreciate your response. I guess I'll just have to ask here who finds which MHs to be "best." (Kind of subjective in some areas, I guess.) I'll come up with a message -- but not today. Company coming!

Judy,

Just keep in mind there are lemons in any brand/model out there. The amount of problems and how they are handled is the key. Yes, it's a very subjective topic but, hopefully, by asking a lot of questions you will be able to narrow it down to a few choices that seem right for you. "You" are the one that must be happy with the final decision no matter what rig you get.

Jim Dick said:
Judy,

Just keep in mind there are lemons in any brand/model out there. The amount of problems and how they are handled is the key. Yes, it's a very subjective topic but, hopefully, by asking a lot of questions you will be able to narrow it down to a few choices that seem right for you. "You" are the one that must be happy with the final decision no matter what rig you get.
All true statements.  :)

So far the Born Free and Bigfoot fit the bill -- but if there's something less expensive, that would be wonderful!

The main issues are that we want a Class C withOUT a large "cabover" extension (So, unfortunately, the Lazy Daze won't work for us) ; a queen bed with two night stands; and a dinette PLUS a sofa on the opposite sides. Slides are not essential.

Jim, it's odd that you would bring up the lemon awareness.  Years ago,  We had a guy dealing dealers all over our area about cars.  All of the dealers and salesman decide that we were the largest dealer and should handle him.  So we laid a trap.  One Dealer traded in a unit that dealt the 1st and 2nd owners a fit.  Nothing was right about this unit.  So the guy was telling about the nice used car on another lot.  I told him I just bought it, excused myself and called the dealer and sent one of our salesman over to pick it up.  We stuck this guy with it and sent him down the road with AS IS Special price, unserviced, unchecked to his understanding.  What a turn of events.  the guy drove the car for years, bragged about it, brought us customers and harrassed the other dealer for not selling it to him.  It all backfired on all of us.  So what is a lemon for one, may not be a lemon for the next.  I've come to believe that Vehicles are the same as people, they have an attitude and temperment of their own.  You just have to find the right combo.  You never hear about the deals of this nature but always the ugly ones.  Same as people,  Seldom hear much of the people that are  happy and stay together, but sure hear a lot about the people that can't get along, especially in the news .  Just an acccounting from my point of view.

our last rig was a 91 flair 26' and aside from the usual appliance replacement and such, we loved the unit.We had a motorcycle rack built and traveled cross country twice.We upgraded to our discovery diesel recently to gain a walkaround bed and a w/d but had no complaints about our Flair.

chaajoad said:
Scotty - as mentioned here earlier, you really might want to think about Arizona as a place to get a MH when the time is right. I came across a few dealers (and private sellers) online - the deals seemed greatand the coaches looked excellent. Yes, older owners selling well-cared-for rigs would make sense in AZ and the dry weather has to be help keep the rigs in good condition.

Yeah I've seen AZ mentioned several times, along with FL and CA.  Something about nice weather & lots of retired folks make for quite a selection of RVs!  Unfortunately I'm located so far away from all those areas (central IL) that it wouldn't be at all practical to travel for around a $10k purchase (and hopefully less)... unless I could be *certain* that there would be no lemon on the other end of my journey, and of course there's no such guarantee.  ;)

I did have someone who said they would be willing to drive halfway from FL and meet me, if I paid their full asking price for an El Dorado Class C I was looking at a few months ago.  That's a good start, but I just wasn't attached enough to that particular rig.

Scotty If you want I'll check out this one here in Sun City.  Looks extra nice.  All I can do is tell you what I see and I won't even look at it if it's not up to my standards    But will be We before I can get there.

Hey I'll never turn down an offer like that from an experienced RV'er like yourself.  ;)  Problem may be that you and I are in waaaay different leagues when it comes to RV's, what's cheap for you is probably overpriced for me in many cases.  But a drive-by or second glance at something that looks promising is much appreciated.  :)

Shayne,

Unfortunately this world revolves around bad news. If anything good happens you might find it on the back of the sports page, if you're lucky. :(

As I said there are lemons in almost every catagory of RV's. Fortunately I think they are in the minority but it only takes one to spread the bad press throughtout the RV world. Then there are those that are mostly lemons but, hopefully, someone will know that and be able to warn all of our members before it's too late. Again, fortunately, they are in the minority.

Jim Dick said:
Judy,

As far as I know Born Free has always had a good reputation.
It seems to have an excellent reputation! Of course, you pay for that.  :( There are a few issues with the Born Free that I have to check on based on conversations on a Born Free forum.

I guess the Bigfoot also has a good reputation. That has slideouts -- I suppose we could deal with those if necessary.  :)

We have lots of thinking to do. It would be a lot easier if these manufacturers had dealers in our area.

Thanks for your input!

Scottydl  Got an opportunity to be in the area this noon time and checked out this unit.  I would pass on it and not even consider it.  92 Fleetwood  37'  Original tires  14yrs old.  25000 miles  decals all peeling ( not visible from the road) and the guy wants 24995.  I figured its worth  tops with new tires  13000.  Sorry    But I'll  see a lot of them here and should I find one worth looking at  I let you know and if you should come this way  I can put you up for a few days.  It would be worth the money or I'll ckeep looking.

Scotty - Aren't you close to Chicago? Check out this Bounder - looks pretty sweet to me and most likely will be in your price range:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-Bounder-by-fleetwood-28-ft-Class-A-Ford-Chassis_W0QQitemZ190063630500QQihZ009QQcategoryZ50057QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

When I was looking, I thought a couple hundred bucks for a plane ticket was an okay price to get a good rig at a good price. And ebay has that fraud protection up to something like $20k. It comes down to trust, I guess - and taking a shot.

Hey thanks guys, man you are all so helpful!  ;D  I appreciate the honest overview Shayne, I *know* I'll always get that from you.  ;)  chaajoad, I do like that newer (than what I usually am looking at) body style of Bounder but I suspect that one will end above my price range.  I'll certainly keep an eye on it though.

Scotty  I just now sent you an EMail about one in Champaign, IL  Little more than you want to spend but Wow What a unit.    You could offer the guy much less and maybe he'll take it at this time of the year.  I'm  not  a GM man but this looks exceptional.  Let me know. and thanks for the compliment.

We bought a new 34J Bounder in 1994 and it was one good coach.  We might still have it but we went full-time and wanted a slide and a diesel.  It was a very stable coach and everything worked.  Drove it 30,000 miles before trading for a Dutch Star.

fredethomas said:
RV Consumers go for the money.  Don't trust them.
Okay, we won't. Of course, that means a lot more questions right here!

It's great to see you, Fred. Belated "congrats" to you and Daisy on your special anniversary!

I hope you see this ...

The '94 Bounder on ebay that I thought looked sweet and is in your area (Chicago) just went for around $9100. That's very close to your budget, no?

Man, I was thinking that might be your coach! I was looking forward to meeting you halfway this Summer for a few days in Glacier National Park. I have a feeling that the number of trips we'll take while owning this thing would more than pay for plane tickets and hotel - but what fun is that? And the more I think about it, the more full-timing in a big rig makes sense, especially two folks without kids.

The good news is - there will be more MHs. Yours is out there -

Danny
Poulsbo WA

Back
Top Bottom