Onan 12.5 KWHD Diesel Generator Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cowboy0001

Greetings RVers, hope everyone are doing well. I've been having some issues with our diesel generator stopping after running for an hour. Not experienced with this part of RVing I decided to service the generator and change the fluids. When I got to the radiator I drained it and couldn't get the water back into it. There seemed to be a block so I found an air pocket (?) but when that burped out of it the water flowed in. Well, it also flowed out of the drain port after I screwed the plug in. So, now I have a stripped drain on my radiator. Old school tells me I need to remove and replace the radiator. Looking at the work involved I am wondering if anybody else has had this issue and what your fix was. I have a 2000 Country Coach Affinity Bed and Breakfast model. Any suggestions?

Is it actually striped or just cross threaded,? many times you can "chase" the threads and reinsert the plug ,(with a new crush washer) and be fine.>>>Dan ( It also should not be filled with "water",, Extended life coolant is the best )

The hole is stripped. There is no crush washer, only a rubber o-ring which strips and breaks when tightening down. Thanks for your input.

This problem is commonly repaired without removal if striped. A self tapping oversized plug is available for this problem..>>>Dan

Is it actually striped or just cross threaded,? many times you can "chase" the threads and reinsert the plug ,(with a new crush washer) and be fine.>>>Dan ( It also should not be filled with "water",, Extended life coolant is the best )
There are only about three threads for the drain plug to screw into.

This problem is commonly repaired without removal if striped. A self tapping oversized plug is available for this problem..>>>Dan
I like this idea but there are only three threads to grip the plug. Where should I search for this self taping oversized plug?

OK, the radiator is made of plastic and the bung the drain plug fits into is twisted during tightening and cracked the radiator. I managed to find a replacement at Activeradiator.com. My replacement is all metal but very pricey! Thank you all for your contribution. Blessings!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom