? On slides and landing gear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigD

I?ve got a 2014 Cyclone. My question is, is it normal that when I run the slides in they will stop on their own about half way in. Once I give it about a minute or so they?ll go again. Of course I have to push the button again. Same thing when I raise stabilizers. It will even timeout the automatic levelers. Anyone else see this happening? Thankst

Are you on shore power when this happens?  Sounds like a weak battery.

I wonder if they're tripping a automatic reset fuse. I had that issue on my last RV. The big slide would go in/out part way and just stop. I'd have to wait 30 seconds and it would then go the rest of the way. I figured it was some type of fuse but never found it. No need to find it.

Depends.  If all of those things are hydraulic and run by a single pump it?s likely to be a thermal problem in the pump motor.  If they are all separate motors my money goes on the self resetting breaker.

No, it's not "normal" at all.

I'd guess an amperage overload, whether hydraulic or mechanical. Low voltage from the battery (or converter, if on shore power) will cause an increase in the amps needed by the pump or motor, generating heat and tripping its thermal overload circuit breaker. Those will auto-reset as they cool. 

Another possibility:  Many slide systems also have amp-overload protection intended to stop the slide if it bumps into something (stalls out). The amps increase as the motor strains to move the slide against resistance and the overload breaker opens to prevent motor burn-out of damage/injury because the slide has bumped into something or somebody. That sort of breaker resets almost immediately.

A weak battery will perform ok for a few seconds but then the voltage takes a nose-dive and the amps climb proportionally. That likely causes either an actual thermal overload or a false mechanical overload condition. Since it happens on all your major power consumption devices, I'd say weak battery is the most likely cause.

One thing I?ll add is this only happens when I run the slides in or I?m retracting the levelers.

I had similar issues, even with a new battery.  I make sure I am plugged into shore power any time I move slides or landing gear.  The converter is then supplying much of the power.

If it is happening, even on shore power, especially extending landing gear, try lubing the gear??

Back
Top Bottom