Onan 2800i service parts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darel

I have an Onan model 2.8 KV-FN26100G RV generator, serial A980668069. Since this generator is in the worst possible spot and requires complete removal from my van to do any service on it, I kinda want to have everything ready to go and don't want to have to do this job twice. I have all the manuals and have scoured the internet for a service kit but can't find any part numbers or a kit so I have no idea what to buy. Can anyone enlighten me as to the part numbers for the:
air filter
spark plug
fuel filter
and can you tell me the oil type and quantity I would need?

Thanks,
Darel

The Cummins/Onan web site has all the manuals, operating manuals, installation manuals, etc. You will find the information in there.

You are confusing the issue saying in the title it is a 2800i which is the newest inverter model generator, then you give the series as a KV. The inverter model 2800i is a HGLAA, so I have to assume you have a regular old Onan 2800 model. The last character of your model number is your spec letter (also shown separately on the data tag) which in your case is a G.

how-to-find-rv-generator-model-number.jpg

Operators manual, Engine oil recommendations are found on page 9 (PDF page 11) I think it only holds a quart, but I would buy two to be safe. I use Amsoil 10W-30 small engine oil. Cummins does not recommend synthetic oil but do not forbid it either. They just want you to wear out the engine faster.
981-0153

Installation manual, page 2-2 (PDF page 14) has the spark plug torque, gap and valve lash settings.
981-0604

Parts manual, OK, well Cummins wants you to LOG IN to access this, I hate corporations that want to control this kind of data, essential to owing the unit.
981-0238

I have a 2500LP model spec L, so virtually the same unit. So am I to understand that you cannot even open the front panel of the generator? How do you check or add oil? The air filter, spark plug and the oil fill are accessed thru this panel. The oil drain is thru the bottom, is the bottom exposed?

Word to the wise, do not fill the oil to the very top, leave it about half way up hash marked section of the dipstick.

Second word to the wise, do not use a Champion spark plug in the generator, period. How many hours do you have on this generator? I have 200 on mine and the plug looks like new.

The front of your generator should look like the one in the line drawing (first attachment)

I will do some digging and find the part number of the air filter in mine, which will be the same as yours.

Found this chart on the Cummins Onan website that lists by models, the oil quantity, and part numbers for every thing you need. Yours is the second line down.

KV A-M - 1 quart oil, Air Filter 140-2105; Fuel Filter 149-2137; Spark Plug 167-0263-02; NO Service Kit numbers. There are footnotes, so look at the link to see the whole chart.

ONAN online parts ordering

Charles

Attachments

• 2500LP-2800 NON Inverter model.jpg
    2500LP-2800 NON Inverter model.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom