Onan 5000 5bgfe will not start, help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wtsane

Make and model of RV: 2000 Damon Challenger

Make and model of generator: Onan 5000 5bgfe

Symptoms: generator will not start. Fuel pump doesn't run when priming. Engine turns over with starter, but no ignition.

Actions taken: verify fuel pump operation with separate power supply. Verified fuel line clarity to fuel filter input (gasoline present and moving when fuel pump is energized using separate power supply). Verified fuses intact (2x). Verified all wire connections made.

Replaced: Starter and circuit board, fuel and air filter, spark plug.

Notes: according to the internet ditties, there is a sort of reset switch/breaker, somewhere IVO the batteries. If this is true, I can't find it.

Any help/insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

First (dumb) question - Is the fuel level high enough in the tank to supply the generator? Most RVs won't supply the genny below about 1/3 to 1/4 tank.

Then what I would do is pull the air filter and spray some engine start fluid in the inlet. If the genny fires it's a fuel problem.

Also If you do engine work this little spark tester is almost a necessity.

1664460777868.png

Fuel topped off 23 Sep 2022, starter fluid yields no joy. Circuit tester is likely valid, I have been using a multimeter up to now. Thing is, when priming is selected, the pump does not run. I can verify the pump with an external 12v source, but if there is some mysterious tiny reset breaker I am missing, this thing is never going to light off.

Full fuel, no joy with starting fluid. I have been using a multimeter. The thing that bugs me at the moment is the possibility of some tiny reset switch I can't locate, causing me to endlessly chase my own tail.

Full fuel, no joy with starting fluid. I have been using a multimeter. The thing that bugs me at the moment is the possibility of some tiny reset switch I can't locate, causing me to endlessly chase my own tail.

No joy with start fluid aims me at missing spark. You can do it old school by pulling a plug wire, sticking a "snug" bolt in the connector and hold the wire near the head with insulated pliers looking for spark.

No joy with start fluid aims me at missing spark. You can do it old school by pulling a plug wire, sticking a "snug" bolt in the connector and hold the wire near the head with insulated pliers looking for spark.
Tried that, failed. The generator jumps around a bit when starting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom