Onan 5500 generator quit during long up-hill grade.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

We had just crested a long grade when we lost the Genny.  Pulled over and tried to start it.  It turned over, sounded like it was going to run and then quit.  I opened the panel and checked the breakers.  Turned off and back on.  Same thing, started then quit.  Then from the Genny, I hit the start button which was flashing red, (didn't notice that before).  It started right up and continued running.  At the time, we had maybe 30 gallons of fuel in the tank.  It holds 75 so I figure about 18 to 20 before the quarter tank shut off. 

We gassed up after another 20 miles.  It took about 47 gallons.  It ran flawlessly for the next 5 hours.  So automatic shut-off kicked in or???

As an aside, the Genny was serviced last February and only had about 25 hours since the last oil change. 

John Stephens

darsben said:
Or the pickup is near the front of the tank and was sucking air on that long grade

X2 - sounds like your gas tank was at such an angle that you were only getting air. When I have run to ? tank and the generator shuts off from lack of fuel, it takes two or three tries before it will begin running again, exactly like what you described.

HappyWanderer

The flashing red light was indicating the fault code. If it happens again, note the flash sequence and check the generator manual.

garyb1st

It sure sounds like the Genny ran out of gas.  As mentioned it ran for 5 hours after it stopped.  Then the next morning, it ran for another 2 hours. 

Didn't realize the flashing red light indicated a potential issue.  I'll take a closer look next time. 

Thanks for the replies. 

Top Bottom