Onan 3200 QD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to the forum.

Your question is a bit unspecific to give you information.

Maybe if you tell us what specific problems you have with the generator, people could provide some help.

My 7500 uses a Kubota diesel three cylinder and has given me no problems in 25 years. I was wondering if the Kubota is still being used for these smaller units.??.>>>D

Checked on this unit and was surprised to learn that the engine is a SINGLE cylinder Yakima diesel engine!! at 22 to 1 compression ratio.>>>Dan

What problems have any of you had with the Onan 3200 QD generators?
I have one that quit running under load no alerts or messages on the display. Display reads GEN OFF. It had 259 run hours it will crank but will not start. It has fuel available and the electric fuel pump pumps fuel through the fuel filter air filter is good but it will not start.

I wonder how many people have one that has a lot of sucessful run hours on it.

Thanks for the reply. I have the operators manual the service manual and even the workshop manual I have indeed gone through them all.
This is what I know. The electric 12 volt fuel pump is pumping fuel through the filter. The kill solenoid has 12 volts going to the wire feeding it when you press the green start button. The coil for the kill solenoid reads 10 ohms of resistance to engine ground which tells me it should be drawing 1.1 amps. I removed the diesel line going to the injector and cranked the engine and no fuel come out going to the injector. This tells me it has to be the high pressure fuel pump internal to the engine is not working. I took the generator out and carried it to Mobile Ala, to a HATZ service center. I was told it would take 10 to 15 hours of shop labor @ $150.00/hr to disassemble the engine to determine the problem. They then said depending on the problem they might not be able to get parts to repair it. They contacted HATZ for a new engine and were told the engine is no longer available they no longer make it. I contacted thr Onan service center in Kenner La. They wanted to know why I took it to a HATZ service center instead of Onan. I explained the engine was a HATZ diesel. They said the cost per hour for the labor was a bargain as they charge $250.00/hr. He also said Onan discontinued the QD 3200 about 3 months ago. I really don't mind paying the labor if the thing could be fixed but at this time I don't want to spend $1500 to $2500 to find out if it can or can't be fixed. If the parts are available it would take 10 to 15 hours to reassemble the thing plus any parts that are needed so I would be $3000 to $5000 into the repair. These RV dealers are still offering the diesel generator as an option. There is about 200,000 of these sprinters on the road they make about 40,000 per year. I can find no one who makes a 3000 to 3400 watt diesel generator with electric start that will fit underneath the sprinter. Serval companies used to make them but they discontinued them. I have called Leisure Travel many times trying to buy a diesel generator I was told they are checking on it but do not return my phone calls. I could get a propane generator but the propane tank is only 15 gallons so I would be limited to 20 hours of run time with the generator.

I got the Onan QD 3200 installed. It does run but mine was a Spec Letter D and the one I bought was an earlier Spec Letter. The control card internal to the generator was not compatable I had to swap them out and the engine wiring harness had to be modified. I did not disassemble the one I bought before I installed it and I found a rodent nest in the flow path for the air intake after I installed it. A word to the wise if you ever swap one out take the top off and examine the top of the duct blower for any foreign objects. The engine wiring harness is no longer available from Onan and the control card for the Spec Letter D is $418 the engine harness A044U873 is no longer available from Onan but can be bought from GPM truck center for $435. If anyone needs a control card for a Spec Letter A or B I have one it may or may not be good. To test it would require a 300-6411 control panel. That was also a difference between the Spec Letter A-B and the Spec Letter D the control panel for the D is A044U877 and the Spec Letter A-B is the 300-6411.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom