Onan 5500 Marquis Code 47

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

We were dry camping in unseasonably warm weather. It was quite hot so had both AC's running. Genny quits after about 30 minutes. Started it again and same thing. Then started and got error code 47. Says it's an ignition issue and could be related to the board. A few comments on the Net suggest high ambient temps could be the problem. Long story short. We moved to a full service campground with considerably lower temperatures so didn't need the Genny. After 6 days, we headed back to the dry camping area. This time it was maybe 20º cooler and the Genny fired up and ran like a champ. It ran for at least 3 hours before we shut it down. Since then, it's been running daily for several hours at a time over the past 3 days with no shutdowns.

Anyone have a similar problem and have any words of wisdom? Also, anyone replace a board on an Onan 5500 circa 2005?

One caveat, we haven't needed the AC so don't know how it will perform under load. The most we've powered was the microwave and a small 1500 watt space heater.

We were dry camping in unseasonably warm weather. It was quite hot so had both AC's running. Genny quits after about 30 minutes. Started it again and same thing. Then started and got error code 47. Says it's an ignition issue and could be related to the board. A few comments on the Net suggest high ambient temps could be the problem. Long story short. We moved to a full service campground with considerably lower temperatures so didn't need the Genny. After 6 days, we headed back to the dry camping area. This time it was maybe 20º cooler and the Genny fired up and ran like a champ. It ran for at least 3 hours before we shut it down. Since then, it's been running daily for several hours at a time over the past 3 days with no shutdowns.

Anyone have a similar problem and have any words of wisdom? Also, anyone replace a board on an Onan 5500 circa 2005?

One caveat, we haven't needed the AC so don't know how it will perform under load. The most we've powered was the microwave and a small 1500 watt space heater.

I had similar issues with my 5500. I now have a pretty extensive knowledge of common issues. I found that the codes it shows are many times misleading as well. 2 items I definitely replaced, and no issues since. Often overlooked by DYI people. I'll try to post pics if I still have them.

1) There is an igniter circuit that fires the AC side. 2 wires that slip on and can be hooked up either way so no worries. It is a set of brushes that are located right above the control panel. Cost is @ $55 and easy to replace if you are capable. I did have to shimmy it a bit to remove it because the brushes we so worn it heated up the holder. Items can be found on Amazon, Cummings parts, Walmart(yep), and other similar sources.

2) Fuel pump, filter, and all rubber hoses. If they have never been changed, do it now! Cost is low. Pump heats up and stops working, sounds like its running but its not pushing gas. Also, the rubber hoses get soft inside where you cant see it and sucks closed. Also found on amazon. I was stranded at a rest stop in over 100 degree weather in Arkansas last year when mine broke. Luckily there was an auto parts store an exit down and I sent my son after parts and gerry rigged it. I'm an old mechanic and had him get a low volume fuel pump replacement for a 1970 ford 360 engine. Changed it and all the hoses, clamps, and filter and ran like a champ.

I need to add, I paid a RV road mechanic $300 to originally look at it and diagnose the issue. His diagnosis was a control board after repeating every test I did provious to his arrival. I purchased the board from Cummings in Memphis and installed it, same issue. After exhausting many avenues, I talked to the Cumming shop that furnished the board and he directed me to the brush assembly. I replaced them and ran fine. I re-installed the old board and it was also fine. They would have refunded my money, but I was so happy they helped me and kept the board as a spare. (The fuel pump was a later issue down the road). I now carry an extra set of brushes and fuel pump. For $100 I'll keep them on board for spares. Also, keep extra 5/16" and 1/4" fuel hose and new clamps.

Sorry if this was a long reply but I hope it helps! Good luck!

Dick

Dick thanks for the reply. What year is your Onan. I've seen a video on removing the board but it was an older unit and looked much easier to remove compared to my unit. I'm inclined to agree that it's not the board. Our unit has been running fine for the past few weeks. We don't have it on for more than two hours and so far haven't needed AC so it may not be heating up as much. I need to do a service but can't get the oil filter off. Several years ago, I replaced the carburetor and fuel pump and it's worked very well since. I also replaced the fuel line from the gas tank but the other lines are original as far as I know. I will do that once I'm back at our home. The brushes are something I'm not so sure about. I've read they can be a problem. One thing that occurs to me after reading your post is a fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor. When I replaced the carburetor I forgot to install the heat shield over the hose. It's possible that the heat has caused that hose to be damaged. I'll replace that when I get home as well. It will be a few weeks but I'll get post how things have been going.

As mentioned, the Genny starts right up and has been running without incident for the past 3 weeks.

Here is a pic of the brush set. Nice to hear its running good. It would be my guess that your problem is the fuel pump. The hoses from the carb go under the gen set to a metal line that comes from the main fuel tank. There should also be a filter under there besides the one screwed right into the carb. I suggest replacing them all. Feel free to message me and get my number if calling helps once you get home. My generator is original and has been rebuilt since. Its a Winni 2001 Adventurer 35U

Attachments

• brush set 1.png
    brush set 1.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Gary - The board is easy to get out and is directly on the front left of the gen where your rocker switches are, at least on my model. This is a very popular model and not a lot of real changes made for many years although they did relocate the oil filter facing you now instead of facing down. Other than that, only cosmetic upgrades it seems.

Gary - The board is easy to get out and is directly on the front left of the gen where your rocker switches are, at least on my model. This is a very popular model and not a lot of real changes made for many years although they did relocate the oil filter facing you now instead of facing down. Other than that, only cosmetic upgrades it seems.

Attachments

• IMG_8325.jpg
    IMG_8325.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8326.jpg
    IMG_8326.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8327.jpg
    IMG_8327.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8328.jpg
    IMG_8328.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8329.jpg
    IMG_8329.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8330.jpg
    IMG_8330.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8324.jpg
    IMG_8324.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 3
Dick, thanks for the pix. It looks like we have the same model. As mentioned, I'm going to replace the heat shield when we get home and try to run the AC to see if it shuts down. If it still shuts down after putting the heat shield back on, I'll remove the control panel and check the exciter. Is there a way of determining if it has failed?

Dick, thanks for the pix. It looks like we have the same model. As mentioned, I'm going to replace the heat shield when we get home and try to run the AC to see if it shuts down. If it still shuts down after putting the heat shield back on, I'll remove the control panel and check the exciter. Is there a way of determining if it has failed?
Gary, if the exciter circuit is not working, the gen will stop when you let go of the start button. Its easy and visual. Above the control panel is where the exciter brush assy is located and is held in w one screw. Remove it and see if the brushes are sticking. Cheap fix, less than $60. I attached a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_8325.jpg
    IMG_8325.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1
Dick, then it's not the exciter circuit. Haven't had that experience.
Gary if it starts ok and runs, then shuts off when it heats up, my next step is to replace the fuel pump. I had that issue as well. Fuel pumps and filter kits available all over Amazon cheap. Less than $30. I'd replace the pump and all the fuel hoses at the back there with new clamps, and filter. Mine ran, then 30 mins down the road it stopped. Replaced the pump and has run like a top since. You could actually feel and hear my pump running but it wasn't pumping gas. Before I spend $500-800 on a new board thats what I would and did do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom