Onan 5000 GenSet only runs with start button pushed in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello, I need help …

I’m having a problem and I hope you can guide me in the right direction.

My Onan 5000 GenSet Generator on my 1999 Winnebago Adventurer WAS working great. Now it won’t stay running.

After some time I tried starting the generator and it wouldn’t start. Battery is good. Fuel Tank is full.
It cranks and starts but as soon as I release the start button it shuts down.
I checked the oil and it was pretty low. I added oil and It still doesn’t start.
I gave it a tune up replacing the spark plugs, the Fuel Pump and Filter. The air filter.
I went as far as changing the Start Button/control board assembly.
I also unplugged the plug that connects the two start switches in the coach. Isolating those switches.
It still does the same thing, shuts down after the start button is released at the generator itself.

In reading your website’s suggestions.
I think it might be my Oil Level/pressure Switch.

Can you please assist me in locating the Oil pressure switch?

Thank you very much!
Gerard Frensdorff

Copied from another website ...

Reasons Why Your RV Generator Runs Then Shuts Off?
• In earlier gensets, a burned out resistor caused that symp¬tom.
• However, since the evolution of electronics, it can now be caused by
o A faulty oil pressure switch
o A faulty voltage regulator
o A failed control board
• The Onan Marquis requires sufficient oil pressure to keep running, so carefully check the oil level.
• If it is correct, then it may be a faulty oil pressure switch, or it could also be stuck in the open position.
I am not saying I have your answer but mine to the same problem was corrected when I moved the altitude adjustment. Can’t remember which way but it was either too lean or too rich. You can play with it while using the generator mounted start button. That solved my problem and I have also learned to run it for 30-45 minutes every month or so.

You left out the 5K BGE. I have one, and it runs our two roof top A/C's just fine.
I had the 5k BGE on my coach (2 a/c's...ran them both fine).
It does not have the capability to display codes, and it will definitely run and continue to run when it's not putting out any 120v.
When I discovered that it would cost as much as a new one to repair mine, I replaced it with a lightly used 7K NHM. The NHM also does not have the capability to display codes, but I have no idea about whether it'll run if it quits generating power...yet.

I had the 5k BGE on my coach (2 a/c's...ran them both fine).
It does not have the capability to display codes, and it will definitely run and continue to run when it's not putting out any 120v.
When I discovered that it would cost as much as a new one to repair mine, I replaced it with a lightly used 7K NHM. The NHM also does not have the capability to display codes, but I have no idea about whether it'll run if it quits generating power...yet.
Neither our current 5 BGE or the 7 NHM in our previous RV would keep running if the output voltage was below about 65-70 volts. When that happens, I usually straighten it out by cleaning any tarnish buildup off the slip rings. Sometimes just holding the start button down for a few minutes is enough to clean the rings enough to keep the engine running as the voltage builds to normal.

An Onan 5000 in a 1999 motorhome is most likely a BGE, and using the Flight Systems slip ring tool is really quite easy to do without pulling the generator. The electronics have come a long way, but 20+ year old slip rings still tarnish causing poor contact with the brushes.

Here's a video that shows how its done:

If you're not very mechanically adept, I wouldn't stick anything in a moving generator! Great product idea, but not for shade tree mechanics!

Hello, I need help …

I’m having a problem and I hope you can guide me in the right direction.

My Onan 5000 GenSet Generator on my 1999 Winnebago Adventurer WAS working great. Now it won’t stay running.

After some time I tried starting the generator and it wouldn’t start. Battery is good. Fuel Tank is full.
It cranks and starts but as soon as I release the start button it shuts down.
I checked the oil and it was pretty low. I added oil and It still doesn’t start.
I gave it a tune up replacing the spark plugs, the Fuel Pump and Filter. The air filter.
I went as far as changing the Start Button/control board assembly.
I also unplugged the plug that connects the two start switches in the coach. Isolating those switches.
It still does the same thing, shuts down after the start button is released at the generator itself.

In reading your website’s suggestions.
I think it might be my Oil Level/pressure Switch.

Can you please assist me in locating the Oil pressure switch?

Thank you very much!
Gerard Frensdorff

Copied from another website ...

Reasons Why Your RV Generator Runs Then Shuts Off?
• In earlier gensets, a burned out resistor caused that symp¬tom.
• However, since the evolution of electronics, it can now be caused by
o A faulty oil pressure switch
o A faulty voltage regulator
o A failed control board
• The Onan Marquis requires sufficient oil pressure to keep running, so carefully check the oil level.
• If it is correct, then it may be a faulty oil pressure switch, or it could also be stuck in the open position.
Hey Gman, I just went over the same issue with another poster. My issue was simply the brush set for the same issue. Easy fix. 1 bolt holds them in. The brush set is an igniter circuit for the system. Once it senses current, it will run. If they are stuck up like mine were, it would shut right down. I will attach a pic. It is located right above the control panel. Don't buy a board until you swap this out first. If it comes down to a board, buy the Cummings brand because many others are cheap china made junk and go out. Cummings can range from $500-800 depending on who you get it from.
Brushes are a cheap try first, less than $60 if you have some mechanical ability. Down the road I ended up with a bad fuel pump as well but that was a different issue of course. The stator ring will need to be cleaned up with sand paper so its shiney too.
I cannot get all the pics to load, but here is the brush assy.

Dickthemooner

Attachments

• brush set 1.png
    brush set 1.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 5
Try adding a little more oil, like 1/2 quart overfull...some gensets seem to like that, also you should be able to jumper around the oil pressure switch(may have to ground it depending on the model)

If you're not very mechanically adept, I wouldn't stick anything in a moving generator! Great product idea, but not for shade tree mechanics!
With a good light and a little care it's really not a difficult operation. There isn't much there moving to catch the stick on and with that good light, you can easily see what you're doing. The first time I used the SlipStick I had no worries at all. And I don't rate myself much above the average shade tree mechanic, although I do have many years under the tree. ;)

Back
Top Bottom