Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChasA

I can't believe there haven't been any discussion about the Olympics. It's day 4. I like swimming, volleyball, gymnastics, softball, diving,.... aw heck l like it all.

My daughter is excited about seeing rugby. She played in college and is glad it has made the Olympics! I'm sitting out under the awning right now but Kim is inside watching Gymnastics.

I can't believe there haven't been any discussion about the Olympics. It's day 4.
Among other things, the hype drives me away. And that's just as true in other sports coverage. For instance I used to LOVE watching football on TV. Over the years the audio has gone from announcing the play and some brief explanations of certain things to non-stop chatter about the players, the coaches, the latest player(s) arrested, and many other things only peripherally related to the game, and as the years wore on they spent less and less time on the game itself, often totally ignoring what's going on on the field.

The video coverage has gone from being able to see much of what goes on on the field to, the instant the play is over, snapping to bouncing heads, gesticulating players or coaches, or other things that detract from understanding what's going on in the game.

All sports coverage I've observed has seen this same trend, so it's hard to work up any enthusiasm for Olympics and other such.

Maybe some day they'll actually cover the sport again, about the time that Hawaiian beaches have 2 feet of snow.

I am watching the Olympics all day long. I watch everything except when they are fighting or shooting a gun. I hate violence. And it is only six months till the Winter Olympics.

I’ve been watching them every day and really enjoy it. There is only one event that I refuse to watch and I won’t get into which one or why.

Im guessing people are sick of the woke mentality in sports.
That better?

It’s the word woke I don’t understand. It might be an American term or expression or maybe an abbreviation? I’ll look it up later.

It’s the word woke I don’t understand. It might be an American term or expression or maybe an abbreviation? I’ll look it up later.
Woke (/ˈwoʊk/ WOHK) is a term, originating in the United States, that originally referred to awareness about racial prejudice and discrimination. It subsequently came to encompass an awareness of other issues of social inequality, for instance regarding gender and sexual orientation. Since the late 2010s, it has also been used as a general term for left-wing politicalmovements and perspectives which emphasise the identity politics of people of color, LGBT people, and women.

I hate social media ruining the coverage. By the time they air the event it has been well know that so and so failed to medal or this team won the gold. I have enjoyed watching at 8pm - 12am when the sports go live. It will be better for me when they move to Paris next time and the time difference is not as great.

I haven't watched any. The world is an exceptionally broken and messed up place right now. It was before, but it's been made worse. So I haven't really felt any sense of interest nor obligation to sit down and watch athletes on TV, amazing as they are. I find myself not caring. At all.

Don't feel bad -- it's a new term to me, too. Of course I'm not into all the "pretend I'm a teenager" hullabaloo, social media, etc. so woke (I woke up), meme (what was misspelled?) and a number of other terms just slide right on by.

I am watching the Olympics all day long. I watch everything except when they are fighting or shooting a gun. I hate violence. And it is only six months till the Winter Olympics.
I know the winter and summer games were 2 years apart but Covid messed that up. Will they get back to being 2 years apart?

Back
Top Bottom