Older MH's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donandmax

I was reading some posts from 2005 on the subject of traveling in older motorhomes. Most everyone says "no way" for a number of reason given. I own a 1980 Class C Dodge Mobile Traveler with 42,000 actual miles. After replacing the Furnace with a new Suburban and doing a little TLC work. My wife and I drove this coach from Colorado to Upstate NY and back. A little over 4,000 miles.It never overheated broke down or had flat tires. It drove like a new one. The engine (360) and 727 transmission were quite and smooth. The 727 transmissions are about as "bullet proof" as you can get. I paid 3500.00 for this unit because I didn't want monthly payments. It gets 10 mi per gal. No leaks and is well maintained by the PO and myself. Sometimes it is't the age but how well it was maintained. Dont keep up your maintenance and they'll dump you alongside the road. I have a friend who owns a 250,000 MH and he tells me it depreciates by 1500.00 a month.. Me buy new ?? No way !
Just my two cents..
Cheers and see you on down the road..
Don M

Howdy, Don.
>>>>.I have a friend who owns a 250,000 MH and he tells me it depreciates by 1500.00 a month.. Me buy new ?? No way !<<<<

We agree. That is why we bought an eleven year old Blue Bird Wanderlodge.

Regards,
Jack and Liz

I bought a 98 Pleasureway with 33k on it.  Still looks and runs like new.  Paid $21k for it instead of the $55k for a new one.  Only problem so far was a brake caliper seized up.  About $750.  Have 51k on it now.
Art

I agree, although my used vehicle cost a pretty penny.  I'm driving a 92 Blue Bird Wanderlodge.  Runs like a dream and has 160K miles on it.  Other systems like appliances, plumbing, etc.. are similar in almost all units and usually end up with the same problems.  Interior finishes are better than lower priced units.  Many systems have backup, such as two alternators rather than one.  Two chargers rather than one.  Multiple heating systems.  I could go on, but overall, the reason for owning the Wanderlodge is: " You can will it to your grandchildren" a line quoted from Jack Pearce.  The key is good maintenance.  Many 60's vintage Wanerlodges are still roaming all over the U.S..

The Wonderlodges are beautiful units and I envy the people who can afford them because even the used ones are more expensive than I can afford.. I do what I can to stay on the road from time to time. And I prefer not to have payments. Our Dodge is small (22 ft). But when we are traveling we dont spend that much time in it and we are always outside going somewhere. I'am a retired Air Force vet (20 yrs)also get civil service and SS so can't afford the more expensive units. But I enjoy this site because no one looks down on you just because they have a more expensive unit. Its a pleasure to talk to you all once in a while.
Cheers
Don McQueen

You're drawing  a whole lot more loot each month than the wife and I together.  It's all in managing what you have.   You just buy within your means.  However thanks to years of hard work and investments and turning the ole $ we can make it.

Ron from Big D said:
Don:

Beleive it or not, there are forward control Wanderlodges on the market for around $25,000.  That's not bad.

:eek:  That is a fortune to me, and I suspect to Don also since he mentioned that he paid $3,500 for his Class C.  Thanks for posting your experience with an older MH Don, I'm in the same boat as you as far as not having a lot of disposable income and not wanting to take out a loan.  We're looking at a larger Class A or C for myself, the wife, and two little boys, but we're hoping to find that diamond in the rough as far as value and condition goes.  ;)  Several times a week now I'm seeing ~1990 models selling for well under $10k (still the exception and not the rule, but it does happen), so I've just gotta wait until one pops up that is within my reach geographically.

Scotty,

Where are you geographically?  I see MHs advertised a lot for under $10,000, but don't know how far you are willing to travel.  Did you see the 1994 Fleetwood Flair 28' in NC that was about $7,000?  I have also seen some good deals loacally (Southeast Texas) that you might be interested in.  I would be glad to go look at any here that I find if you can come this way to buy.

Dan

Scotty: their are really some good deals out there. If you get an older one like mine expect to have to replace a few things. I have to replace my magnetek converter with a Paaralax 7300 It hooks up in about 30 min. Min. of wires and I hope doesnt boil water ( if you know what I mean.) about 206.00 from camping world(for members) The guy before me (PO) installed a new enterior, put new tires on it. The engine and transmission are super. I wouldnt be afraid or worried to drive it to Alaska and back.I figure I got a bargain for $3500.00. I probably could afford a newer one. But I financed a boat one time for 12 years. I sold it after 6 and took a beating. Some of these RV's you can get 20 yr financing on with reasonable payments. But who the hell wants to. Thats forever and for the few weeks out of the year we use these things its not worth it. We have a lull in gas prices right now but it won't last long. Believe me the Arabs arn't through with us yet. We have a bunch of drilling going on in the Western slope of Co. Forget about those guys selling their oil to us or even cheap, it'll go to some ferin country where they can get even more for it. So I don't want to get caught with something I can't get rid of or have to give away.  Watch for it guys cause its coming to a theater near you. Sometime in the future I bet you' wont be able to give these things away. In the future if you see someone driving a motorhome you can consider him rich. We're slowly getting priced right out of the market. Our friends in London are paying $8.00 a gal. for gas. That would price me right out of the RV business.
So for now I'll go cheap and when I can't afford it anymore I'll make a tool shed out of it.
Thanks for letting me rant..
Cheers to all
See yall on the road (for awhile anyway)
Don M

I am not afraid to drive old. Mine is a 89 pace arrow 37' with 62.000 miles and i love it. Sure I would like to have a new one and bigger but why. Here in PA. camping is part time and I am not a full timer. I to have a Friend who has a new fancy HM. the first trip yes that's right . the first trip he took in it was a short 9 hr trip down. Then coming home it broke down. To hear a man scream about paying $650.000 for this thing and break down on my first trip. How would you feel ? I know this happens very seldom.
P.S.  Guess who pick up the race fans in his over the hill motor home.

Dan Walters said:
Where are you geographically?  I see MHs advertised a lot for under $10,000, but don't know how far you are willing to travel.  Did you see the 1994 Fleetwood Flair 28' in NC that was about $7,000?

Is that Flair advertised online?  Sounds right up my alley, as far as the style and price I'm looking for.  I'm still trying to decide how far I could/should travel from central IL for a used MH.  I guess it depends on how good the deal is!  P.S. I responded to your e-mail also.  ;)

I dont know what most people consider old but I bought a 1991 ultrastar 33ft 454 gasser with 26k on it last year and I love it. Only had to put on new tires and minor repairs, light bulbs, small water line for the water filter ect. I also know people who have bought  new ones and have had all sorts of problems. I guess as long as it is taken care of It will get you  where you want to go. Then again new or old if its going to breakdown it will.
Brian

Scott,

The Flair that I saw was online at RVTrader.com.  I went back to find it again and can't seem to locate it, but there are several Fleetwood Flair's on that site for sale for under $10,000 in various parts of the country.  When you go to the search page, just put a price range of 3,000 to 10,000 and it will list all of them for you.  I did get your e-mail reply and I will still be looking around here for a great deal for you. 

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom