Onan 4000 fault code 32...HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olddog58

My genset stopped working a while back and with winter coming, I've gotten serious about getting it running again. The fault code is 32..."rpm <180 for greater than 2 sec". The engine starts right up without a problem, but shuts off after 2 seconds with a fault code of 32. I have disconnected power to reset the fault code (which was in a post I read). I have held the "prime" button for 30 seconds to reset the fault code (which is how the operators manual says to do it). Every time I start the engine, it shuts down and gives fault code 32. After reading several posts, both on this forum and others, these are the steps I've taken thus far:
1. Checked the battery output and found it excellent.
2. Disconnected and cleaned all electrical connections to eliminate corrosion or connectivity problems.
3. Changed the oil and made sure the level and viscosity were correct.
4. Replaced the air filter.
5. Replaced the spark plug.
6. Made sure the fan is turning freely by hand and felt for good compression when turning the engine by hand.
7. Checked for 12 volt output during that 2 seconds that it runs, and it is producing electricity, although it's too fast for me to get an accurate reading before it shuts down.
8. Started the main RV engine and left it running while trying to start the generator.

Anyone out there have any further suggestions or ideas? I'm about ready to give up and take it to an Onan service center, but just hate to pay the prices they charge.

Thanks in advance for any advice and for your time and consideration.

If you have the exact model number please post for best advice.

If code 32 is a low crank condition but the genset is starting up, be sure code 32 is the correct code.

The generator should run at 3600 rpms. This produces 60 cycles nominally and will also provide correct voltage which both being monitored and with additional fault codes.

Your model number will provide the existence of a 12 volt charge circuit but I am guessing that one does not exist in your model. Instead, the generator feeds a converter charger which provides 12 volts from the generator 120 volt supply.

The governor and associated linkage can change conditions over time and should be checked. Springs will weaken things will go out of adjustment.

My genset stopped working a while back and with winter coming, I've gotten serious about getting it running again. The fault code is 32..."rpm <180 for greater than 2 sec". The engine starts right up without a problem, but shuts off after 2 seconds with a fault code of 32. I have disconnected power to reset the fault code (which was in a post I read). I have held the "prime" button for 30 seconds to reset the fault code (which is how the operators manual says to do it). Every time I start the engine, it shuts down and gives fault code 32. After reading several posts, both on this forum and others, these are the steps I've taken thus far:
1. Checked the battery output and found it excellent.
2. Disconnected and cleaned all electrical connections to eliminate corrosion or connectivity problems.
3. Changed the oil and made sure the level and viscosity were correct.
4. Replaced the air filter.
5. Replaced the spark plug.
6. Made sure the fan is turning freely by hand and felt for good compression when turning the engine by hand.
7. Checked for 12 volt output during that 2 seconds that it runs, and it is producing electricity, although it's too fast for me to get an accurate reading before it shuts down.
8. Started the main RV engine and left it running while trying to start the generator.

Anyone out there have any further suggestions or ideas? I'm about ready to give up and take it to an Onan service center, but just hate to pay the prices they charge.

Thanks in advance for any advice and for your time and consideration.
Sorry...in #7 above, I meant to say that I checked for 120 VAC output, not 12 v.

Sometimes your generator requires a reboot just like computer systems. This is because these have a control panel on them which works the same as your computer. Taking it off and then plugging it back in should fix most problems regarding error messages on these devices.

Any updates on this post? I am having the same issue with code 32. Have been chasing my tail for a few weeks. Below is a list of everything that I have done. Looks more and more like the control modular.

Will start and run until I release the starter. If I keep my finger on the starter it will run between 10 and 15 seconds and then shut off and give me the code 32.

Changed oil. Put in 30 SAE. Drained the new oil and put in 10W40.
Oil is at the proper level. Not too full or too low.

Checked all battery connections. Solenoid is pulling the correct voltage. Between 12.3 and 13 volts. Have tried starting it three different ways.
1 With the on board charger not on.
2. With the onboard charger on
3. With the RV motor running
All wires are good. Nothing has been chewed on by mice. Pulled off black cover behind the starter switch and the starter switch off to check all of the white wires.
Other checks.
Changed air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump and spark plug. (.025 Gap) Removed carburetor bowl and cleaned everything. It was not in need of cleaning. No clogs or backups.
I had a RV service person look at it at an RV park. He said it was a fuel issue and I should change the fuel pump. I did as listed above. No change.
There is not a load on the generator. No AC or Furnace.
Tried to start it with the breaker on the generator off.
Is it the modulator? Before I drop $400+ on this part is there a way to test it? I had to remove it when I replaced the fuel pump.

Will start and run until I release the starter. If I keep my finger on the starter it will run between 10 and 15 seconds and then shut off and give me the code 32.
Are you sure it is 32 and not 23? Your symptoms sound more like a 23 than a 32.

See here. I don't see why the genny will care about a low cranking speed after it already started.

-Don- Reno, NV

pull the connector on the control module. leave it off for a couple minutes then re-connect. be sure of the code number if it continues to fail.

800-286-6467. cummins customer service. they may be able to guide you in the direction of the problem. have model, serial and related troubleshooting and attempted repair info handy.

Are you sure it is 32 and not 23? Your symptoms sound more like a 23 than a 32.

See here. I don't see why the genny will care about a low cranking speed after it already started.

-Don- Reno, NV
Thank you, I agree. It does not make sense that it is code 32. I have been looking at it for a few weeks. I am positive it is 32.

pull the connector on the control module. leave it off for a couple minutes then re-connect. be sure of the code number if it continues to fail.

800-286-6467. cummins customer service. they may be able to guide you in the direction of the problem. have model, serial and related troubleshooting and attempted repair info handy.
Thank you
I did have the control module disconnected for over 20 minutes when I pulled it to replace the fuel pump. It did not change or clear the cod.

I had to bring it in to a dealer to try and figure out what was wrong. The book they had listed a few more items under code 32. It included the brushes, stator and rotor as a possible problem. I left with that knowledge and decided to drop the generator myself. After pulling the flywheel, I found the plastic on one side of the brush block had been broken off. Thankfully the wire plugs we still there and in good shape. I tested the stator and rotor as long as I was that deep into it.
Replaced the brush block ($125) and got it all put back together. The code is gone.
The solenoid is going bad from all of the start ups I had been doing. (New on on order.) Now I have problem of the genset not staying running. (No Code) Going to clean the carb and maybe put the old fuel pump back on.
However, Code 32 is solved. Thank you all for the suggestions.

I had to bring it in to a dealer to try and figure out what was wrong. The book they had listed a few more items under code 32. It included the brushes, stator and rotor as a possible problem. I left with that knowledge and decided to drop the generator myself. After pulling the flywheel, I found the plastic on one side of the brush block had been broken off. Thankfully the wire plugs we still there and in good shape. I tested the stator and rotor as long as I was that deep into it.
Replaced the brush block ($125) and got it all put back together. The code is gone.
The solenoid is going bad from all of the start ups I had been doing. (New on on order.) Now I have problem of the genset not staying running. (No Code) Going to clean the carb and maybe put the old fuel pump back on.
However, Code 32 is solved. Thank you all for the suggestions.
Any idea if polarity matters on the brush block? I've got a rat that chewed the wires that go to the brush block and now that I have attached new wires, I do not know which wires goes to which side. The manual is no help because it calls the wires F1 and F2 but my wires are labeled F+ and F-.

Back
Top Bottom