on board battery charger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doggy dog

I have a 1989 lance camper so I would think that the on-board battery charger would not be compatible with a lithium battery if that is the case how would I disconnect the charger so it will not charge when I run my generator? I have disconnected the one that runs off the truck's alternator and will hook up a charger to the alternator that will work with a lithium battery and also a solar charger thanks the doggy dog

if I plug my camper into my portable generator the on-board battery charger is in the camper wiring system not plugged into a wall out-let, how would I disconnect it I don't think I can get an answer maybe everyone can't understand the question. I know a lot of times who know a lot about things just never really hear the question thanks I hope no one gets mad for me saying that but it is true I have done it myself before but i had to slow down and listen

Every converter I've seen has a standard 120V power cord. Just unplug it.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
No some are hard wired and some are built into the power distribution panel.
Very few are "Plug in"
However that said... There is always a wire that can be cut or disconnected... Often there will be a circuit breaker marked eitehr "Converter" or CONV.. it will have a wire attached.. Turn it OFF. if everything still works EXCEPT the converter (Generally lights dim a bit when they go from 13.6 to 12.6 volt) remove wire from breaker (While it is still off) and tape it and LABEL it "Original Converter" or some such. run a new power line to the new LI converter.. Hook to same breaker and then ... Turn it on.

if I plug my camper into my portable generator the on-board battery charger is in the camper wiring system not plugged into a wall out-let, how would I disconnect it I don't think I can get an answer maybe everyone can't understand the question. I know a lot of times who know a lot about things just never really hear the question thanks I hope no one gets mad for me saying that but it is true I have done it myself before but i had to slow down and listen
Hello there Doggy,
Replacing a AGM lead-acid house battery with lithium is fairly commonplace nowadays. It's common for older systems like yours to be hard-wired. Can you check the breaker-box and see if there is one dedicated to the inverter that you can switch?

You may just want to disconnect the factory converter for good. There is a good chance the converter/charger will hold the lithium battery at too high a voltage. Do you happen to know how long the charger holds the batteries at around 14v? This would be the absorption cycle, and you'll want to avoid putting lithium in absorption for more than 20-30 minutes.

Doggy Dog last seen JULY 6, hopefully he will return some day, or someone else will get some use out of this information.

Ok, I looked at the brochure for the 1989 Lance Camper series. p.17 of 22 (PDF) bottom LH pic, to the far left side is the converter.

https://www.lancecamper.com/docs/Lance_1998_brochure.pdf

Its a Parallax, or Magnetek which was the predecessor to the Parallax. Brown metal front. Remove the four screws on the lower part and turn the button a quarter turn and remove the entire front. Converter will be exposed on the bottom. The metal "can" has to stay as that is what the front screws to. You could remove the converter, "can" and all and replace with a Progressive Dynamics 4600 series designed for lithium. It will come with a much nicer, new fuse panel, also.

That will be the least obtrusive way to replace the converter, it comes with the metal "can" ready to install.
PD4635LI PD 4635VL-PD 4635VL 35 Amp Converter Upgrade, Optional Remot

PD4645LI PD 4645VL-PD 4645VL 45 Amp Converter Upgrade, Optional Remot

PD4655LI PD 4655VL-PD 4655VL 55 Amp Converter Upgrade, Optional Remot

are the lithium models, no charge wizard function.

Charles

sorry guys I been away a long time been very sick. but I seen all the answers that is very good I will now start working on my truck and camper I got a lot to do so I will count on everyone's help I will try to keep posted Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom