Onan 4000 fault code 32...HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olddog58

My genset stopped working a while back and with winter coming, I've gotten serious about getting it running again. The fault code is 32..."rpm <180 for greater than 2 sec". The engine starts right up without a problem, but shuts off after 2 seconds with a fault code of 32. I have disconnected power to reset the fault code (which was in a post I read). I have held the "prime" button for 30 seconds to reset the fault code (which is how the operators manual says to do it). Every time I start the engine, it shuts down and gives fault code 32. After reading several posts, both on this forum and others, these are the steps I've taken thus far:
1. Checked the battery output and found it excellent.
2. Disconnected and cleaned all electrical connections to eliminate corrosion or connectivity problems.
3. Changed the oil and made sure the level and viscosity were correct.
4. Replaced the air filter.
5. Replaced the spark plug.
6. Made sure the fan is turning freely by hand and felt for good compression when turning the engine by hand.
7. Checked for 12 volt output during that 2 seconds that it runs, and it is producing electricity, although it's too fast for me to get an accurate reading before it shuts down.
8. Started the main RV engine and left it running while trying to start the generator.

Anyone out there have any further suggestions or ideas? I'm about ready to give up and take it to an Onan service center, but just hate to pay the prices they charge.

Thanks in advance for any advice and for your time and consideration.

Henry J Fate

If you have the exact model number please post for best advice.

If code 32 is a low crank condition but the genset is starting up, be sure code 32 is the correct code.

The generator should run at 3600 rpms. This produces 60 cycles nominally and will also provide correct voltage which both being monitored and with additional fault codes.

Your model number will provide the existence of a 12 volt charge circuit but I am guessing that one does not exist in your model. Instead, the generator feeds a converter charger which provides 12 volts from the generator 120 volt supply.

The governor and associated linkage can change conditions over time and should be checked. Springs will weaken things will go out of adjustment.

Olddog58

My genset stopped working a while back and with winter coming, I've gotten serious about getting it running again. The fault code is 32..."rpm <180 for greater than 2 sec". The engine starts right up without a problem, but shuts off after 2 seconds with a fault code of 32. I have disconnected power to reset the fault code (which was in a post I read). I have held the "prime" button for 30 seconds to reset the fault code (which is how the operators manual says to do it). Every time I start the engine, it shuts down and gives fault code 32. After reading several posts, both on this forum and others, these are the steps I've taken thus far:
1. Checked the battery output and found it excellent.
2. Disconnected and cleaned all electrical connections to eliminate corrosion or connectivity problems.
3. Changed the oil and made sure the level and viscosity were correct.
4. Replaced the air filter.
5. Replaced the spark plug.
6. Made sure the fan is turning freely by hand and felt for good compression when turning the engine by hand.
7. Checked for 12 volt output during that 2 seconds that it runs, and it is producing electricity, although it's too fast for me to get an accurate reading before it shuts down.
8. Started the main RV engine and left it running while trying to start the generator.

Anyone out there have any further suggestions or ideas? I'm about ready to give up and take it to an Onan service center, but just hate to pay the prices they charge.

Thanks in advance for any advice and for your time and consideration.
Sorry...in #7 above, I meant to say that I checked for 120 VAC output, not 12 v.

Kirk

Sometimes your generator requires a reboot just like computer systems. This is because these have a control panel on them which works the same as your computer. Taking it off and then plugging it back in should fix most problems regarding error messages on these devices.

Top Bottom